Olympia Map - Stadiums

Hupfi1
GitHub: Hupfi1
IRC: Hupfi1
In-game: Hupfi

Olympia Map - Stadiums

by Hupfi1 » Post

Hey everyone,
since i'm playing minetest, i was building stadiums on this map. Until today there are 54 (!) stadiums in total for all olympic disciplines, but mostly for soccer.

Here ist a summary of all of the stadiums: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ABmVfu ... sp=sharing

You can download the map here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g-MMUc ... sp=sharing

All used mods ale included in the folder "worldmods".

I'm looking forward to your thoughts an feedback :)

daxalofx17
In-game: Blaze7

Re: Olympia Map - Stadiums

by daxalofx17 » Post

not working in 5.5.1 but i try in older version
EDIT : i don't know how to apply maps into 0.4.15 :(
Sorry for my bad English if it's bad

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

daxalofx17 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 08:40
not working in 5.5.1 but i try in older version
EDIT : i don't know how to apply maps into 0.4.15 :(
"not working" is not very helpful at all. Minetest gives you an error message, please share it when posting. Given it was released today, I would be surprised if it was made for ooold 0.4* (okay: I was surprised later on how old some of it is). I also don't see why it wouldn't load unless it's got a problem with worldmods (spoiler alert: it does, and the included mods are really outdated).

So I fired it up, was greeted with a missing dependency: pipeworks needs basic materials.

Code: Select all

2023-08-22 01:17:32: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Some mods have unsatisfied dependencies:
2023-08-22 01:17:32: ERROR[Main]:  - pipeworks is missing: basic_materials
Wait a second, basic materials isn't in the worldmod set, nor does the worldmod version of pipeworks depend on basic_materials, since it's so outdated. Okay, things must be pointed at my global mod directory not worldmods in the world.mt. So I deleted every line out of world.mt that referred to a mod loading path. That got it loading the worldmods - those always load, even when not enabled.

Then there was an error with signs_lib trying to register a pole-mounted sign that goes onto the streets big pole, T-junction:

2023-08-22 01:21:20: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/blockhead/.minetest/worlds/Olympia/worldmods/signs_lib/init.lua:
2023-08-22 01:21:20: ERROR[Main]: .../.minetest/worlds/Olympia/worldmods/signs_lib/compat.lua:148: Attempt to override non-existent item streets:bigpole_tjunction
The included version of streets is marked 1.5 according to the directory name, but T-junction poles were actually added in the second commit after the bump to 1.5.. If the streets worldmod had been just a month newer version (a mere 9 years old), this wouldn't have been an issue. To fix it I commented out lines 148-184 that register that particular. I came back later when it was working and added a conditional on whether that item was registered or not (difference here is mostly indentation):

worldmods/signs_lib/compat.lua

148,155c148,164
< 	minetest.override_item("streets:bigpole_tjunction", {
< 		check_for_pole = function(pos, node, def, ppos, pnode, pdef)
< 			if def.paramtype2 == "wallmounted" then
< 				if   (node.param2 == 4 and vtj_north[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 2 and vtj_east[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 5 and vtj_south[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 3 and vtj_west[pnode.param2]) then
< 					return true
---
> 	if minetest.registered_items["streets_bigpole_tjunction"] then
> 		minetest.override_item("streets:bigpole_tjunction", {
> 			check_for_pole = function(pos, node, def, ppos, pnode, pdef)
> 				if def.paramtype2 == "wallmounted" then
> 					if   (node.param2 == 4 and vtj_north[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 2 and vtj_east[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 5 and vtj_south[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 3 and vtj_west[pnode.param2]) then
> 						return true
> 					end
> 				else
> 					if   (node.param2 == 0 and vtj_north[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 1 and vtj_east[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 2 and vtj_south[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 3 and vtj_west[pnode.param2]) then
> 						return true
> 					end
157,165c166
< 			else
< 				if   (node.param2 == 0 and vtj_north[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 1 and vtj_east[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 2 and vtj_south[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 3 and vtj_west[pnode.param2]) then
< 					return true
< 				end
< 			end
< 		end,
---
> 			end,
167,180c168,182
< 		check_for_horiz_pole = function(pos, node, def, ppos, pnode, pdef)
< 			if def.paramtype2 == "wallmounted" then
< 				if   (node.param2 == 4 and htj_north[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 2 and htj_east[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 5 and htj_south[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 3 and htj_west[pnode.param2]) then
< 					return true
< 				end
< 			else
< 				if   (node.param2 == 0 and htj_north[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 1 and htj_east[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 2 and htj_south[pnode.param2])
< 				  or (node.param2 == 3 and htj_west[pnode.param2]) then
< 					return true
---
> 			check_for_horiz_pole = function(pos, node, def, ppos, pnode, pdef)
> 				if def.paramtype2 == "wallmounted" then
> 					if   (node.param2 == 4 and htj_north[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 2 and htj_east[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 5 and htj_south[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 3 and htj_west[pnode.param2]) then
> 						return true
> 					end
> 				else
> 					if   (node.param2 == 0 and htj_north[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 1 and htj_east[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 2 and htj_south[pnode.param2])
> 					  or (node.param2 == 3 and htj_west[pnode.param2]) then
> 						return true
> 					end
183,184c185,186
< 		end
< 	})
---
> 		})
> 	end
The next problem was with the homedecor fences, which assumed that if we had signs_lib then we had its sign post model (again, probably has been true for a long time, but it's weird that the modpack has incompatible versions inside of it). I fixed the issue at first by replacing the whole check for signs_lib with a constant false, but later came back and checked whether the signs_lib table had the model present and then used it:
worldmods/VanessaEhomedecor/fences.lua

5,13c5,9
< local sign_post_model = {
< 	type = "fixed",
< 	fixed = {
< 			{-0.4375, -0.25, -0.1875, 0.4375, 0.375, -0.125},
< 			{-0.125, -0.5, -0.125, 0.125, 0.5, 0.125},
< 	}
< }
< 
< if signs_modpath then
---
> local sign_post_model
> if signs_modpath
> 	and signs_lib.sign_post_model
> 	and signs_lib.sign_post_model.nodebox
> then
14a11,18
> else
> 	sign_post_model = {
> 		type = "fixed",
> 		fixed = {
> 				{-0.4375, -0.25, -0.1875, 0.4375, 0.375, -0.125},
> 				{-0.125, -0.5, -0.125, 0.125, 0.5, 0.125},
> 		}
> 	}
That got the game launching nicely, but it seems the world has been used with mobs before but the mod was not removed cleanly, because there's no mobs mod installed, but some error messages spam the console when the game starts:

2023-08-22 01:46:56: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:sand_monster" not defined
2023-08-22 01:46:56: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:tree_monster" not defined
2023-08-22 01:46:56: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:dirt_monster" not defined
2023-08-22 01:46:57: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:oerkki" not defined
2023-08-22 01:46:57: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
2023-08-22 01:46:57: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
I recommend Cleaner mod to remove the mobs, it should get rid of the error messages. There are also some other mod issues like missing textures visible, so an inspection of all the stadiums is probably in order. As we know all know, pics or it didn't happen:
olympia-testing2023-08-22.jpeg
olympia-testing2023-08-22.jpeg (203.11 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Anybody who can read/apply the patches above can use them to get the world running, but ideally Hupfi really needs to update the worldmod directory and nuke the mod parts of world.mt to start testing the actual worldmod pack. The world was probably assumed to be working but was actually using the one in their main mod directory like I experience. So go test it against the worldmod pack and begin updating mods, because it's sorely needed. Maybe refresh the worldmod pack with copies of versions from your main mods.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Review: Olympia Map - Stadiums

by Blockhead » Post

Olympia is an eclectic collection of 54 different stadiums by Hupfi for Minetest, delivered as a 468 MB zip file with world and worldmods. I have addressed the issues with the distribution worldmods in my previous post so I won't dwell on them, but rather focus on a working copy of Olympia - though not with all the missing node issues fixed, as it's important to fix the worldmod pack.

If launched in singleplayer, the player will start nearby the Minetest-Arena, a soccer venue and the first built. It is not built to as high a standard as other later stadiums. From Minetest-Arena, one can navigate to other nearby stadiums like Olympic Aquatic Center and what appears to be a basketball stadium - I couldn't find it in the guide.

The PDF guide to the stadiums is invaluable, especially since there is no map and no good paths between many of the arenas. There is a disjointed network of stone paths that may have been or would be appropriate for a minecart network. The stadiums seem to have been placed almost at random, perhaps wherever Hupfi felt like it when deciding to build a new venue. Some are built into the slope of the terrain, some on top of the terrain on a pedestal, and in some places the terrain is demolished and filled in with stone.

Since the terrain is of little consequence, perhaps it would have been better left out. The stadiums would be easier to find if arranged on a flat world with organised street grid. Otherwise if the terrain is to be kept, I think a proper path and maybe cart network between the stadiums would be a good addition. I also think the Points of Interest (POI) mod would be helpful for travelling between the stadiums and would relieve the need for having the PDF open just to find stadiums.

The stadiums themselves vary in quality, from some of the earlier ones that are built out of a lot of rudimentary materials like large quantities of stone and iron bars, to later ones that are built with various colours. The PDF seems to list the stadiums in order of construction, and I would definitely rate a lot of the newer ones higher. Another important reading note for the stadiums is that the names all use German hyphenated form, so "Mountainbike-Arena" and "Golf-Field" instead of more English "Mountain Bike Arena" and "Golf Field" (more of a driving range, not a 9-hole course). The stadiums could definitely be enjoyable for server events, though with no licence on the project I'm not sure how Hupfi would feel about the stadiums being used as schematics for a multiplayer server.

The main problem I have with the stadiums is the scale and lack of attention to detail. Now, I did not comprehensively visit every stadium, but I can see a pattern. Many of the stadiums are soccer fields, but all of the ones that I visited - all of the fields were well under size, even the ones that are designated large in the PDF. The "capacity" numbers also seem to be totally made up, as I'm not sure how the tiny velodrome can hold 1000 people. The fact that the worldmods pack didn't have working signs didn't help since it leaves a lot of venues without proper signage. More and better signage would definitely help, as even with unknown nodes/textures I could still tell whether signs were present.

I also noted a distinct lack of detail to the actual sports venues in the centre of many of the stadiums. For instance there are no nets on the hockey field (Hockey-Stadium), no real "jump" in the Ski-Jumping-Arena and so on. For a map that is supposed to be all about diverse sports, it seems to mostly be a collection of undersized venues for a smorgasbord of sports, but no actual detail to the sports themselves. I'm not saying that I expect realistic rings, springboards and trampolines in the Gymnastics-Center, but I'd like to see more detail like that of the Tabletennis-Stadium, which has somewhat accurate tabkles, than the short course of the Ski-Center that ends in a dead end arena - real skiing events have side-only seating for a good reason. I could be wrong and the Ski-Center is based on some real venue, please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it certainly felt wrong.

The lack of detail and care for some of the lesser sports contrasts with the heavy focus on soccer fields to give the impression that Hupfi really like soccer, or at least enjoys making soccer stadiums. I would say that when it comes to making venues, it really pays to put in the attention to detail and make a good sports venue first, then surround it with a decent amount of stadium seating and a building and so on. Quality rather than quantity. Olympia certainly already has quantity, so if I were Hupfi I would revisit old stadiums and rework them. Sometimes it might be better to start again from scratch - I would probably throw out the Mountainbike-Arena for instance, since I'm not sure what a little patch of stone that size can be turned into even if you were trying to make a concrete indoor venue.

So my closing review of Olympia is this: It's a decent collection of stadiums, some pretty good, others miss the mark a bit from lack of detail or inaccuracy. You can certainly get inspiration to make your own stadiums from here. Hupfi could do a few things to improve Olympia:
  • Fix the worldmod pack and update the mods; run Cleaner to remove the mobs. Hopefully this fixes any unknown nodes and entities.
  • Rebuild some of the old and/or low-standard stadiums. Put some research into venues for the sport. Increase the field size to a realistic size for the sports, or make it more explicit that the venues are scaled down a bit to fit some constraints e.g. being able to view the entire arena on a low-spec client.
  • Add the PoI mod and build a transport network of things like paths, roads and carts so you can explore the map and discover venues instead of basically needing the PDF guide.
  • Give a licence statement on whether others can re-use the stadiums and re-host the map download.
Thanks for the map Hupfi, and I hope it only continues to improve from here :)
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Hupfi1
GitHub: Hupfi1
IRC: Hupfi1
In-game: Hupfi

by Hupfi1 » Post

Thanks for your detailed feedback! In some points, you are definitely right. I will rebuild some of the stadiums in the future. Also, I will try to fix the issue with the worldmod pack. The map should show the progress that I have made in building stadiums; the old and inaccurate stadiums will remain in future versions. I'm totally fine if somebody uses the structures on other maps or servers, but I have no idea how the licenses are working. Maybe somebody could help me with that? I hope you look forward to future versions of olympia