Convert Minecraft maps to Minetest worlds

zadocallen
In-game: Leuden

Re: Convert Minecraft maps to Minetest worlds

by zadocallen » Post

Is there any way to convert a minecraft world to minetest without mucking about with lynux and installing python engine?

daxalofx17
In-game: Blaze7

by daxalofx17 » Post

why do you don't want to install python?

and you can convert mc world to mt on windows (im trying to do it on 10) so you don't need to have linux system but python engine is needed

i still have some errors with it so it's not working 100% (for me)
Sorry for my bad English if it's bad

Alatarius
GitHub: Alatarius

by Alatarius » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2016 02:14
It would be nice for those with only very basic tech-skills, to have more detailed instructions?
In layman's terms, I mean.
An average user is not going to have any idea how to use this / make it work (such as myself). I have tried a couple times now, (even read your vague instructions) and have failed each time to get it to even begin, and it is very frustrating.
This happens all the time, especially in things Linux related, coders / devs seem to forget that most users will not understand vague instructions.
What seems completely understandable and easy to comprehend for you, is probably not so for most end users.
This is not meant in any way as an insult, it is merely to point out that any users without coding experience are not going to be able to understand how to utilize your awesome mod.
I know I, myself would love to be able to use / try it, but I have become greatly frustrated trying to figure out how.
The same for the MC texture converter
I agree with this also. I'm just an end user and I don't get this at all. Which file in MC is the map file? Where do you find it? The naming scheme of MC worlds is very convoluted, there is no 'map' folder and anything with 'map' in the file name is about 20 different files. If this had drop down menus for the MC world folder it would make things much easier.

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

mcimport is about as simple as command-line utilities go. You are supposed to select the Minecraft world folder's path as an argument and also somewhere to save it. If you do not want to learn how to work with command-line utilities then you might wanna pay someone to convert your world for you.

Anyways, I've found MysticTempest's fork to be more useful. It supports MineClone2 and is able to convert worlds at a better quality than whatever crappy MTG modset upstream uses (stained glass disappears, along with other blocks). I forked it in turn to update the mapblock format to use version 29, along with doing some aggressive optimisations to make converting large basic worlds faster (basically when you only need to convert the nodes in a world). Made quite a difference when converting a several gigabyte world depicting the city of Gothenburg from Minecraft into Minetest.