[Map] Karsthafen

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 8. July)

by solars » Post

jp wrote:I confirm it works perfectly with the .tar.gz file. I can open/uncompress it.
Thats good! I hope you have fun with the map!

And here is a segment from the actual overview map:
The street in the north will build to the goods tower in the future. Between the unfinished street and the city will be a little park and a fishermans house.

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

I explored your map... Really nice work !

Using some mods should add more aesthetic to your city (eg. More Blocks, Quartz, Fake Fire, etc.).

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Don't forget homedecor and computer.

solars

by solars » Post

I don't want to use addons. I will build the map for many years, and its not easy to see, what addon will work in 10 years... It will look nicer with addons, but I think to use the possibilities of the main game so good as possible is much fun too. ;)

The image this time: The old town Karsthafen from the air:

But the next town area will look nicer, alone from the new blocks in the main game. So, I hope...
:)

solars

Karsthafen Picture Book

by solars » Post

Today, this thread will be one year old...
For this date, I have a 16 pages picture-brochure of Karsthafen for you:

Click the image to open the book.

gunnercody
In-game: gunnercody

Re: [Map] Karsthafen

by gunnercody » Post

I love the map, good work. But after I explore it for about a minute, the roads get like three layers of sand on them, and some buildings get dirt with grass blocks all over their roofs. Is this supposed to happen? I re downloaded the map three times now and the same thing happens.

solars

by solars » Post

@gunnercody: Which version of minetest do you use?

jp
Banned

Re:

by jp » Post

EDIT : mistake, confused.

solars

by solars » Post

@jp: At the actual download, I deleted all unnecessary data from the database file. So the download is only 24MB big. But this version don't work properly with Minetest versions bevor 0.4.10.

Without deleting the unnecessary tiles, the map.sqlite file is over 6 GB big! After the deleting it is only 50 MB.

And here a picture of the Graveyard of Karsthafen:
At the moment, a third of the epitaphs are missing. I search for more funny ideas for this.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Not sure If you have already seen this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9901 but I thought you might be interested.
Also, I hope you don't mind me using this as an example, it was the best map I could find by a country mile.

Excellent work!

solars

by solars » Post

stu wrote:Not sure If you have already seen this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9901 but I thought you might be interested.
Also, I hope you don't mind me using this as an example, it was the best map I could find by a country mile.
Don't mind me? I'am glad that you use my map. :) Thanks for using it.
At the moment, it's easy to become lost at the city of Karsthafen. There your mod is usefull.
In the future I will make a city map for Karsthafen. I think, your mod will work even better with drawn maps.

At the moment, I build a big hotel for Karsthafen-Königsburg, the next city on the map. In the picture, you see one of the parking decks inside the hotel.

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Post

Awesome,map

veriaqa

by veriaqa » Post

Wow, this is awesome. Minetest could use this as promotional material in the website. And all of this built without any mods? Amazing!

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Post

veriaqa wrote:Wow, this is awesome. Minetest could use this as promotional material in the website. And all of this built without any mods? Amazing!
Defualt Mods are still used..

veriaqa

by veriaqa » Post

shaheerziya wrote:
veriaqa wrote:Wow, this is awesome. Minetest could use this as promotional material in the website. And all of this built without any mods? Amazing!
Defualt Mods are still used..
I mean without any mods besides what comes with minetest_game.

And I agree with Solar's way. By building the map without any mods, he makes the map more accessible to many players. Because my mods set with Solar's could be very different. It would make the maps looks very ugly when I download and load it. But with the current way, I can download the map, load it without any missing block, and I can decorate it with my mods.

solars

Karsthafen

by solars » Post

Thanks for the compliments!

And it's done! The first city on the map is finished after 16 months of construction time: Karsthafen. So, it's time for a new version of the download. :)
If you find errors in the city himself, please write it in this thread, so I can correct it to the next version.

Here is a map of the of the city and the surrounding area:

All the other things on the map are not finished yet.
And there will be a second bigger city in the future near the kings castle.

And here is the download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npml3e3brsjgk ... ar.gz?dl=0

Have fun in Karsthafen!

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 8. September)

by solars » Post

I had made an error at the minimum requirements for the map. Minetest 0.4.10 don't work! It must be Minetest 0.4.10-dev!

With the Version I had build at the day 0.4.10 was public from the source, it works, but with the stable versions for Windows and the Version from Debian Testing, it DON'T WORK! In the stable Versions, the map-generator destroys the buildings.

At Linux, the Version from the sourcecode works. At Windows, the latest builds from sfan5 works. You can find the Versions from sfan5 there: http://sfan5.pf-control.de/minetest-builds/?f.

A script, that build the actual version in the active folder on linux:

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/minetest/minetest/tarball/master -O master.tar.gz
tar xf master.tar.gz
rm master.tar.gz
mv minetest-minetest-* minetest
cd minetest
cd games/
wget https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/tarball/master -O minetest_game.tar.gz
tar xf minetest_game.tar.gz
rm minetest_game.tar.gz
mv minetest-minetest_game-* minetest_game
cd ..
cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1
make -j2
I apologize for the error in the description, that don't let you play the map correctly.

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 8. September)

by solars » Post

To make it easyer, I had build a new version for the older versions of Minetest, that presents the city on a singlenode world. Its only the central area with Karsthafen, Devils Tower and the tennis court. Outside the area, the landscape will not be generatet and in the Devils Tower, you can't find the things in the underground.

The complete map for Minetest 0.4.10-dev or newer from 8. September: https://www.dropbox.com/s/npml3e3brsjgk ... ar.gz?dl=0

The incomplete map with only the central area for Minetest 0.4.9-dev and 0.4.10 from 11. September: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s7ty4kufitmp ... ar.gz?dl=0

I hope, this is a good for everyone.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 11. September)

by Inocudom » Post

Your creations are absolutely fascinating. I am curious about how your creative genius works, for though I am a skilled builder, I have yet to reach anywhere near your level.

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New Download from 11. September)

by solars » Post

Thanks for the big compliment. :)

Today, I have drawn a route map of the subway:

I hope, the map is helpfull. ;)

solars

by solars » Post

Its a long time ago, that I shown something new from Karsthafen. But the map is not dead, it grows slowly...

At the moment, I'am building the little village "Jägerhof":

Its a town near the Jagdschloss with only log lodges and wooden houses in it.
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Some recents progress shown on the german thread : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9706&start=25 ... are not presented here, unfortunally.

Good work anyhow ;)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Wow, those Jägerhof-houses look great!
But somehow, the desert does not fit well with wood, I hope you can add some green parts there.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

YoukaiCountry
GitHub: nbcwell

by YoukaiCountry » Post

Wow, this map is a blast to explore! I stumbled upon the terrifying / beautiful tower that goes really high into the air, and really far underground! (I'm guessing that's the devil's tower :p )

Also, I am on 4.11-dev, and the terrain generator was overtaking a lot of things (the tennis courts, the roads, etc), so I had to switch it to a singlenode world to see everything properly.

Great work, can't wait for more updates!

YoukaiCountry
GitHub: nbcwell

by YoukaiCountry » Post

I fell in love with this map, and the wonderful creations it contained, but I don't really know a lot of German.
I wanted to be able to read all the signs posted around this map, so I decided to translate them.

I wrote a program to extract the text from every sign to a file. I ran that through Google translate to produce an English version of the file, then another program I made to write the data back into the map. Now there is an English version of the map!

The translation is spotty at times, since it was automated. Some things it couldn't figure out, others seem like they could be worded better, but all in all the map is much easier to understand for English speakers.

English map:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/212 ... -08_eng.7z

I also posted the translation file to github. If anyone wants, they can clean up/improve the English translation file and I can write it back into the map:
https://github.com/nbcwell/karsthafen_translation

Also I will clean up the tools and release them at some point in the near future so anyone can translate any Minetest map!

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again for the cool map solars, and if you are opposed, I can take this down.
Have fun!