[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

u18398

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.50] [mobs]

by u18398 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:I'm using notabug.org as it works well for my needs and it's not Microsoft...
I never understood that Microsoft issue. Anyone could make a fork of your mod and put it on github if he wants to.
So it is back to Microsoft ...

Snake bites its tail.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

If that is your argument, why does it matter if he uses Notabug? Its just another git repo site. You can just access it and clone it if you really need to. Microsoft is pretty well known for its past anti-competitive practices. The point is not to have a dependency on Microsoft for those reasons. So when your user account and repos are all tied to Microsoft and they decide to tighten their grip on their user-base to abuse them for profit, you aren't stuck because you have grown complacent. Microsoft is not a friend of Linux, open-source, nor free-software. They rely on proprietary technologies and now data-mining their user-base as business models. That is something some people do not want to be a part of or contribute to Microsoft platforms for.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

u18398

by u18398 » Post

FreeGamers wrote:If that is your argument, why does it matter if he uses Notabug?
You misunderstood something. It is not about using, it is about suddenly moving after Microsoft bought Github.
Your code was already there, will be there and can easily be moved again there. So it is not very clever imho to move,
only because some diffuse fear of Microsoft.
Datamining will not be very valuable, there are no private data checks when opening an account. If you are concerned about datamining, I hope you do not use any mobile smartphone.
But that is all off topic and should be moved somewhere else. Everyone can use the git server he likes to or even set up his own one.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

There are good reasons to not like Microsoft. For some, that is good enough reason to switch to a git alternative, such as myself. Some people just like convenience or what they are used to or saw on TV. Please feel free to install an Alexa device in your home, It can tell you jokes while it spies on you.

Data-mining isn't just about personal information entered at sign up, its about profiling, tracking across the web, and building profiles on individuals and communites. Over the last half decade, Microsoft has been stepping up its ability to build profiles on people and gather personal information. For example, Windows 10 added a plethora of features that do just that.

What does a phone have to do with this? Because you don't have privacy in one area, you should concede to have it at all? Is that what you are saying? It is not good to have defeatist attitude in life. My phone is completely de-Googlized and I don't use any programs that are invasive to my personal data on my mobile phone. All the user apps are open-source. Sure, the mobile network tracks people as part of its function, and their are some closed blobs to run the hardware, but in terms of software, it is doesn't leak any personal contact information at all. More improvements in this area are just on the horizon too. Soon there will be phones on the market with hardware kill switches on all the radios and communication arrays(mic+cams). There are some nice encryption services that can allow secure communication as well. There are alternatives if you are willing to fight and adapt.

You don't have concede to the will of big companies just to use technology. A little bit of willpower over time can make a difference to you and those around you. I want to keep as much freedom and privacy that I can for myself. Microsoft doesn't have that interest. Why would I concede myself to use their services and grow their influence when there are suitable alternatives readily available (and do the job that is needed)? There are very good reasons not to use systems that gather your personal information and distribute it, or to do business with those that are involved in that type of practice. Yes its commonplace for many companies, but I am full of vigor and spirit when it comes to maintaining my rights and avoiding tyrannical companies. Thus, I try to stay away from entities that perpetuate that behavior.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Adnunano

by Adnunano » Post

Is it possible to add social intreactions between animals?For example sheeps or cows becoming together to build a herd.And a bull would be nice too protect their herd.You can check out survivalcraft 2 game for inspiration.It has a lot of good mob interaction.And other good things.
NfAPhpmGaVphBjK8NIr9Mit5xNW2emD2

dustyFrog

by dustyFrog » Post

I am experiencing random crashes from the mobs api on Minetest 5.2.0-dev-e8a8185 (Linux)

Code: Select all

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback luaentity_Step(): /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:251: attempt to index local 'v' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:251: in function 'get_velocity'
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:989: in function 'do_jump'
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:2082: in function 'do_states'
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3252: in function </home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3100>
Or I find this message in ~/.minetest/debug.txt after the crash:

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback luaentity_Step(): /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:235: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
       /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:235: in function 'set_velocity'
       /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:2022: in function 'do_states'
       /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3252: in function </home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3100>
singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
Server: Shutting down
I have installed the following mods from the in-game browser:
3darmor
dreambuilder_modpack (disabled inventory_sorter, asphaltstairs)
ethereal
findbiome
hbarmor
hbhunger
hudbars
hud_compass
mobs
mobs_animal
nether
snowdrift
ts_workshop
xdecor

Thank you very much for your help!

edit: added different error message

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@dustyfrog - somehow a mod is trying to set mob velocity to a nil value which doesn't work, I'll add a nil check in the api just incase and update today.

dustyFrog

by dustyFrog » Post

@TenPlus1
Thank you for your quick reply. I have just downloaded and tested mobs_redo including your latest commit 62bd960e38. Unfortunately, the game crashed again with the 2nd error message from my previous post.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@dustyFrog - is it possible to tell me what happened before the error occured in the logs, I cannot reproduce it at all?

dustyFrog

by dustyFrog » Post

@TenPlus1
I do not know what is happening. Due to the error message I suspect that an animal (I don't know where) is trying to jump, which somehow triggers the crash.
I have checked line 993 (former 989) in the updated mobs/api.lua:

and self:get_velocity() > 0.5 
According to Minetest's lua_api.txt the value returned by get_velocity is a vector. As I am not familiar with Lua I wonder whether the comparison with a scalar works?
And what is the difference between setvelocity and set_velocity? In sheep.lua and chicken.lua setvelocity is called but in kitten.lua it's set_velocity.
I will try to find some time to learn Lua and Minetest's modding interface. I really like that Minetest is open source and that there is an active community supporting and expanding it.

dustyFrog

by dustyFrog » Post

@TenPlus1
setvelocity is just an alias for set_velocity - understood

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback luaentity_Step(): /home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:239: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:239: in function 'set_velocity'
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:2026: in function 'do_states'
	/home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3256: in function </home/dustyfrog/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3104>
The crash happens in line 239:

y = max(-10, min(self.object:get_velocity().y, 10)),
It looks like the get_velocity() call could be the problem.

dustyFrog

by dustyFrog » Post

@TenPlus1
I might have solved the problem. I did not notice that in my local git repo the Minetest master branch was active instead of the latest stable release. I have reinstalled Minetest. Right after having loaded my savegame I noticed a sheep jumping within a tree. I went closer to inspect the situation, but the sheep vanished. To be on the safe side I cut down the tree. I went away from my starter base and returned shortly after. A sheep had reappeared in the area, but no further crashes so far.
I am very sorry for the trouble I caused. Thank you very much for your help!

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

No worries, hope it's working ok for you now :)

minerman

by minerman » Post

Hello tenplus1, Are NPC spawn eggs unobtainable in survival mode? Is there another way to spawn NPC and traders other than using creative mode?

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

minerman, I believe you can capture some animals with nets if they support it but for the most part, no, you cannot get spawn eggs in survival mode. Its a creative function unless you mod the mob to drop eggs or add them as items into the game in some other way.

For traders, you might want to look into the "settlements" mod. It initally had support for the mobs_npcs pack that added them. I'm not sure if facedeer has left that in his rewrite I believe they still support it. I will add additional support for new civilizations of NPCs in the future to other villages but for now it is just the main traditional settlements that support npc spawning.

If you have any unique or creative ways for how to spawn eggs into the game, please share. I had made one mob, a reptile, that spawned eggs that would hatch other croc's but I believe this code was mostly created by elceejo, who made the paleotest mod.

minerman

by minerman » Post

FreeGamers wrote:minerman, I believe you can capture some animals with nets if they support it but for the most part, no, you cannot get spawn eggs in survival mode. Its a creative function unless you mod the mob to drop eggs or add them as items into the game in some other way..
This is magnificent idea, FreeGamers! How about make NPC and Traders spawn eggs as a drop item of a monster mob? Something like Actraiser or Soulblazer. Everytime you kill a monster mob, it will drop a Human NPC or Trader NPC egg which can be used to spawn them. It's great for players who prefers village building in their game

So the gameplay would be like this:
  1. 1. Build house/building
  • 2. Kill Monster mobs which will drop NPC/Traders spawn eggs
  • 3. Use the spawn eggs to spawn NPC/Traders in the house/building
  • 4. Repeat
Yes, it sounds simplistic as hell. But, at least (for me) it gives more meaning when you defending yourself from monsters or when you build a new home in your world.
FreeGamers wrote:For traders, you might want to look into the "settlements" mod. It initally had support for the mobs_npcs pack that added them. I'm not sure if facedeer has left that in his rewrite I believe they still support it. I will add additional support for new civilizations of NPCs in the future to other villages but for now it is just the main traditional settlements that support npc spawning.
I already tried the settlements mod, its very good. mobs_redo NPC and Traders worked quite well with it. Just as you said though, the underwater, desert and ice settlements is still empty of NPCs. But, yeah it's a good start IMHO

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

I would like to understand if it is a good idea to implements one random color functions to Enderman.... This new option is deactivable in the mod options... Another new option is that the Enderman emit light in the dark (with random intensity).....

1. It's a good idea?
2. It's possible to implements these things?

Thanks...

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

@TenPlus1, I like mob_horse mod and the feature of applying different horse shoes. But if I have horses of the same color with different shoes it's not possible to distinguish horses by shoes. I thought of displaying the kind of shoes of a horse that is right clicked without any relevant item in stack, i.e. apple or wheat, or saddle... I looked at the code of mob_horse and mobs redo and tried to find a starting point, but hopeless. Would it be much work for you to implement such displaying?

Maybe there's a better trigger than right clicking. I tried to insert a chat function that shows the shoes' name into the existing "on_rightclick" function within the mob definition, but the shoes are not yet defined then.
Besides: naming via name tag is no solution for me. The permanent displaying of the names is annoying to me if I have more than one horse.
CFS - still widely unknown

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Nordal - The horse shoes were a quick feature add but if I have time I could add a texture overlay for horses that show them wearing the horse shoes and saddles etc.

_Shinigami_
In-game: shinigami

by _Shinigami_ » Post

Hi

I'm kind of new to this game so i might have overlooked something, but i believe i found a Bug
(also I'm nor sure if it is a bug with mobs or both mobs_monsters and mobs_animals)

Mobs don't spawn naturally (it is a consistent behaviour between 2 machines i tested this with)
It is possible to spawn the mobs using spawn eggs

For some reason mobs from 'not so simple mobs' spawn normally as far as i can see,
(quick glance at the difference in code seems to be that mobs from `mobs_animals`, and `mobs_monsters` have certain blocks that they should spawn on while the mobs from the other mod do not have this restriction)

I'm using

Minetest 5.0.1 (Linux)
mobs
mobs_animals
mobs_monster
# Versions downloaded via default minetest content repository(i don't know how to check wich one)

enabling and disabling the `mobs_spawn` setting has absolutely no effect whatsoever

Edit:

after mucking about in the mobs spawn function (to ooh MOb spawns)it turns out the mobs do spawn just Extremely rarely - and spawn multiplier works in the o popsute direction than expected - ie. 0.001 sprawns mobs more often than 1000.0.

So the natural spawns are a lot less likely than I expected them to be.

And it would be nice to include this unintuitive spawn multiplier behaviour in the setting description.

Also it would be nice to have a toggle to turn the spawn logging on or off - to not have to uncomment it manually - unless of course adding such a toggle would negatively impact performance
Last edited by _Shinigami_ on Sat Mar 21, 2020 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

@TenPlus1, wow, great idea! That would be awesome! I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!
CFS - still widely unknown

TenPlus1

Update to Mob_Horse

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Nordal - Mob_Horse has been updated and applying horse shoes will now show an overlay on the feet of the horses :)

Note: You have to right-click shoes onto a horse now :)
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

thunderdog1138
GitHub: thunderdog1138
In-game: thunderdog

by thunderdog1138 » Post

I'm using Mobs Redo in my Star Wars game and my client keeps crashing when I kill a stormtrooper. Interestingly, the client does not crash when I kill a tusken raider, which has an identical on_die function.

I'm using MT 5.1.0.

My game: https://git.minetest.land/thunderdog113 ... pha-v0.0.3
Mob files: https://git.minetest.land/thunderdog113 ... bs_monster
Check out my Star Wars subgame.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

thunderdog1138 wrote:I'm using Mobs Redo in my Star Wars game and my client keeps crashing when I kill a stormtrooper. Interestingly, the client does not crash when I kill a tusken raider, which has an identical on_die function.

I'm using MT 5.1.0.

Giving the error would help a lot. You should be able to find it in debug.txt
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

thunderdog1138
GitHub: thunderdog1138
In-game: thunderdog

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
thunderdog1138 wrote:I'm using Mobs Redo in my Star Wars game and my client keeps crashing when I kill a stormtrooper. Interestingly, the client does not crash when I kill a tusken raider, which has an identical on_die function.

I'm using MT 5.1.0.

Giving the error would help a lot. You should be able to find it in debug.txt
This is the error from when the stormtrooper was killed:

2020-03-27 12:06:23: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "effect" accessed at ...es\star_wars\mods\mobs_monster/stormtrooper+variants.lua:64
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback luaentity_Punch(): ...es\star_wars\mods\mobs_monster/stormtrooper+variants.lua:64: attempt to call global 'effect' (a nil value)
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ERROR[Main]: ...es\star_wars\mods\mobs_monster/stormtrooper+variants.lua:64: in function 'on_die'
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ERROR[Main]: ...est-5.1.0-win64\bin\..\games\star_wars\mods\mobs/api.lua:778: in function 'check_for_death'
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ERROR[Main]: ...est-5.1.0-win64\bin\..\games\star_wars\mods\mobs/api.lua:2738: in function <...est-5.1.0-win64\bin\..\games\star_wars\mods\mobs/api.lua:2583>
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
2020-03-27 12:06:23: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down

Something I forgot to mention is that the mob is still alive when I reload the world, indicating that it never actually died.
Check out my Star Wars subgame.