local YMAX = 200
local XMIN = -200
local XMAX = 200
local ZMIN = -200
local ZMAX = 200
local YMAXSPA = -13 -- Maximum y for initial catacomb spawn and steps in air
[...]
local OBCHECK = false
Then added as suggested by azekill_DIABLO , in the default -> mapgen.lua, just after the copper entry, then edited the y min and max for those spawners to not spawn too deep too

Code: Select all

-- dungeons_node_mod

minetest.register_ore({
      ore_type       = "scatter",
      ore            = "catacomb:chambers",
      wherein        = "default:stone",
      clust_scarcity = 18 * 18 * 18,
      clust_num_ores = 1,
      clust_size     = 1,
      y_min          = -200,
      y_max          = -20,
   })

minetest.register_ore({
      ore_type       = "scatter",
      ore            = "catacomb:chambern",
      wherein        = "default:stone",
      clust_scarcity = 14 * 14 * 14,
      clust_num_ores = 1,
      clust_size     = 1,
      y_min          = -200,
      y_max          = -20,
   })
Then generated a relatively (as it's still very huge) small world using map_generation_limit = 400 in the minetest.conf

After flying over large parts of my world , i noticed in the log window that there was catacomb stuff being constantly added.
And coming back to a part of the world i found visually interesting, i started to see appear out of nowhere huge holes that filled themselves with stones walls, other intersecting, with several opening toward the depths, while they weren't there a couple of minutes ago.
http://i.imgur.com/LVXE0Wn.jpg

I decided to go in and see what was happening underground
It was lots of fun to try to explore, but what a nightmare, the catacombs are building themselves non stop now as if living monsters were there, corridors, platforms, stairs, huge chambers are taking the place of every kind of ground in the depths in every directions.
I am even surprised at this point Minetest didn't explode, it's been only a dozen of minutes that world started to exist. :D
http://i.imgur.com/26CRkqP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9C9kPB5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MA0Q8UZ.jpg
And that's a small part of what's in the underground, it goes on near infinitively in all directions at that point., it's so incredible that you can only be in awe when playing in front of that gigantic thing

There's an amazing potential for awesome undeground structures this way in minetest, the only bad is that there's no way to stop what's going on (in the log there are non stop catacomb stuff being happening) meaning there is probably a crash coming soon.

Maybe if possible an optional timer (that you can set yourself in the conf), so after a world is generated and started to be explored, once the timer , all the catacomb generating script stop definitively, so someone wanting to go with the very interesting giant maze can still hope to play long enough to explore.

Sure you can disable the and change the min max settings, but the structures are then nowhere near as incredible to explore.
I'll never look at the default mapgen dungeons the same anymore when i witnessed that :D .

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] Unlimited dungeon generator [0.3.7] [catacomb]

by paramat » Post

Heh it is nuts when you set OBCHECK to false, if you set that to true it settles down after a while and is not so insane.
Each part of the dungeon generates by ABM when a player gets near each spawner node, so it generates as you explore it.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

I wouldn't say nuts with OBCHECK false, i would say amazing :D

So it's a question of player distance to the spawner nodes, good to know as i thought it was just automatic and never stopping.
Is it possible to control that distance between a player and the actual node (as i guess i should lower it to avoid the dungeon getting out of control that fast) ?

Is there a variable about it in the actual mod, or is it all about active_block_range from the minetest.conf ?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> active_block_range from the minetest.conf

^ That, but i don't recommend reducing that as that affects all ABMs and active objects (mobs).
You would actually want to raise it so that the dungeon generates earlier and at a further distance from the player. In 0.4.15dev it has been raised to 3 blocks. But i don't recommend changing this just for this mod as it affects so much of the game.

Raise parameter ABMINT to slow down generation.

The dungeon doesn't get out of control (with OBCHECK true) because it is size-limited to a blob of 3D noise, so after a while it will not expand beyond a certain size (roughly 256 nodes).
It is also limited to the MIN MAX limits you set.

With OBCHECK false it may never stop generating, this is more for fun than practical behaviour.
However with OBCHECK false you can later halt generation at any point by setting the GEN parameter to false, or for generation to stop at a certain density, set OBCHECK to true.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Thank you, i'll try to play with the values and see what works more nicely for me, as once you tasted the awesome of OBCHECK false with that catacomb it's hard to ever try to enter in a "normal" dungeon without being disapointed.

atlasmoon
In-game: atlasmoon

by atlasmoon » Post

Hi Team
There is this wonderful MOD :
[Mod]Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16295&hilit=WorldEdit

But when I use both of those MODs "Catacomb" + "TBM", I keep facing the issue that when catacomb generate new "room" or corridor, sometime it "eat" my boring machine. So could you please make it that catacomb reorganize "TBM" block and doesn't generate over them (So I can keep digging and same time generating catacomb, and avoid seeing my machine disappear when a new room is generated and have to build new one).

Also, catacomb is a GREAT mod, but If I may suggest :
  • It should not generate wall when it is on rock, so we can "mine", this may be wonderful (you may make generating block that doesn't create wall when facing rock only) (LOTR / Hobbit ;) ).
    It should not destroy existing generated dungeon, but "connect" to them.
    It should give the possibility to use pre existing template for rooms (a set of templates that generate together), so we may have catacomb with "better" rooms and we can put inside treasure, chests and MOB,even maybe use doors.
Thanks team

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

To check for all TBM nodes for every node excavated would slow down this mod, but you could do this by altering the code if you want.
This mod doesn't destroy cobble dungeons, but currently destroys desert or sandstone dungeons.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

paramat wrote:To check for all TBM nodes for every node excavated would slow down this mod, but you could do this by altering the code if you want.
This mod doesn't destroy cobble dungeons, but currently destroys desert or sandstone dungeons.
Is there anything I could flag the Digtron's nodes with, besides ground_content = false? Maybe you could add some sort of "catacomb_mapgen_ignore" group to this mod that I could put on Digtron nodes?

If there's no way to add this in a general way without slowing down Catacomb, maybe add it as a user-configurable option to allow it to play nicer with other mods like this when they happen to be installed together. I could send you a pull request if you want me to do the work, weekend's coming up and I'll have some spare time.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

My mod doesn't look at 'is_ground_content', the only way to stop certain nodes being eaten is to add their content ids to these checks https://github.com/paramat/catacomb/blo ... t.lua#L414
The mod is very destructive and dungeons are meant to be generated by visiting them before anything valuable is placed nearby, remember it can also extend into nearby previously generated world (see the warning and set the limits).

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

paramat wrote:My mod doesn't look at 'is_ground_content', the only way to stop certain nodes being eaten is to add their content ids to these checks https://github.com/paramat/catacomb/blo ... t.lua#L414
The mod is very destructive and dungeons are meant to be generated by visiting them before anything valuable is placed nearby, remember it can also extend into nearby previously generated world (see the warning and set the limits).
This looks like a workable place to add some compatibility checks. How about adding this as a publicly accessible table:

Code: Select all

catacombs.protected_nodes = {[c_air] = true, [c_ignore] = true, [c_cobble] = true, [c_mobble] = true, [c_stobble] = true, [c_leaves] = true, [c_jleaves] = true, [c_apple] = true}
and then made that check simply "if not catacombs.protected_nodes[nodeid] then". Then I can add an optional dependency in Digtron and insert Digtron's node ids into that table myself, and other mods could do likewise if they needed to defend themselves against catacombs. Might be a bit more computationally efficient using a hash table lookup rather than a chain of comparisons, too.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I've made a fork implementing this protection method over at https://github.com/FaceDeer/catacomb/, and updated Digtron to make use of it. It seems to be working on my local test world. Wound up adding two separate "protected node" tables, one for chambers and one for passages, since passages are meant to eat into worldgen dungeons and place stairs in air whereas chambers leave worldgen dungeons and air alone.

For other modders' reference, here's where I added catacomb defense in Digtron (ignore the stray minetest.debug call, I didn't clean up properly before submitting :) Something similar should work for any mod that fears the catacombs.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yeah it's best you make a fork as i tend to want to keep my mod exactly as i want it.