[Map] Karsthafen

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen

by solars » Post

Since it is more then 6 weeks since my last post here, I want to say: The map is alive.

At the moment, I'am building a school house:

school.jpg
school.jpg (370.26 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

Its an elementary school with 12 classrooms. I hope, I can finish this building in two weeks.

If anyone have a good idea how to build big mountains and big valleys on an existing map, it would be wonderfull, if you tell it me in this thread how to do it.
I plan to create a big river valley on my Karsthafen map...
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

CBugDCoder
GitHub: CBugDCoder
IRC: CBugDCoder
In-game: CalebDavis

by CBugDCoder » Post

This looks awesome keep up the good work!
My Mods: Mob AI Glider

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

CBugDCoder wrote:This looks awesome keep up the good work!
Yes. This is really a nice map. He does a very good job
Spoiler
I hate my life

aristotle
GitHub: askotos
IRC: aristotle_
In-game: aristotle
Location: Currently on Melpomene, waiting for the starship to be fixed.

by aristotle » Post

Thank you for sharing! It's really GOOD!
A high five for the many ideas. the implementation, the details, the solutions, the style..
solars wrote:...
Comments and critics are welcome. ;)
If I really wanted to find anything more to say.. I would just suggest you to use some circular saw here and there because we are not MC and we have slopes! :D
LOL
But... if I really wanted! .... and I do not!

Clap clap!
Happy builds & explorations! | Initiating my Creative Minetest channel on YouTube

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Hmm, I guess he wants to only use MTG default blocks.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

aristotle wrote:Thank you for sharing! It's really GOOD!
A high five for the many ideas. the implementation, the details, the solutions, the style..
solars wrote:...
Comments and critics are welcome. ;)
If I really wanted to find anything more to say.. I would just suggest you to use some circular saw here and there because we are not MC and we have slopes! :D
LOL
But... if I really wanted! .... and I do not!

Clap clap!
LMD wrote:Hmm, I guess he wants to only use MTG default blocks.
He doesn't just want it, he does it too. Why he used only MTD blocks he has explained in his Kahrsthafen 5 years video. It's just a feat to build something huge and not to use mods. I don't want to advertise in other posts but if you are looking for a city or a world I can recommend the Mountain City map.
Spoiler
I hate my life

solars

by solars » Post

CBugDCoder wrote:This looks awesome keep up the good work!
Phoenixflo44 wrote:Yes. This is really a nice map. He does a very good job
aristotle wrote:Thank you for sharing! It's really GOOD!
Thank you all.
:)
aristotle wrote:If I really wanted to find anything more to say.. I would just suggest you to use some circular saw here and there because we are not MC and we have slopes! :D
LMD wrote:Hmm, I guess he wants to only use MTG default blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion, aristotle, but LMD is right. I will only use the blocks that are in Minetest Game. And unfortunately, there are no slopes...
Karsthafen wrote:Why he used only MTD blocks he has explained in his Kahrsthafen 5 years video.
Yeah, thats it. :D

The last 2 weeks, I was not entirely idle. I finished the outside of the schools main building:
schule.jpg
schule.jpg (332.15 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

There are a view things to do on the inside, but I would say, the main buiding is 90% finished. :)
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New version from September 03, 2018)

by solars » Post

video_update_1.jpg
video_update_1.jpg (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

The new version of the map is online:
Karsthafen_2018-09-03 (3.5 GB)

An actual with Minestmapper generated map of Karsthafen can you find there: karsthafen_2018-09-03.png (6,3MB)

And a YouTube-video, about, what is new in this version of the map is there:
Karsthafen Update 2018-09-03
The Video is in German with English subtitles.

I hope, you have fun with my new version of the map.

solars

by solars » Post

At the moment, I build a new area on the map. The ruins of Pyramid City. Its finished to 50% now. Here a Image:

ruins.jpg
ruins.jpg (480.76 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

All Ruins are set, but only a few buildings are enough destroyed. In the next time, I will make the buildings more like ruins, like the building in the foreground and then I will ad rubble.

Near the Ruins, there will be a big Museum. :)

solars

by solars » Post

The new video is here:

https://youtu.be/yCANFdeKaNg

This time, its a slow video with impressions of the city Karsthafen. No spoken words, only music. A video to chill. :)

And i have split the playlists (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhLng ... /playlists) in two:

"Impressions of Karsthafen" for Videos with only music like this here.
and
"All About Karsthafen" for Videos that are spoken in German and with English subtitles, like the "5 years Karsthafen"-Video. Here will be a new video with every new version of the map.

:)
Attachments
video_karstharbour.jpg
video_karstharbour.jpg (403.03 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

solars

by solars » Post

There is a new town near Karsthafen:

https://youtu.be/iwrrEB-MC2g

I hope you like the new city on the Karsthafen map. Comments and critics are welcome.

solars

by solars » Post

A happy new year for you all!

Today, I want to show you a picture from the city Trinaddel:
trinaddel.jpg
trinaddel.jpg (300.99 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

You see the three needles, that has given the name to the city. The picture was taken from the terrace of the restaurant "Dreinadelblick" (Three Needles View).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

solars wrote: If anyone have a good idea how to build big mountains and big valleys on an existing map, it would be wonderfull, if you tell it me in this thread how to do it.
Back in MC creative, some players used exploding TNT in order to generate more or less random holes and valleys. I'm not sure if TNT explosions in MT are random enough for that purpose. Perhaps you could create yourself a smal mod that either removes or add some nodes in a random, bubble or perhaps even oval way.
A list of my mods can be found here.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Sokomine wrote:
solars wrote: If anyone have a good idea how to build big mountains and big valleys on an existing map, it would be wonderfull, if you tell it me in this thread how to do it.
Back in MC creative, some players used exploding TNT in order to generate more or less random holes and valleys. I'm not sure if TNT explosions in MT are random enough for that purpose. Perhaps you could create yourself a smal mod that either removes or add some nodes in a random, bubble or perhaps even oval way.
I once tried this, it certainly isn't suitable for landscaping. Resulting craters are strongly circular in shape yet their surface is full of holes which look simply ugly. The only method I could conceive to add mountains is to cut off somehow flat areas of the map (erase them from the map.sqlite) and then enabling Valleys mg in your world. But how to do it explicitly I don't know, afaik there's no map database editing tool yet.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

voxelproof wrote: I once tried this, it certainly isn't suitable for landscaping. Resulting craters are strongly circular in shape yet their surface is full of holes which look simply ugly. The only method I could conceive to add mountains is to cut off somehow flat areas of the map (erase them from the map.sqlite) and then enabling Valleys mg in your world. But how to do it explicitly I don't know, afaik there's no map database editing tool yet.
Whatever you do - don't forget to make a backup of your world first! The database can be edited with sqlite3 to some degree. You need to map the position in the world around which you want to delete to the "pos" value used as index in the database table. Once you've calculated that (there's a formular for it), you can delete the entry matching "pos" from the database. The next time you run your world, those deleted parts will be generated anew by mapgen.

However, it's not quite that simple. The blocks stored in the database encompass 16x16x16 nodes each. Mapgen (usually) works on 5x5x5 mapblocks at a time - plus an outer shell of 1 mapblock at each side thrown in. Thus, every time something is generated anew, 7x7x7 mapblocks are affected (unless you changed your mapchunk size). That means 112x112x112 nodes may change if you delete something.

And there's still the problem of how to integrate the new mapchunk into the rest. Changing the mapgen has led to very ugly looking borders in the past.
A list of my mods can be found here.

solars

by solars » Post

At the ruins of the Pyramid City, I used much exploding TNT to make it more like ruins.
I don't think, it will be good for mountains and valleys. The mountains should be more then 2000 Blocks high and look natural. The big river in Königsdorf should be in a natural looking valley outside of the town. For the ugly borders between 2 mapgens or an old and new version of a mapgen, I have no solution too. The ugly borders on my map between the old and the new version of the mapgeen, I had covered up with the city Trinaddel und will be covering up with the city Machina.
Directly after I finished the next version of Karsthafen, I will increasingly search for a solution for the mountain and valley problem. Sokomine and voxelproof, I thank you for the Ideas. Maybe I can build on that.

The status of the new parts of the map:
Trinaddel: finished!
School-Gymnasium: finished!
Ruins of Pyramid City: finished!
Museum of Pyramid City: 90% finished
Street to Pyramid City: 20% finished

Here an image of the Museum of the Pyramid City:

museum.jpg
museum.jpg (526.99 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

The missing parts are a little holliday resort and a parking lot.

I think, the next version of the map is nearly finished. :)

-sniper-
GitHub: JostP
IRC: sniper-
In-game: -sniper- and JostP

by -sniper- » Post

Hello solars
There is minetest game (and server) called Capture The Flag (or CTF) (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13157). It uses different maps (maps are 220x110x220 blocks in size). I downloaded your Karsthafen map and made CTF map from your city Karsthafen. Map (its name is Karsthafen) is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19729&p=341444#p341444 .
I am asking you for permission to add this map to CTF server maps (https://github.com/MT-CTF/maps, https://github.com/MT-CTF/maps/pull/15). If you agree the map will be added to CTF and thousands of players will play on it and see your art :).
I hope you agree,

best regards,
-sniper-
Last edited by -sniper- on Fri Jan 25, 2019 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

If I was him, I'd now ask whether I would be credited appropiately. Is it going to be like : "A new game is starting in the map Karsthafen by Solars, cropped by -sniper-" ??

BTW : The license - CC-BY-SA 4.0, if I got it right - states that you may redistribute it if you credit him and retain the license. I'm not a lawyer so the previous statement is not legally binding and of no value.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

solars

by solars » Post

@-sniper-: Like LMD said: The map is distributed under the CC BY SA license.

Please change the line author in the Karsthafen.conf to:

Code: Select all

author = solars, Peters and -sniper- from the minetest.net forum
Is it possible to add a line license to the Karsthafen.conf?
If yes, please add:

Code: Select all

license = CC BY SA 4.0
if not, add to hint or another possible field: "The map is distributed under the CC BY SA 4.0 license".

The Idea to create a Capture the Flag map of my Karsthafen is superb. Thanks -sniper-. :)

If someone makes a video of a game on the map, i would love to watch it.

----------------

As image this time, the Ruins of Pyramid City:

Ruins_of_the_Pyramid_City.jpg
Ruins_of_the_Pyramid_City.jpg (455.82 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

solars

by solars » Post

update_2019-02.jpg
update_2019-02.jpg (366.58 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

The new Version of the Karsthafen map is here!

The new map:
Karsthafen_2019-02-11.tar.gz.
The file is 5.1 GB big. So you need patience for the download. And inside, the map.sqlite is now 11.3 GB.

And here is a video with all the new things on the map:
https://youtu.be/IVCTu4uaQU0
If you don't understand German, activate the English subtitles. ;)

Critics to the map and the video are welcome.

xeno
In-game: xeno

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New version from February 11, 2019)

by xeno » Post

[please can u make a (one chunk surival map PLS PLS PLS)
6qJF0AfOu745Hwbz4uWr9TEmyDB0BQ73

solars

Re: [Map] Karsthafen (New version from February 11, 2019)

by solars » Post

xeno wrote:[please can u make a (one chunk surival map PLS PLS PLS)
I build my maps without mods (except WorldEdit). So I have not the know how to build such a map at the moment.
But I have an Idea for such a map. So it is possible, that I create a one chunk survival map, but not any time soon

The picture today shows the actual construction area. In the front is the retirement home "graveyard view" and in the back an park with tower:
parkwithtower.jpg
parkwithtower.jpg (269.18 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
[/size]

solars

by solars » Post

After more then 5 months time, a new video of Karsthafen. This time only a little video width the town Merits Lake and the parkour Worlds Race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1YXJZ0vAk

And I'am very bad at parkours... There is no chance, that I run it with no errors.
If somebody of you like parkours, I hope, you can make a video, that shows, how you run it. :)
Attachments
meritensee_videotitel.jpg
meritensee_videotitel.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

There were 3 parts of karsthafen map added to CTF server , 2 parts of karsthafen and one of Jägerhof village. These maps have been on server since beginning of july (I am sorry for late notice). All maps are distributed under the CC BY SA 4.0 license. It is really fun playing on them, I especially love defensive wall inside city.

I will post more screenshots of playing on karsthafen maps in future