Maps for Capture the Flag mega-topic

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Maps for Capture the Flag mega-topic

by rubenwardy » Post

Please post any maps for CTF here, preferably with a screenshot
Also consider adding an entry to the review table with a link to a post here, but that's optional (we can do that for you)

Making maps

YouTube tutorial: https://youtu.be/orBsC9wViUw
Documentation: https://github.com/rubenwardy/captureth ... /README.md

Requirements and guidance
  • The design of a map should encourage differing game play and tactics. By this, I mean that new maps which can be played the same as current maps is a bit boring
  • Maps cannot contain nodes with meta data - ie: signs and chests.
  • Maps should be reasonably balanced - ie: two team of equal ability would have the same chance of winning.
  • Maps are less likely to be accepted if they contain nodes that are not in MTG.
  • Maps shouldn't be glitchy (ie: no holes which lead into void, no wrongly placed barriers).
  • It's perfectly fine to massively modify maps, for example creating buildings.
Some of the above aren't met by some existing maps, but that will be fixed at some point.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

rubenwardy

Maps submitted before this topic

by rubenwardy » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
  • The Bridge - Very little cover and no apple trees. A river runs between the two teams. *
  • Caverns - Each team has a cavern and must mine to reach the other team.
  • Two Hills and a Lake - The classic CTF map. *
* - Bundled in the capture the flag subgame: https://github.com/rubenwardy/captureth ... f_map/maps
Spoiler
The Bridge

Very little cover and no apple trees. A river runs between the two teams.

Caverns

Each team has a cavern and must mine to reach the other team.

Two Hills and a Lake

The classic CTF map. Photo by Shara.
red-001 wrote:
Spoiler
ANAND wrote:I've tried my hand at making maps too. I've uploaded them to a GitHub repo
Gael de Sailly wrote:I've downloaded and tried your 5 maps and taken screenshots.
Spoiler
"Massacre in the monuments" by ANANDImage

"The Swiss Vacation" by ANANDImage

"Terror in the Tropics" by ANANDImage

"Supermarket" by xerox123Image

"The Fractal" by xerox123Image
xerox123 wrote:Thanks for viewing my maps! I've taken the feedback and done some work on the supermarket map. The link to download it is below.

http://0x0.st/sTSR.zip
Spoiler
IceAgeComing wrote:Been working on medieval themed CTF map with big wall in between 2 sides. Finally finished 1 side (except interior), time to work on 2nd side. :)

gimp wrote:I found a floating jungle that i thought would make a nice map
https://github.com/mrowlbio/my-ctf-maps
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImage
Mike Keen wrote:Image

Hello profile reader

gimp
GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

Re: Maps for Capture the Flag mega-topic

by gimp » Post

I have updated my map, added watchtower and ruins.
thTKKKwDe0hkkFGbHye4NxNnnceXMJTL

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Two new maps as promised! :)
IceAge.zip
Intervention in the IceAge
(46 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
UtopiaUnderwater.zip
Utopia Underwater
(161.25 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
The first one re-creates the Ice Age (IMHO :P) and the second has underwater bases, encapsulated in ancient-looking sand temples. The underwater map has no translucent red barrier below the water level, and this is because of a bug with the ctf_map mod (A PR has been made, and this will hopefully be rectified in future maps). Get your swimming skills up to par to survive in the underwater map... good luck! :)

I've taken down the GitHub repo for my map submissions, and will re-submit my 3 old ones here (if I can fix them :|) later.

Do let me know of any issues, bugs, glitches (except for the red barrier not spanning across the middle underwater), etc. in either of the maps. Thanks!

P.S. rubenwardy - I haven't attached numbers (e.g. *05_*mymap.mts) to the beginning of file-names, as that will differ depending on how many maps already exist - this will only be known at the time of insertion.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Nice! I'd really like an ice map, but it might be worth waiting until 0.5.0 is released - as there will be support for slippery nodes then

Hello profile reader

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Nice! I'd really like an ice map, but it might be worth waiting until 0.5.0 is released - as there will be support for slippery nodes then
That would be great - any idea when 0.5.0 is coming out?
My Mods

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Another map - this time it's situated up, up and above! Yes, this is a 'sky' map, which unintentionally feels like a limited edition demo of SkyWars. Enjoy! :)

As usual, I'd like all your feed-back on this - Too few land-masses in between? Would the addition of something improve this map considerably? Is the addition of the glow-in-the-dark word-art stupid?

Screenshots:
Swordsmen_in_the_skies.zip
Swordsmen in the Skies
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Last edited by ANAND on Mon Mar 12, 2018 07:49, edited 3 times in total.
My Mods

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

ANAND wrote:Another map - this time it's situated up, up and above! Yes, this is a 'sky' map, which unintentionally feels like a limited edition demo of SkyWars. Enjoy! :)
EDIT: I'll post a screen-shot very soon!
I thought this is a video file. MTS or anything, i thought its just a world. But its not a world folder. Its a saved map.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Enrikoo wrote:I thought this is a video file. MTS or anything, i thought its just a world. But its not a world folder. Its a saved map.
Haha, no this is a schematic file with which maps can be generated... :)
My Mods

Clone_Commander_Fox1
In-game: Clone_Commander_Fox

by Clone_Commander_Fox1 » Post

Thats a cool map!

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ
In-game: SouperRayene10 CESTRayCRYSTAL

by CESTRayCRYSTALwZ » Post

When you will add those maps .... i think they will be very amazing .. dont miss to add wechiles to the city one ... F1 car .. something like this .... Good ideas with maps :D

gimp

by gimp » Post

ANAND wrote:Another map - this time it's situated up, up and above! Yes, this is a 'sky' map, which unintentionally feels like a limited edition demo of SkyWars. Enjoy! :)

As usual, I'd like all your feed-back on this - Too few land-masses in between? Would the addition of something improve this map considerably? Is the addition of the glow-in-the-dark word-art stupid?

Screenshots:
I'm super excited for this map! (Dying to see all those people who don't know how to build bridges :P)

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

gimp wrote:I'm super excited for this map! (Dying to see all those people who don't know how to build bridges :P)
Let's not forget the Android nubs either...
Last edited by ANAND on Fri Jun 29, 2018 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods

gimp

by gimp » Post

ANAND wrote:
gimp wrote:I'm super excited for this map! (Dying to see all those people who don't know how to build bridges :P)
Let's not forget the Android nubs either... XD
The shift and build technique doesn't work on android?

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

ANAND: I've seen your 3 last maps.

Ice Age: interesting map with symmetrical terrain, will be so funny with slippery nodes! I'm already imaginating the number of hilarous fails we will have on this map when a player runs and… can't stop himself!
The maps is not very deep, that can be a bit annoying, we will quickly reach the bottom. Anyway there must be an unbreakable stone barrier at the bottom (players sould never be able to go below). That's ctf_map that, for now, doesn't set it. I'll see if I can edit the schematic to place the barrier.

Underwater: pretty good map too, the darkness of the seas will make fights more difficult. It's more than 20 nodes deep, so we will have the possibility to widely use the vertical dimension for moving, which will change the strategy when chasing a player, or escaping! However I wonder if it would not be a bit boring since it's not very varied.
I found the 2 spawn rooms, and since they are under the sea bed, I'm worrying about players that will dig the ceiling and flood the base. It's part of the game if an enemy does this but most of the time it will be done by base's (noob) players. Perhaps at least the ceiling should be unbreakable.

Sky: I think the platforms are currently too much spaced, there should be more ones. Will be good with platforms at different heights; it will still be a hard map. A big proportion of deaths will be due to falling in the lava. Just consider the number of players on the Caverns map that die in the lava, which is yet not difficult to avoid. And the items they have when falling will be lost forever. I don't know if you have considered it, after all this can be part of the game. Items becoming rarer and rarer, the last player that has a steel sword will basically win the game.
Anyway interesting concept, will reproduce SkyWars but with a more motivating goal.
Spoiler
ICE AGEImageImage

UNDERWATERImageImage
rubenwardy: you credit me for the screenshots of gimp's map, however I've only taken the last. The others are from gimp himself.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote: Ice Age: interesting map with symmetrical terrain, will be so funny with slippery nodes! I'm already imaginating the number of hilarous fails we will have on this map when a player runs and… can't stop himself!
The maps is not very deep, that can be a bit annoying, we will quickly reach the bottom. Anyway there must be an unbreakable stone barrier at the bottom (players sould never be able to go below). That's ctf_map that, for now, doesn't set it. I'll see if I can edit the schematic to place the barrier.
I have already placed ctf_map:ind_stone as the floor a few blocks below the surface.
Gael de Sailly wrote:Underwater: pretty good map too, the darkness of the seas will make fights more difficult. It's more than 20 nodes deep, so we will have the possibility to widely use the vertical dimension for moving, which will change the strategy when chasing a player, or escaping! However I wonder if it would not be a bit boring since it's not very varied.
I found the 2 spawn rooms, and since they are under the sea bed, I'm worrying about players that will dig the ceiling and flood the base. It's part of the game if an enemy does this but most of the time it will be done by base's (noob) players. Perhaps at least the ceiling should be unbreakable.
OK I'll see what I can do about that.
Gael de Sailly wrote:Sky: I think the platforms are currently too much spaced, there should be more ones. Will be good with platforms at different heights; it will still be a hard map. A big proportion of deaths will be due to falling in the lava. Just consider the number of players on the Caverns map that die in the lava, which is yet not difficult to avoid. And the items they have when falling will be lost forever. I don't know if you have considered it, after all this can be part of the game. Items becoming rarer and rarer, the last player that has a steel sword will basically win the game.
Anyway interesting concept, will reproduce SkyWars but with a more motivating goal.
I made this map in a hurry, and I do realize the lack of variety and number in the floating land-masses. The weapons getting lost forever is indeed a massive set-back for this map - it would be nice to have the treasure chests being replenished periodically (maybe the weapons lost in the lava can be distributed back to the chests?)

Thanks for your valuable feed-back - I'll try to integrate all of your suggestions into my maps. I'm a little busy with studies tho - it might take a few days to get it done...
My Mods

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

I made a map.
It's basically a big mountain with a slightly flattened base.
Spoiler
Monolithic mountain
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote:I made a map.
It's beautiful - the steep inclines around the mountain indicate the need for new, better, and more unique strategies. Nicely done - thank you for your contribution! :)
My Mods

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

ANAND wrote:
Brian Gaucher wrote:I made a map.
It's beautiful - the steep inclines around the mountain indicate the need for new, better, and more unique strategies. Nicely done - thank you for your contribution! :)
I'm thinking of maybe adding a few mini-bases around the mountain
Each mini-base would supports attaching it to the mountain. The tiny base would be strategic since it would offer protection, but excellent shooting positions, and a defendable bridge. I'll make a few structures.

I also added/removed less than 10 blocks of dirt to make it possible for any team to reach the top without building/digging. And without any difficult parkour.
Spoiler
Team flags are at altitude 25.
The mountain base is from 5-15.
The peak is 90.
One team has a cliff and a see behind it.

gimp

by gimp » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote: I'm thinking of maybe adding a few mini-bases around the mountain
Each mini-base would supports attaching it to the mountain. The tiny base would be strategic since it would offer protection, but excellent shooting positions, and a defendable bridge. I'll make a few structures.

I also added/removed less than 10 blocks of dirt to make it possible for any team to reach the top without building/digging. And without any difficult parkour.
Spoiler
Team flags are at altitude 25.
The mountain base is from 5-15.
The peak is 90.
One team has a cliff and a see behind it.
I think adding mini bases is a great idea! This is a very nice map!

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

So I finished my map, Yay!!!
Monolithic Mountain
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Unless you have some recommendations. I'm moving on to some other projects now.
Does anyone have some image hosting service to recommend?
Attachments
Monolithic Mountain.zip
Schems and .conf
(80.31 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Brian Gaucher on Mon Aug 20, 2018 00:51, edited 4 times in total.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote:So I finished my map, Yay!!!
Monolithic Mountain

Unless you have some recommendations. I'm moving on to some other projects now.
Does anyone have some image hosting service to recommend?
Please upload the .conf file that was generated with the .mts file, and preferably offer both of them in a single .zip file.

I'll try out the map very soon, and will do my best to provide constructive feed-back. But otherwise, this is a great map!
My Mods

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

removed
can I delete this accidental post?

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

gimp wrote:
ANAND wrote:
Let's not forget the Android nubs either... XD
The shift and build technique doesn't work on android?
Ya realise that everyone's fps will drop down to 29 to 49 because of the lava or unless you have a decent pc or laptop.
Waterbug has a bad past with bridges I built a sky base bridge we both had each other flag I had nothing as he killed me, he walked off the bridge while running to his base.
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

OrangeSoda
In-game: SG

by OrangeSoda » Post

Does this look okay so far? the lower right part of the second image is completely terraformed.