[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.50] [mobs]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Systemerror - I think the only mob type that attacks players on sight is monsters but you can set the type to monsters for any entity. I did it with cow at one point, nasty beasts when they are violent.

from the api.txt
'type' holds the type of mob that inhabits your world e.g.
"animal" usually docile and walking around.
"monster" attacks player or npc on sight.
"npc" walk around and will defend themselves if hit first, they
kill monsters.

SystemError
In-game: Havoc

by SystemError » Post

I know, that's why I asked how to change this in the api, because I'm working on a big mobs_mod with over 30 factions
and some of them are supposed to hate players, but if i would just declare them as monsters they wouldn't attack each others.
Are you threatening me !?

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Would specific attack do the trick? although the setup might be a bit of a nightmare:
'specific_attack' has a table of entity names that mob can also attack
e.g. {"player", "mobs_animal:chicken"}.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Hey 10+1

I recently added the minetest.find_path() to my monitoring mod:
https://github.com/thomasrudin-mt/monit ... ath.lua#L4

Looks like that thing consumes quite some cpu-time:

There are spikes up to 10 seconds (left) and sometimes a base-lag (right) of a second for about 10 minutes :X

Is there an alternative to that call in the mobs_redo mod or some kind of performance optimization?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The minetest.find_path is used mostly for pahtfinding in certain monsters and yes, it does need optimized but for now there's no other way I can do it.

also... the new raycasting line_of_sight has been disabled for now due to mob attack issues.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

With the current spawn mechanism, I only see mobs when I stay in one place for some time.
When I explore new regions, I never meet any mobs as long as I'm moving. So regarding monsters, I am safe as long as I'm on the run.
Could you please implement something like "register_on_generated" to spawn some mobs on world generation, so I could run into mobs while going where no man has gone before?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mob spawning needs to be looked at in some depth at one point, currently mobs will not spawn if the player is within 12 nodes of them which stops monsters spawning right on top of you, so maybe I will lower this value and yes, also look into on_generated spawning for some mobs :)

...also if it helps, since mob settings were tailored more for a starter world, I added the ability to change specific spawn settings within the minetest.conf file by adding a line something like:

Code: Select all

mobs_monster:dirt_monster 5000,5    <-- spawn 5 dirt monsters per mapblock at 1/5000 chance
mobs_animal:cow ,10                 <-- spawn 10 cows per mapblock but keep existing chance value
Check the api.txt file for more information on other mob api settings: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/mobs_redo/ ... i.txt#L597

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Mobs will only spawn if player is within active area, this helps with mods that use world anchors to force load areas.
- Mobs will not spawn within 8 blocks of any player (reduced from 12)
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

On the topic of on_generated based mob spawning: https://github.com/minetest-mods/mob-en ... -493704232
I want to suggest a different solution to mob spawning.

Low-frequent randomized spawning is cool to keep things interesting over a longer period of time, I guess.

But what’d be really interesting would be to spawn mobs into the world not by timers and chance but according to a noise pattern. This noise pattern can be based on the world seed so that it’s reproducable, just like the map itself. The mobs should never expire but death be permanent. The spawning process should use thematized by use of biome checking. This is cool for several reasons:
  • Immersion will increase as players need to take care not to exterminate flocks of animals forever in a region, but instead hunt responsibly and perhaps nurture the population as well.
  • Players will be able to refer to not only good map spots but good mob spots by position and seed only.
  • Moar
Last edited by texmex on Sun Jun 30, 2019 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Upgrade-related question:

I haven't updated the mobs (animal, monster, horse, npc) and the api for a few months.
If i pull the latest commits will this be compatible? (as in: no unknown nodes/entities)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Upgrade-related question:

I haven't updated the mobs (animal, monster, horse, npc) and the api for a few months.
If i pull the latest commits will this be compatible? (as in: no unknown nodes/entities)
Yes, those mods are self-contained and only depend on the mobs_redo API. Also, I don't think the items in mobs_redo have changed much. You should be able to update without any problems. I do that on my server and things work out.

Unrelated, but its funny that I'm replying to you this morning. I spent last night looking at your mods and github page and am planning to use some stuff like spacesuits, void, and spacepacks on my own server. I checked out Pandorabox too to check out how some of the mods work.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Could you allow for multiple mob arrows each with a 3d vector offset? I need a way to do this:
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I did try to do this at one point but for the mob above you would need a custom attack function for multiple offsets (each arm) and to fire at different intervals. Any help with actual api implementation would be appreciated :)

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Can't really pin it down to closer than the last couple weeks (I've hardly been playing, and the students who have noticed but didn't say anything, and now can't remember when it started), but dwarves (mobs_dwarves) are having a tough time taking down zombies (zombies). They will get surrounded and do their attack routine repeatedly, but only rarely does anything go down. And, of course, the dwarves are totally immune to the zombies. You have to go over and help them out, and be really careful not to click on the dwarf when things move around. A few weeks ago, they were one- or two-shotting zombies all by themselves.

I don't really know where to start looking. Neither zombies or dwarves have any recent changes.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

ThorfinnS,
A bit off topic, but do you know where I can find a copy of the mobs_dwarves mod? I've been searching for it, but haven't been able to find an online copy. I wanted to test it out.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Give me a sec. I'll push it to my git. Unless it's already there...

Done.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thorfinn, this may have been due to the new raycasting routine used for mobs to see, it has been disabled in the API for now and we are using the old code which works once again with mob attacks, update api.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

ok, thanks. Just wanted you to be aware of it in case it helps when you look into other issues.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I come across a lot of mods (such as creeper mods, for example) that no longer work properly because their collisonbox is not set properly.

At some point it seems like MT was updated and the collision boxes needed to be moved up in mobs. If I manually update this on old mobs, the mob floats in the air a bit. How can I correct this? Do I need to edit the 3D model? or is there a different parameter.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Point out any mods that no longer work and if it's a pack then I can amend and upload beside the other fixed mods on my git page :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

sirrobzeroone wrote: I think it's good enough, I managed the squash the odd water behavior so now the cow wont try and lay down while swimming. I couldn't find a hook for jumping so no luck there. Theres also a slight Graphic hitch if your holding hay and near a laying cow but not close enough so that the cow wont try and walk to you it will insta-stand and sit again (less than 1 sec), something to do with the follow sequence i'd guess. From what I can tell you can feed cows on the ground no worries and milk them....okay not the best on the milking :).
Thank you! Perfection may not be possible, but I'm very glad that they may lie down now. No more starving cows :-) It looks a lot more realistic if they lie down sometimes instead of jumping so frequently.
A list of my mods can be found here.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Point out any mods that no longer work and if it's a pack then I can amend and upload beside the other fixed mods on my git page :)
Most of the creeper mods seem to be out of date (the ones in this topic and the one in mobs_mc). With a newer version of MT, these older mobs tends to target the players feet, so it can never trigger its explode action and instead just hugs the player trying to reach their feet.

One of my players reported that it only works when you're standing a node above the creeper. I suspect this is something with the way models are rendered or programmed in blender? When I try to apply a proper collisionbox, it results in the mob offset by 1 node in the air. I've seen this type of thing happen with several types of mobs that shoot arrows or explode.

What I ended up doing was using the model from your mobs_npc mod and registering a new mob with a new texture that had mostly the same attributes as the creeper I was working with. It turned out really nice. I retextured it to a TNT block guy and named it "Boomer" to distance myself from MC. This way I still have the fun concept without the association! :)

I've been meaning to use the mobs_npc's model with more mobs to be more efficient when sending assets to players. A lot of mob packs come with a lot of model assets that are somewhat unnecessary. I first noticed you did this type of thing on Xanadu. I've only recently become comfortable enough with the engine and API to do this myself. I suppose I could point it to the model in the default players_api mod, but I've strayed away from doing that due to a previous attempt that failed.

EDIT: I've attached a standalone version of my boomer mob here: mobs_boomer. I've never shared anything before, but I tried to comply as best I could with standards I've seen. I've tested this standalone version and it works fine, no errors.

The mob spawns anywhere there are solid nodes in the world, in darkness, and does not die in the light. It has an interval of 60 and a fair chance to spawn. It can be ignited with flint and steel. It drops default:gunpowder.
Attachments
mobs_boomer.zip
mobs_boomer
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Last edited by FreeGamers on Fri Jul 19, 2019 06:37, edited 4 times in total.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I'll upload the creeper that I use on Xanadu in that case, it works fine... Question though, do you want creeper spawning in world on grass at night ? or should I change to something a little less destructive ?

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I just posted the version I've created before I saw your (quick) reply. I didn't know there was a creeper on Xanadu! I guess I'm lucky to not have bumped into it yet. Do you use mobs_npc to make some your monsters? I have a lot of work to do to uncouple models with their mobs and recouple them with the default model. I think that's really clever and efficient to reuse the default model for mobs instead of adding a thousand different models!

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

For anyone interested here's a working Creeper mod: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/creeper