Map of Alefgard (Dragon Quest)

So.Po.Coder
GitHub: SoPoCoder
In-game: SoPoCoder

Map of Alefgard (Dragon Quest)

by So.Po.Coder » Post

I'd like to present a map I've been working on for several months. I hand-painted a grayscale DEM (Digital Elevation Model) map using the original game map as a reference, then used a modified version of Bobombolo's Realterrain mod to generate most of the map (the land, towns, dungeons and caves) then used the WorldEdit tool to place the various pieces together (stacking dungeon floors, etc.). The scale of the towns is a bit larger than the terrain, in order to make it manageable in Minetest, but even so the resulting map is enormous (around 2500 blocks wide/long, or about 200 MB, 100 MB zipped). I'll post a few screenshots here in the forum, and link to a page of screenshots I made if you'd like to see more. The map works out of the box, no dependencies required. However I do recommend the Skybox Mod to get really epic looking scenery. I think it would make a great map for a stand-alone RPG game. I might look into modeling enemies based on the original game at some point, unless someone else beats me to it *wink*. Shout-out to AspireMint for the boat.

Download (103 MB)
Attachments
hauksness & south river near cantlin
hauksness & south river near cantlin
hauksness-cantlin.jpg (600.11 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
north road & garinham wharf
north road & garinham wharf
nroad-garinham.jpg (401.08 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
map comparison & tantegel castle
map comparison & tantegel castle
maps-tantegel.jpg (642.63 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Map of Alefgard (Dragon Quest)

by twoelk » Post

droooooooooool

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Wow, that looks fantastic. Downloading now to mess about with it later. These are they kind of screenshots the Minetest website could showcase (especially the one with the castle).

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

Thank you for the kind words! It makes the time required to make it worth while. :)

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

I had some trouble getting the map to work initially, Minetest was looking for a world called 'world' in my .minetest/worlds/ folder for some reason so I had to rename the world folder to 'world', then it loaded fine. There's probably a better workaround though.

I haven't fully explored it yet, but I really like it so far. The scenery is great, the buildings are quite simple but still cool. It really does have a Nintendo/SNES RPG feel to it. I also like how fireflies are used to unobtrusively light areas in along roads or in the wilderness.

As is, it's a great template for others to build on and make it their own, but it might be cool to have a more fleshed out version with items in chests, secrets, etc. The buildings could also be decorated internally a bit more, though I know that you're probably trying to faithfully recreate the original game. Would also be very interested in any mod that adds custom mobs to the world. I'm using goblins and tmw_slimes just to make exploring more interesting. The latter adds to the JRPG feel in particular.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it (or what others do with it). Minetest doesn't seem to have much of a culture of making and sharing maps (at least not on the forums), so this is a breath of fresh air.

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

Thank you for the suggestions. I also had some difficulty when I downloaded it onto my son's computer, maybe something to do with the version of Minetest being different. I created a new world and just copied the map database into the new world and it worked, but obviously that's not ideal.

You are correct about it being a foundation to build on. Currently the chests are empty, the houses uninhabited and there are no monsters to slay. I haven't tried adding the slimes mod yet (there is also a dragons mob that looks interesting). I'm currently working on expanding the biome generation options for the realterrain mod I used to create it. I'd like to use it to create a few other video game maps (Actraiser, Zelda, maybe a few others) and also Middle Earth from Lord of the Rings. But all that will require a great deal of time, which I seem to have less of the older I get.

If I had the time I'd like to try using BlockBench to model all the enemies from the game to make available as a mod, along with NPCs for the towns, something like Advanced NPC or RPGTest.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

This is lovely.
I'll definitely be checking all this out soon, probably do some personal tweaking here and there.
Thank you for sharing it
A Wonderful World

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

Some trees spawns under water... there are any way to fix it?

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 00:55
This is lovely.
I'll definitely be checking all this out soon, probably do some personal tweaking here and there.
Thank you for sharing it
Thank you, please feel free to do whatever you like with it. I'm excited to see what the community can do. Have fun!

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

1faco wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 01:12
Some trees spawns under water... there are any way to fix it?
That's strange. The map should already be generated. Where on the map are the underwater trees appearing? Can you post a screenshot?

1faco

by 1faco » Post

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Dang, this looks great
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

1faco wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 19:02
https://ibb.co/dWYQ6g8
Ah, I see. Based on your coordinates you are in the ocean far to the north-east of Alefgard. The entire map of Alefgard extends from coordinates -1400, 20, -1400 to 1400, 20, 1400 with coordinates 0,0,0 lying directly in the center of the map. Beyond the boundaries of the pre-generated map the world will be generated as you go by the Minetest engine.

Yes I think you can get rid of the under-water trees by changing the biome settings in the game configuration. I think this can also be done per world within the map_meta file. I'll look into it more when I get home from work.

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

OK, I've done a bit of homework and tinkering around and I think I have discovered the fix for both freshreplicant's problem loading the world by simply dropping the alefgard folder into the worlds folder, as well as minefaco's underwater trees.

The problem with dropping a folder into the worlds folder and having it not register in the Minetest start menu, or suddenly disappear the first time you tried to run it was due to lacking a well-formed world.mt file including at a minimum game_id and backend databases like so:

creative_mode = false
auth_backend = sqlite3
player_backend = sqlite3
gameid = minetest
enable_damage = true
backend = sqlite3
server_announce = false

The problem with trees being generated underwater after passing the generated map boundary (and also differences in ground level and water level as I learned) was due to lacking a map_meta.txt file with settings appropriate for this map. I remember changing these settings when I was generating the map, but I must have failed to include the updated settings when I uploaded the zip file. Anyway I have updated the download. The updated map_meta file should include the following settings:

mg_name = flat
mgflat_spflags = nolakes, nohills
mg_flags = nocaves, nodungeons, nodecorations, biomes, light
mgflat_ground_level = -1
water_level = 18

The key to removing the trees was the "nodecorations" flag. You can tweak the settings as you like before generating the map, and I found the Minetest Dev Wiki useful for describing the available mg_flags. With the above settings I opened the world and teleported to the same coordinates and saw the following tree-free scene:

Attachments
trees-under-water.jpg
trees-under-water.jpg (129.96 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 22:48
Dang, this looks great
Thanks for the compliment Lone Wolf! And also thanks for organizing mods in a single location. Your website is where I found the Skybox mod by sofar.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

So.Po.Coder wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 09:40
Thanks for the compliment Lone Wolf! And also thanks for organizing mods in a single location. Your website is where I found the Skybox mod by sofar.
Actually all the credit goes to rubenwardy for that. I just put all of my mods there.

Would be neat if the ContentDB supported maps in addition to mods/games
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

So.Po.Coder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

Ah yes, I see that now. I responded too hastily. You have an impressive collection of mods nonetheless. And I agree, it would be neat to have a section for maps.

1faco

by 1faco » Post

So.Po.Coder wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 09:25

The problem with trees being generated underwater after passing the generated map boundary (and also differences in ground level and water level as I learned) was due to lacking a map_meta.txt file with settings appropriate for this map. I remember changing these settings when I was generating the map, but I must have failed to include the updated settings when I uploaded the zip file. Anyway I have updated the download. The updated map_meta file should include the following settings:

mg_name = flat
mgflat_spflags = nolakes, nohills
mg_flags = nocaves, nodungeons, nodecorations, biomes, light
mgflat_ground_level = -1
water_level = 18

Thank you so much!.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

checked it out . start point creates a great atmosphere .
but outside i never made it past the treeline . its a cursed and brutal world out there . without the initial start up tools i dont stand a chance at surviving . if i can suss out how to start with mods running then iam certianly interested in exploring more prefabricated maps like this .there is great potential if we can utilize them with our own choice of mods .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

WanSko
GitHub: wansko
IRC: wansko
In-game: Lucifer

by WanSko » Post

Alefgard original ""Pikachu"" in the dragon quest series. This is akin to Torland in Dragon quest two. However, in later Dragon Quest games, the concept of naming a shared world map was dropped.

Although Alephgard is a set of continents separated by water, the divisions are usually quite small, requiring only bridges to connect different landmasses. To do this, you can use Minecraft maps download here. The exception is the South-Eastern continent, which can only be reached through the quagmire cave. Instead of identifying districts by geographical location, it is easier to identify regions by the names of cities / villages in the immediate vicinity