[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.47] [mobs]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Every now and then I seem to get this error. It has only started occuring since I enabled the Mobs_MC pack although the error indicate mobs_animals.

Code: Select all

2018-09-27 21:30:57: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mobs_animal' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...64\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mobs_redo/api.lua:3250: attempt to index field 'collisionbox' (a nil value)
2018-09-27 21:30:57: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-27 21:30:57: ERROR[Main]: 	...64\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mobs_redo/api.lua:3250: in function <...64\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\mobs_redo/api.lua:3177>
At the moment I'm only running mobs mods but a fair few of them:
mobs, mobs_npc, mobs_animal, mobs_monster, mob_horse, mobs_crocs, mobs_fish, mobs_jellyfish, mobs_sharks, mobs_turtle, mobs_mc

Ill try turning off mobs_mc and see if it stops over the next few days

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

Nordal wrote:Is there anything to do against this monster shooting fireballs? How to protect yourself and how to kill it? It's down in the cave and sits on my bones and stuff. I want to have it back, please!
Several ways:

*Wear armor
*Dodge fireballs and attack with a sword
*Stay arround, but not too close and wait untill it despawns
*Use a gun/bow
*Approach your bones, while building a wall of obsidian, to prevent fireballs
*Dig a tunnel under it, to grab your bones and run away afterwards
*Try to get another dungeon master to shoot it
*Ask a more skilled player to help you fight it
*Try to distract it and trap it, so it doesn't disturb you no more.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

sirrobzeroone: what version of Minetest are you using ? also are you running the latest mobs api ?

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Minetest version is: minetest-0.4.17.1-win64
mobs.version = "20180719"

I did alittle more testing TenPlus1 tonight I'm going do a fresh Minetest install + api + only mobs_animal and mobs_mc and see if I can reproduce the error.

So far on my existing install:
If I disable mobs_mc then everything works okay with mobs_animals, if I disable mobs_animals then MC seems okay, two together generates the above error.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I ran the latest api and mobs_mc while spawning in many of the mobs and so far it all works fine for me, but just incase something is tampering with mob self. settings I've added a nil check to the api so please update and give that a try :)

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

How much work would it be to make the mobs "fade in" (along the alpha channel) on spawn and fade out on death/timer expiration? Right now they kinda appear and disappear abruptly.

Another thought,

specific_attack = {"modname:mob"},
works pretty well but it would be neat if it could be coupled with an attack_chance to determine whether or not the mob attacks at any given moment; right now it's the moment the target mob is in sight it's gogogo. Maybe some internal counter to wait before attacking the next mob.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

acidzebra: entities do not support alpha/transparency in minetest so fading in and out cannot be done so easily... As for attack_chance, I could look into adding that feature.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Instead of fading entities, how about checking for angles where players aren’t looking at the moment and spawn mobs there?

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

texmex wrote:Instead of fading entities, how about checking for angles where players aren’t looking at the moment and spawn mobs there?
You'd never encounter mobs when only moving forward, which happens while exploring.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Isn’t that just because spawning ABMs in new map chunks takes some time to fire in comparison to ABMs in already loaded map chunks?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The API tries to have mobs spawning at least 12 blocks away from the player so they don't appear right in front of them, if I had to check for angles in the mix the spawning abm would be more intensive and cause lag, plus mobs moving forward through say a maze would never appear cause you are facing that direction.

Update: The 'attack_chance' has been added to the API, it defaults to 5 but you can have any number between 0 and 99 in there.

texmex

by texmex » Post

What about the line of sight function?

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:acidzebra: entities do not support alpha/transparency in minetest so fading in and out cannot be done so easily... As for attack_chance, I could look into adding that feature.
It seems it will be available on next minetest version (not tested yet) (EDIT: See this PR).

I wanted to play with it while developping LATE but it only allows full invisibility yet.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Update: The 'attack_chance' has been added to the API, it defaults to 5 but you can have any number between 0 and 99 in there.
Awesome, going to have a play with this. Thanks!

As for the pop-in/pop-out in mobs, the thing which annoys me most is when you're stalking a mob and it just pops out of existence. I thought it was a bug before I understood it just times out and dies. If alpha use isn't an option (and that PR may or may not make it to live), how about either using scaling (scale in/scale out) or alternatively resetting the "kill timer" for as long as the NPC is in view of the player? This would ensure that as long as you're looking at a mob, it won't randomly despawn on you. Either way it would be nice if mobs dying of "old age" would leave some indication that that's what happened.
Last edited by acidzebra on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

acidzebra wrote:If alpha use isn't an option (and that PR may or may not make it to live), how about either using scaling (scale in/scale out)
Seeing a mob grow into and shrink out of existence would be cool.
acidzebra wrote:or alternatively resetting the "kill timer" for as long as the NPC is in view of the player? This would ensure that as long as you're looking at a mob, it won't randomly despawn on you.
The kill timer probably prevents mobs from building up around a player. The mod would need to track or query the mobs in a mapblock and not continue to spawn more if some are already there.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

mobs tend not to despawn if you are within 12 blocks, but with client/server lag the checks arent always 100% and it'll despawn anyhoo.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Mobs popping out of nowhere is something that even game studios can't always solve. That doesn't mean we can't give it a try, but putting all of the burden on Mobs Redo is probably too much to ask, because I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution. You would actually need two solutions to begin with, because what could work in single-player (e.g. spawning mobs outside of the FOV of the player) won't work in multi-player.

There are ad hoc solutions. For instance MobSky spawns birds in tree leaves, so you rarely notice a bird popping out of nowhere. Maybe one could make sheep spawn from bushes to obtain the same result. Dirt monsters or zombies could spawn slightly in the ground rather than above the ground.

Another approach could be "well, if we can't hide it, let's show it". One can add particle effects on spawning, so that for instance lava flans seem to come out of lava bubbles that pop on the surface of a lava lake; cows could drop from the sky and land safely: that would add a comical effect to a game in which the general atmosphere allows it.

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

Astrobe wrote:Another approach could be "well, if we can't hide it, let's show it". One can add particle effects on spawning, so that for instance lava flans seem to come out of lava bubbles that pop on the surface of a lava lake; cows could drop from the sky and land safely: that would add a comical effect to a game in which the general atmosphere allows it.
I like it but is that possible with the current setup? There is on_spawn but I think that starts the moment we already show the mob to the player and and on_die but I don't think that takes despawning due to expired timer into account (I'd have to doublecheck, I thought I looked at that already).

In general this would be great but would depend on every mod author to do some kind of spawning/despawning schtick for that specific mob. A generalized "if you don't do specify anything else, this is how mobs spawn/despawn" would be sweet (other than just unceremoniously popping in/out of existence).

The important part is some sort of feedback to the player that signals what is going on, like maybe have all mobs appear/disappear in a puff of smoke or something :D

zasnool

by zasnool » Post

Monsters very rarely spawn. I have only seen a single cow in an hour of roaming to find a place to set up a base. I was hoping to kill a couple of sheeps for the wool on the way, and no luck there.
I have installed And didn't change any settings yet. Except "mob chance multiplier" I have tried setting it to 500 and 0.1(because I did a search and some posts say the lower the number is the higher the chance)
And what do I need to have creepers and zombies and skeletons to spawn?

u34

by u34 » Post

zasnool wrote: And what do I need to have creepers and zombies and skeletons to spawn?
you have to add mobs_mc for this.

zasnool

by zasnool » Post

cHyper wrote:
zasnool wrote: And what do I need to have creepers and zombies and skeletons to spawn?
you have to add mobs_mc for this.
Thanks, that also seem to have solved the rare spawning issue.

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

davidthecreator wrote:
Nordal wrote:Is there anything to do against this monster shooting fireballs? How to protect yourself and how to kill it? It's down in the cave and sits on my bones and stuff. I want to have it back, please!
Several ways:

*Wear armor
*Dodge fireballs and attack with a sword
*Stay arround, but not too close and wait untill it despawns
*Use a gun/bow
*Approach your bones, while building a wall of obsidian, to prevent fireballs
*Dig a tunnel under it, to grab your bones and run away afterwards
*Try to get another dungeon master to shoot it
*Ask a more skilled player to help you fight it
*Try to distract it and trap it, so it doesn't disturb you no more.
Thank you very much for this very complete list of possible actions! :))
A bow and improving my armor will be my first moves before the next attempt.
CFS - still widely unknown

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

also consider taking a bucket of water down into his realm and place a water node upstream of the dungeon master. Drowning the beast is usually the cheapest and safest way to get rid of him.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

A question how do I adjust the code to have pandas appear in a non-ethereal environment
I find them very adorable

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Use the mob api to spawn them elsewhere, e.g.

mobs:spawn({
		name = "mobs_animal:panda",
		nodes = {"default:dirt_with_dry_grass"},
		neighbors = {"group:dry_grass"},
		min_light = 14,
		interval = 60,
		chance = 15000
		min_height = 10,
		max_height = 50,
		day_toggle = true,
	})