[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.56] [mobs]

by TenPlus1 » Post

If I add a /remove_mobs command it would only remove mobs in a loaded area, that and tamed animals belonging to players would be removed also which would annoy a lot of people, so... since we're doing that already and to be more thorough the above command would indeed remove all entities but things like signs, itemframes etc would re-appear and only mobs/dropped items would disappear.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 05:57
@sirrobzeroone - if jump_start and jump_end and the optional jump_speed and jump_loop are defined in the animation settings then they will be used when the mob jumps instead of the default stand animation.
Thanks Tenplus1 Works a treat, just need to refine slightly so it fits the 8 high jump better :)
Attachments
mese_monster_jump.png
mese_monster_jump.png (307.34 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added /clear_mobs command to remove un-tamed mobs.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Hopefully quick question TenPlus1.

Is there an easier way to hook into the remove process than what I'm thinking below?

The easiest way I can see is to redfine "mobs:remove(self, decrease)" given it's a global function and I'm only performing an additional check myself to update a counter similar to the active_mobs counter but a bit different. From reading over the code I can't see that what i need to add negatively impacting anything? I'm hoping given the above is global that adding to the function assuming I don't remove the basic functionality should be alright? I'm not adding anything exotic just need check self(Objectref) for a value on remove and update a referenced counter external to the core mobs_redo api.

I just get nervous redefining any function when the core mod that created that function may not be expecting a change and could itself redefine the function at anytime and then my change will have fun consequences for the core mod and my mod :)

Thanks for the advice.

edit: Should have added I need to know when mobs are removed outside of just using the available on_die a similar custom function for remove called on_remove would probably be perfect.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The Mobs Redo API has a setting 'mob_active_limit' that can limit the amount of mobs while running and keeps it's own tally of when they spawn and despawn, so mobs:remove(self, decrease) was added as an easier way to handle removal of a mob and keep count at the same time.

If 'mob_active_limit' is set to 0 then the numbers don't matter so much, but when higher than 0 the removal function will be needed to keep a proper total handy for respawning mobs e.g. mobs:remove(self, true) adjusts the tally.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Assuming I haven't stuffed this up, uploaded a copy of updated mese_monster to my git:

Now in Mobs_Monster

If I've configured it correctly it will work standalone with mobs_redo or it will work with mobs_monster and override the mese_monster.

Couple of notes:
  • 4 types of mese monster red (down to -1000), green (-1001 to -2000), blue(-2001 to -3000), purple(-3001 and beyond).
  • Theres a fallback placement which will just pick a random version and place that ie spawner would end up using that code.
  • Each version has some slightly different stats tougher from Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
  • Fixed the arrow/shard, now flys at you - downside I had to register a new object :(
I couldn't work out how to override the arrow damage only as it would have been nice to increase the damage for tougher versions without registering 4 arrows - not sure is that possible?

Happy to take some suggestions on animation tweaks, I do like the death animation the others I'm fairly meh on. Although I like the idea of the jump not sure it quiet worked out as I envisioned.

TenPlus1 happy if you want to roll it in or not. I understand this is a big change and people get attached to what they have always had so happy to release it standalone and then you can combine it in later if it looks popular/used at that time :). Just let me know as if you roll it in I'll remove the version I've put on git and if not I'll shoot it onto ContentDB - I'm easy either way
Attachments
preview_screenshot.png
preview_screenshot.png (25.74 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
Last edited by sirrobzeroone on Thu Jul 07, 2022 09:14, edited 2 times in total.

TenPlus1

Mobs Monster Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Sirrobzeroone's new Mese Monsters have replaced Zeg9's previous one's in Mobs_Monster mod.

Many thanks for your hard work :)

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

No worries TenPlus1, glad you could use it :)

EDIT:
Just going to edit my post and not make another one.

After extensive training I managed to get all the animals to stand still for a photo...try as I might one of the cats still managed to stubbornly sit....cats. Made it ContentDB size friendly at 1920x1080 - I think The licence ends up whatever the textures in the game have....if not from my view CC0 use freely if you want to TenPlus1.

I couldn't make it any smaller file sizewise...Happy to supply the raw file if you would like it :)
Attachments
animals_screenshot.png
animals_screenshot.png (228.86 KiB) Viewed 3890 times

soeren06
In-game: soeren

by soeren06 » Post

hello i have a minetest server .. .
I'm having trouble spawning in my server.

(I don't want spawner blocks)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@sirrobzeroone - Wow thanks, must have taken a lot of training indeed :) would love to use that for contentdb page.

@soeren06 - how do you mean trouble spawning ?

soeren06

by soeren06 » Post

not that many animals spawn on my server

soeren06

by soeren06 » Post

despite with that mob_spawn_chance scribt

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@soeren06 - what other mods are you using ? mobs spawn in default and ethereal biomes but if a mod changes those or the decoration around them it may affect how they spawn.

soeren06

by soeren06 » Post

mobs Redo,Mob_Animals,Mob_Monster

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@soeren06 - If all three mods are active and you are using the default_game then lets do a test, find a green grass area and cover the grass in normal grass decoration, then wait some way away (mobs wont spawn within 15 nodes of player) and see if a sheep or cow appears.

errant

by errant » Post

I'm playing on a public nssm/Survival server with a friend. We co-operatively built an underground hideout which includes a zoo. The habitat security isn't 100% perfect. Rarely, mobs like the Bloco and Lava Titan spawn around the hideout.

We especially love our penguins and are disappointed to sometimes find them killed by a stray Bloco.

https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/mobs_redo/ ... .lua#L2853

It looks like Mob protection rune lv2, as expensive as it is, doesn't protect our beloved animals from other mobs. Could mob protection runes extend to protection from hostile mobs?

We could also use an indication of whether a protection rune has already been applied to an animal. (Name tag indicator? Change the name tag color?). Because without any information on a mob's protection status, it seems possible to waste multiple runes on one animal.

Basically, add:
* protection against hostile entities
* protection for animals belonging to permitted, non-owners of the protection block
* HUD indication of an animal's protection status

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@errant - Mob protection runes were made solely to stop players from killing each others animals but not other mobs as that is normal gameplay. If a level 3 is created then the cost per rune would be massive.

Protection indication should be easy enough to add though and rest assured protectors can only be applied once.

errant

by errant » Post

The idea behind my suggestion is that I can easily build a room that denies entry to other players with locked doors, protection blocks, and deepstone borders. In a lot of cases, lv 1 isn't needed because of that. But I can't as easily nssm-proof a room because the mobs (usually a Bloco or black stick figure) can very rarely spawn inside the habitat with the animals.

I can't tell if the problem was the light level of an already bright room and that I should add even more light sources. Based on this, I can guess the mobs spawn because of default:stone, but I don't know exactly what these parameters represent.

https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/nssm/src/m ... n.lua#L255

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The simple solution is to replace stone floors with stone brick or blocks so that they cannot spawn on it :P

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added 'can_leap' flag to mob definition so that fences can be jumped over and pits leaped out of.
- Set 'can_leap' to true for Mese Monsters :)

errant

by errant » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 05:12
The simple solution is to replace stone floors with stone brick or blocks so that they cannot spawn on it :P
Well, here is a follow up on my efforts to keep penguins safe.

Penguins in enclosed spaces tend to walk into walls. Sometimes, they stand on each other's heads. This can be a problem if they glitch into a wall, and get "smothered by a node" or take some collision-based? damage. It seems even level 2 protected mobs are still going to take damage and die if they get stuck in a node.

The scenario can be recreated by cornering a mob and putting cobble on the space it occupies. Can anything be done about this?This hasn't been a problem for any other mob in the zoo (pandas, cats, cows).

The penguin enclosure I can't get to safely house penguins:

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

errant wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 05:17
Would slabs working (or stairs?)? Ie have the slabs placed horizontally as the wall?

The code for suffocation i don't think affects slabs:

Code: Select all

and (nodef.walkable == nil or nodef.walkable == true)
	and (nodef.collision_box == nil or nodef.collision_box.type == "regular")
	and (nodef.node_box == nil or nodef.node_box.type == "regular")
	and (nodef.groups.disable_suffocation ~= 1) 

Slabs have node_box.type == "fixed" so they shouldn't suffocate if pushed into them - (Stairs are the same)

might mean you have to have design a two thick wall with the cage side slabbed. If stairs work that would mean a normal 1 thick wall although maybe they could glitch right through then.

I might go test this out later and see if it works at the moment I can only check code :(

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mobs in general have a collisionbox fix so they cannot walk into walls and an obstacle check in the api so top them walking over 2 block high builds unless stated otherwise, so penguins should not be wandering into blocks and suffocating, at least not on Xanadu server where I test it all. Make sure you are using the latest api.

CrazyMinetestGuy
IRC: MarisaKirisame
In-game: MarisaKirisame

by CrazyMinetestGuy » Post

I like the new mese monster model, but quite frankly, I prefer the old one.
16 years old. He/him in real life, any pronouns online.

TenPlus1

Question:

by TenPlus1 » Post

How many players liked the old Mese Monster design ?