[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.5] [mobs]

by MoNTE48 » Post

Yes, I agree.
Could you make this mod fork and fully adapted for this mod? And add the egg caviar.
It would also be nice to do insturktsiyu tuning HUD mod for your this mod.

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

Folks,

I have a few questions about how this mod is implemented. I've been trying to tweak a few items to better suit my singleplayer design, but being new to MT/MC and lua, I'm in need of some assistance.

1a) After looking at the lua files for various mobs, I'm trying to understand the numbers in this line (tweaked by me):

"mobs:register_spawn("mobs:dungeon_master", {"default:stone"}, 2, -1, 7000, 1, -100)"

I know that the last value is the level below sea level where the mob will spawn, no higher. I know that one of them has to do with the light level--I think it's the "-1", but I could be wrong. What I'm wanting to do is control the light level at which various mobs will spawn. I tried the SimpleMobs++ mod, but I had Dungeon Masters spawning above ground and INSIDE my base in the middle of the day! Why have a base with doors on it if this can happen?

1b) If the "-1" is the light level, what does this value represent? I thought the values for light ranged from 1 to 15? Is this a special value for, say, "any light level"?

1c) Does the relative placement of the light source have any impact on the spawning potential? In MC, there was some mention at one point about placing torches on the FLOOR, not walls, as mobs only spawned on the floor. By maximizing the intensity of light on the floor itself, you could more effectively prevent mob spawning in highly-enclosed areas like tight caverns. What controls the actual spawning conditions and where is that stored--in the line that I quoted above, or somewhere else, or both?

2) Can non-flying mobs climb ladders, or is this an effective barrier to them? I only play singleplayer right now, so no other players are present.

3) Assuming the answer to Question #2 is "no, they cannot climb", then what is the use for trapdoors in singleplayer mode? Purely aesthetics?

4) Is there a way to have hostile mobs attack each other, similar to what happens with skeletons in MC? I'd like to have this as a possibility.

Thanks for any information you can provide, and please be patient. I'm still learning both minetest and lua.
LodeRunner
Wait...didn't I just explore this cavern?

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

to 1a look here: https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs/blob/m ... i.lua#L779
this is the great advantage of open source, that you can look into the code if the documentation bad.

function mobs:register_spawn(name, nodes, max_light, min_light, chance, active_object_count, max_height, min_dist, max_dist, spawn_func)

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

Addi,
addi wrote:to 1a look here: https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs/blob/m ... i.lua#L779
this is the great advantage of open source, that you can look into the code if the documentation bad.

function mobs:register_spawn(name, nodes, max_light, min_light, chance, active_object_count, max_height, min_dist, max_dist, spawn_func)
Wow, thanks for the quick service! I knew that I'd seen the parameter names somewhere, but I was just tired enough that I couldn't locate the exact place.

This would seem to confirm my comment about the "-1" having special significance, as you can't have a luminosity of -1 in the real world AFAIK.

Any additional thoughts, folks?
LodeRunner

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

Hello,
Could someone give me image, where is showed parts of the mobs ?? I want to make new textures :)

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

AMMOnym wrote:Hello,
Could someone give me image, where is showed parts of the mobs ?? I want to make new textures :)
Just download the mod and edit the textures inside the textures folder. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which parts are which, either.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

I'm having a small problem with chicken eggs.

Over the past few hours of game time, my section of the map has been overrun by chickens. While the chickens themselves are not always present, I can't walk 2 feet without running into 18 or so eggs. Literally, it looks like snow out there on the hills. I dialed back the egg dropping random number by about 4x, but that doesn't remove all the eggs currently littering the landscape.

1) Is there a way to remove ONLY the eggs from the game and thereby reset the local landscape? I'd like to preserve the rest of the game state.
2) Can this mod be updated to "un-spawn" eggs after a time? In reality, they would obviously go bad anyway.

Thanks for the help, folks!
LodeRunner

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

If you have WorldEdit installed on your standalone game you could use that to select an area and remove eggs... e.g

//p set
//replace mobs:egg air

1st commang lets you set the area by punching 2 nodes (top left, bottom right or area)
2nd command replaces any eggs with air

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

TenPlus1,

Hello and thanks for the tip. This is the second time that someone has suggested WorldEdit to solve a particular problem, so I think I'll have a look at it.

By punching two nodes, I'm assuming you're referring to when I'm looking at the map, not when I'm actually in-game. Am I correct?

Thanks again for your help. I've learned some helpful things from reading your posts in the Mods subforum.
LodeRunner

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

WE runs ingame, so you indeed punch nodes ingame, may need some practice on non valueable worlds as WE is a very powerfull tool to wreck a map easily.

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

twoelk,

Thanks for the clarification. I have since read the on-line tutorial and have installed it, so I have a better idea about how it functions. Sorry for being such a noob there for a moment. I'll see what I can do.

I did have some luck solving this problem by using the mod that removes "unknown" items. (I forget the name of it). I changed the lua script and added mob:egg and it cleared out just the eggs, which is what I needed.

Thanks again for the additional instructions!
LodeRunner

abcd_z

by abcd_z » Post

I haven't seen any mobs on the overworld, day or night.

I used the "/spawnentity mobs:sheep" command to spawn a sheep. It worked, but I also got the error "15:29:11: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "yaw" inside a function at /home/brenco/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:447".

I was exploring when I saw some sort of bipedal mob floating in the water, but as I approached it disappeared and gave me the exact same error.

I'm running the daily build from the PPA and the version number is 201411302216-0~3117~ubuntu14.04.1

Any idea what this problem is and how to fix it?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Will update fix shortly...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

0.6 released with new multi-textures for mobs... chickens, oerkki, dungeon master and rats have random skins selected when spawning so they have different looks in-game...

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

TenPlus1,

I noticed something yesterday while testing out an unrelated mod. The Sand Monsters (and Stone, I think) don't appear to do any damage to the player. They just appear to ram into you over and over, doing no harm. The Tree Monsters definitely hurt you, and the Dirt Monsters I think do. I'll try to check this out more thoroughly.

Any ideas? There's no error, they just don't seem to do anything hurtful (other than annoy the heck out of you when you're digging / mining).
LodeRunner

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

are you wearing armor ?

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

new mobs look great!

LodeRunner

by LodeRunner » Post

TenPlus1,

Actually, yes, I am. But the armor doesn't appear to have taken any damage. I've had the same set of steel armor for a LOOONG time and it's not like I've been running from every mob I see. Falling appears to have damaged the armor, but hits from mobs don't appear to damage it. I'll try to confirm all this tonight, I if get the time.

I also confirmed that the mese shards that are ejected by the mese monster do no damage to the player. Fireballs from the DM DO damage the player, but they don't appear to damage the armor.

I know that's kind of an odd mish-mash of observations, but I've been tweaking a couple of existing mods, including this one, so I've been accumulating various information during my own testing.

Anything else I can do to help?

BTW, how does everyone pronounce "mese"? Is it "MEH-seh" (short "e" sounds) or "MEE-seh" (long "e")?
LodeRunner

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Will have to look into damage setup for armor... and I pronounce it Mee'se :P

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: and I pronounce it Mee'se :P
Me too. But I didn't invent it.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

Today I pulled the recent minetest git and now I've got an error when I try to tame cows:

"Assignment to undeclared global "tool" inside a function at .... mods/mobs/cow.lua:40".

Is it a bug in minetest dev or in the mod?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thankfully just an error message and taming of cows still works, will sort error and update...

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.7] [mobs]

by Inocudom » Post

Cyberpangolen uploaded these sound effects recently:
viewforum.php?f=9
I think they will improve this mod considerably.

linuxman
In-game: BatteryJuice

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.8] [mobs]

by linuxman » Post

Is it possible for passive mobs to not despawn.
I want to make a farm. I would like passive mobs to spawn when I enter the game/area and never despawn/spawn later.

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [0.8] [mobs]

by TenPlus1 » Post

If you tame a sheared sheep, milked cow or hog with 8 wheat they will stick around and not despawn...

Note: new sounds added to monsters, chicken and rat...