[Question] Is uploading converted Minecraft builds with no license correct?

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

[Question] Is uploading converted Minecraft builds with no license correct?

by Eris » Post

I use mcimport and mcresconvert to share here some builds I saw on Planet MineCraft;
reading some posts about this here and there, I just want to make sure it's ok.
e.g.:
rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34
If you don't provide a license, it means the works are all rights reserved. No one has permission to do anything with them. However, downloading for personal use is unlikely to lead to troubles. Using on a server (redistribution) or reselling could be.
Is it really so?
Thanks for helping.
Jump in the caac

bzt

Re: [Question] Is uploading converted Minecraft builds with no license correct?

by bzt » Post

Eris wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 19:17
rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34
If you don't provide a license, it means the works are all rights reserved. No one has permission to do anything with them. However, downloading for personal use is unlikely to lead to troubles. Using on a server (redistribution) or reselling could be.
Is it really so?
Yes, rubenwardy is right. Without an explicit "terms of use" (a license) by the author or copyright holder, all rights reserved by default.

The details vary from country to country (depending when the work was created and for how long the protection lasts etc.), but the same "no formal application required to reserve all rights, and permissions must be explicitly granted" principle applies almost everywhere in the world. Here's a complete list of countries (most EU member states signed this around 1890-1920, the US in 1989 and even China in 1992 and Russia in 1995.)

The Planet Minecraft's server is in the US, so its contents are published in the US, and I think it's safe to assume all after 1989.
works [without copyright notice] created after 1989 generally are not in the public domain
Cheers,
bzt

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

Bummer, thanks for the clarification, I dunno anything about the legalities of sharing software at all.
Jump in the caac

bzt

by bzt » Post

Eris wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:48
Bummer, thanks for the clarification, I dunno anything about the legalities of sharing software at all.
Haha, don't you worry, the truth is, nobody does (not even lawyers agree on the details). There are a few well-proven paths (like providing a clear copyright notice and using a well-known license like GPL or CC), the best you can do is stick to one of those. However doing so still does not guarantee your rights, just increases your chances on a court trial. Using any unlicensed material is a recipe for disaster.

BTW, just to give this another twist, Minecraft builds are considered digital art-work, and not software (software is a completely different kind of beast for lawyers, for example in the EU you cannot patent them, while in the US you can).

Cheers,
bzt