wziard

Re: Empire Voxel Building

by wziard » Post

nice :-)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
wziard wrote:adding --isoshadeheight <height of the building> probably will give the render nicer colors.
Thank you very much :)
Here is the new result:
Wow. (I usually avoid to use this kind of colloquial exclamations). The first one looked good enough for me because I wanted to grasp the general volumetric outline of shape and proportions. But this is, heh, ideal.

Of course I must stress that I've made a number of changes to the original project of ESB. Just couldn't resist following my own imagination and curiosity (like in the case of the west entrance).

To be frank, even in its present limited scope the project isn't entirely complete; I gave up with floors not because it would be too difficult, but due to the awful lighting isuues which cause horrible black shadows on the outer walls, which much too often can't be erased by the 'fixlight' command. The same is about vertical tin strips on the mooring mast -- I stopped adding them because especially 'replace' command exercised on large surfaces makes these ugly black spots appear.

If anyone would like to continue the work, feel free to follow your own concepts. It would be nice to see this building with all the antennas, barriers, floors and, of course, staircases and elevators.

Thank you, Gael for great rendering and wziard for the effective tool for this purpose :)

EDIT: I've added a link to your rendering in the main post.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

voxelproof wrote:The structure, probably the largest ever created in voxel games of that kind, is 1320 nodes high from the grade and consists probably of more than half million blocks.
I computed some figures using the schematic and my Python schematic loader: it is 1334 blocks high and contains 2942145 nodes (excluding air).
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
voxelproof wrote:The structure, probably the largest ever created in voxel games of that kind, is 1320 nodes high from the grade and consists probably of more than half million blocks.
I computed some figures using the schematic and my Python schematic loader: it is 1334 blocks high and contains 2942145 nodes (excluding air).
Wow. It sounds hard to believe. I started it shortly after that airship last year and at first I wanted to finish it in 2 weeks (as it was primarily planned to be composed only of simple geometric volumetric shapes), then I thought for a while that I'd get it in time before laborious summer seazon, then... was work, so all in all it took about 3 months of continuous work. Today, with that experience I think I'd make it in about 1-2 months.

You may bet my next building will be much smaller :) I dream about really great re-creations of jewels of world architecture in the similar scale. Yeah, Minetest is a new painting canvas.

voxelproof

The beam structure of the interior

by voxelproof » Post

Attachments
b2.jpg
b2.jpg (736.44 KiB) Viewed 378 times
b1.jpg
b1.jpg (815.64 KiB) Viewed 378 times

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

This is sick! Wow!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

with the lighting issues ... I wonder if they go away when you save the building that shows shadows as schematic and than place it as whole structure anew.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

twoelk wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 09:15
with the lighting issues ... I wonder if they go away when you save the building that shows shadows as schematic and than place it as whole structure anew.
Nope, they usually tend to stay in one place, however, haphazardly, they sometimes change their mood ;) This was the main reason of stopping further construction work on EVB.

Sometimes, and I had to do this tens of times, you can get rid of that dark stains by using 'fixlight' command, but unfortunately quite often, at least in MT 4.17 it didn't quite do its job.