Is it possible to reduce the size of an existing map? [SOLVED]

Mr. Rar
GitHub: MrRar
In-game: MrRar

Is it possible to reduce the size of an existing map? [SOLVED]

by Mr. Rar » Post

I have a few old Minetest maps that are 100+ MB in size.
My objective is to reduce the file size of these maps by erasing generated parts of the map that I don't care about. There are some structures near spawn that I want to keep. Everything else can go.
Last edited by Mr. Rar on Thu Nov 03, 2022 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Only in Christ do we find real love, and the fullness of life. And so I invite you today to look to Christ." - St. John Paul II

littlePrettyCat
GitHub: alwayshopeless
In-game: littlePrettyCat

Re: Is it possible to reduce the size of an existing map?

by littlePrettyCat » Post

viewtopic.php?t=8682
Duplicate. WorldEdit can help you
cdb_b870072d9f7f

Mr. Rar

by Mr. Rar » Post

littlePrettyCat wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 18:32
viewtopic.php?t=8682
Indeed that might work. However I am hoping to preserve the original seed and the relative locations of everything in the map. This would be a big hassle to do in WE. I wonder if there is a way to do this using direct database manipulation.
"Only in Christ do we find real love, and the fullness of life. And so I invite you today to look to Christ." - St. John Paul II

littlePrettyCat
GitHub: alwayshopeless
In-game: littlePrettyCat

by littlePrettyCat » Post

Mr. Rar wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 20:03
littlePrettyCat wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 18:32
viewtopic.php?t=8682
Indeed that might work. However I am hoping to preserve the original seed and the relative locations of everything in the map. This would be a big hassle to do in WE. I wonder if there is a way to do this using direct database manipulation.
Hmm, I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this API could help determine the places of user activity, to make markup like "XYZ Start / XYZ End", and then export these parts to a new LUA map with a script through WorldEdit.
viewtopic.php?t=23891
cdb_b870072d9f7f

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

see https://github.com/BuckarooBanzay/mapcleaner/ buckaroo makes some good server/map related tools
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 22:11
see https://github.com/BuckarooBanzay/mapcleaner/ buckaroo makes some good server/map related tools
Haven't used/updated that one in a while, not sure if the dependencies still work, use it on a backup-map first
Mr. Rar wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 17:45
My objective is to reduce the file size of these maps by erasing generated parts of the map that I don't care about. There are some structures near spawn that I want to keep. Everything else can go.
You best bet is still (as others said) to copy the area to a newly generated map,
you can save your positions if you are using /teleport x,y,z in combination with worldedit //pos1 and write the commands down.

If the area is too big for WE you can use this: https://github.com/blockexchange/blocke ... md#offline
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

You can safely preserve the map_meta.txt file and the world.mt file from the world folder. You can create a new world folder with a new name, only needing to update the world.mt file to use the new "world name" which is the world folder name.

Worldedit can help you get the buildings into schematics. Save their coordinates in a text file somewhere.

If you are willing to regenerate the world, you can safely import the schematics back where they came from.

Shad

jackmortain

by jackmortain » Post

Mr. Rar wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 17:45
May be you reduce your Maps file Size by a file size compressor software, but you can't reduce existing maps size.
Jack.Mortain

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Idea

by TenPlus1 » Post

I still think that Minetest itself should contain a way to backup or compress map files within the client. This would be handy for servers where the map files are growing huge, as well as personal world backups.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Mapblocks are already compressed with zstd (previously by zlib), and the database can't be compressed less granularly than that without putting the whole file in an archive, which would probably have minimal gains. It might help to have a flag about whether a mapblock has ever been modified though, to make selecting candidates for cleanup tools easier.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Mr. Rar

Re: Idea

by Mr. Rar » Post

I was able to solve my problem with mapeditr: https://github.com/random-geek/MapEditr

mapeditr [path to map.sqlite file] deleteblocks --p1 x1 y1 z1 --p2 x2 y2 z2 --invert
mapeditr [path to map.sqlite file] vacuum

My world went from 800MB to 30MB!

I had an idea to create a mod that would allow selecting an area of the map and then produce a database quarey. Then you can simple open the map database in https://sqlitebrowser.org/ and run the query. This is unnecessary because of mapeditr.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!
TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:19
I still think that Minetest itself should contain a way to backup or compress map files within the client. This would be handy for servers where the map files are growing huge, as well as personal world backups.
I wish Minetest supported limiting the size of worlds and pruning existing worlds.

Mantar

Re: Is it possible to reduce the size of an existing map? [SOLVED]

by Mantar » Post

A tool that selectively reran mapgen and compared its results with existing mapblocks, and removed them if they were unchanged would probably be useful. But I'm not about to write it. :)
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

animaux
GitHub: animaux

Re: Idea

by animaux » Post

Mr. Rar wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 14:20
I was able to solve my problem with mapeditr: https://github.com/random-geek/MapEditr

mapeditr [path to map.sqlite file] deleteblocks --p1 x1 y1 z1 --p2 x2 y2 z2 --invert
mapeditr [path to map.sqlite file] vacuum
That was very useful and worked perfectly, many thanks!