[Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.1.0] [no_sneak_glitch]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.1.0] [no_sneak_glitch]

by Wuzzy » Post

Disable sneak glitch (historic mod)
This old mod disables the sneak glitch for all players automatically when they join.

From Minetest 0.4.16 on, this mod is no longer necessary. This is because the sneak glitch is disabled by default.

See the Sneaking article in the Community Wiki to learn more about the sneak glitch in detail.

To summarize, the sneak glitch allows you to climb up at insane speeds while holding both the sneak key and the jump key while you stand at the corner of structures like this one:

There is also an old bug in Minetest which allows you to negate all fall damage while holding down the sneak key if you fall on a slab (or similar) or the edge of a block. Using this mod gets rid of this, too (coincidentally).

In my opinion both these behaviours are unacceptable for any action-themed game, especially the latter one. This is the reason why this mod exists.

When this mod is enabled, sneaking will now only make you walk slower. If you walk close to an edge of a block, sneaking will not stop you there, instead you will simply walk over the edge eventually.

However, I do understand that in some circumstances it may be desirable to keep the sneak glitch intentionally enabled. If this is the case for you, simply do not use this mod. :-)

• Dependencies: None!
  • License of everything: WTFPL
  • Conflicts: With any other mod which tampers around with the sneak glitch.
  • Version: 1.1.0
  • Git project page: http://repo.or.cz/minetest_no_sneak_glitch.git
  • Works with: Minetest 0.4.13
Attachments
no_sneak_glitch1.1.0.zip
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Aug 02, 2017 00:22, edited 5 times in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.0.0] [no_sneak_glitch]

by rubenwardy » Post

Please explain the sneak glitch.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

gamergardencat

by gamergardencat » Post

Maybe Wuzzy is thinking about this https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1692
superman slices a giant apple into 3 and hands it to guest220

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The sneak glitch is a weird behaviour which makes it possible to jump up absurd heights by building blocks in a special way.
A common structure abusung this glitch is the so-called “sneak elevator”. It looks like this:
To abuse the sneak glitch, stand at that corner and hold both the sneak key and the jump key. You will jump up the entire structure.
There may be other structures which abuse this glitch, but I don’t know them.

I am one of those who think this glitch is stupid. That’s what the mod is for. Simply activate the mod and strange structures like the sneak elevator won’t work anymore.

Technically: What this mod does is simply setting sneak_glitch to false for all players via set_physics_override. This is probably one of the smallest Minetest mods ever, but it works. :-)
Yep, Minetest does not fix the sneak glitch, instead it makes it configurable, because apparently some players do want it. o_O

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The sneak glitch is a weird behaviour which makes it possible to jump up absurd heights by building blocks in a special way.
A common structure abusung this glitch is the so-called “sneak elevator”. It looks like this:
-- snip --
To abuse the sneak glitch, stand at that corner and hold both the sneak key and the jump key. You will jump up the entire structure.
There may be other structures which abuse this glitch, but I don’t know them.

I am one of those who think this glitch is stupid. That’s what the mod is for. Simply activate the mod and strange structures like the sneak elevator won’t work anymore.

Technically: What this mod does is simply setting sneak_glitch to false for all players via set_physics_override. This is probably one of the smallest Minetest mods ever, but it works. :-)
Yep, Minetest does not fix the sneak glitch, instead it makes it configurable, because apparently some players do want it. o_O
Did you ever think that it is actually useful? I used to use it all the time on redcrab's server. (but I suppose that spawned from the fact you couldn't 'fast' up a ladder back then)
Back from the dead!

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Wuzzy wrote:because apparently some players do want it. o_O
http://xkcd.com/1172/

:^P
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

kaeza wrote: http://xkcd.com/1172/

:^P

Bingo, kaeza. ;)

No matter what you do, whatever "it" is, it will disrupt someone's work-flow somewhere.

From what I've observed, the sneak-glitch is generally used by more advanced Minetest miners and builders.

Those that use handhelds can't use the sneak-glitch yet, as far as I know.

I also find the sneak-glitch quite useful:
  • for mining,
  • for reaching the tops of MoreTrees to harvest the whole tree instead of leaving "floating" trees littering the landscape,
  • for building taller more complex builds,
  • and for creating sky-builds.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

I will try it soon, thank you for your work !

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It is used all the time on redcrab. I think of it as hand holds and foot holds to climb up on. It's faster than ladders.

Hello profile reader

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

rubenwardy wrote:It is used all the time on redcrab. I think of it as hand holds and foot holds to climb up on. It's faster than ladders.
notsure about that. with 0.4.7 clients you can run up ladders. i think a race would so which is faster.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

CWz wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:It is used all the time on redcrab. I think of it as hand holds and foot holds to climb up on. It's faster than ladders.
notsure about that. with 0.4.7 clients you can run up ladders. i think a race would so which is faster.
Hm, I might actually do a video on that. Thanks for the idea.
Back from the dead!

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

The "sneak glitch" isn't absurd. The "green yeti", previous skin, had different movement extremities, with which the player was able to use sneak elevators, walk out a wall he stuck in, …

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Really?! This mod...
...uh, this mod.
Sorry Wuzzy, I like your attitude, and the way you explain, and your mods, and stuff...
...but, this mod is ridiculous, the players that use this ''glitch'' are the most experienced ones, even griefers don't now how to use it.
I only teach things like ''how to use the fast priv'' and how to protect, and how to use the sneak glitch; only to the most trusted players.
I'm mad now, things like this, made to screw people up.
This mod, only ruins the most experienced players, it doesn't even affect other players, only the most experienced ones.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:The "sneak glitch" isn't absurd. The "green yeti", previous skin, had different movement extremities, with which the player was able to use sneak elevators, walk out a wall he stuck in, …
What is the ''green yeti''?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The “green yeti” probably refers to the legacy player graphic used in older Minetest (and minetest_game) versions.

You can view it here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/minet ... player.png

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Dragonop wrote:Really?! This mod...
...uh, this mod.
Sorry Wuzzy, I like your attitude, and the way you explain, and your mods, and stuff...
...but, this mod is ridiculous, the players that use this ''glitch'' are the most experienced ones, even griefers don't now how to use it.
I only teach things like ''how to use the fast priv'' and how to protect, and how to use the sneak glitch; only to the most trusted players.
I'm mad now, things like this, made to screw people up.
This mod, only ruins the most experienced players, it doesn't even affect other players, only the most experienced ones.
Personally, I do prefer disabling the sneak glitch for myself, because it adds to the survival aspect. That said, this is a personal preference, and I wouldn't try to persuade players that like having it.

It would be nice to have the an option (via `minetest.conf`) to either keep no sneak glitch global, or per-user. (on that note, we need some kind of "client-specified configuration protocol", so clients can change settings that affect all servers, without having to set their options on each server).
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Dragonop, your paranoia makes me sick. Nobody forces anyone to not use the sneak glitch. Just don’t use the mod if you really want the sneak glitch so badly. And don’t join servers that use this mod. The choice is up to you.
And you don’t have to be really experienced to know how the sneak glitch works, it’s quite a simple concept to grasp, actually. You delude yourself if you think that this is some sacred knowledge only accessible to the elite. It’s not.
And you really sound crazy as you sad that this mod “screws people up”.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Very much needed mod, thanks

Wuzzy

Version 1.0.1

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.0.1 of this mod fixes an oversight: When you hold down the sneak key while falling, it was possible to negate all fall damage if you fell onto an node edge or a nodebox. I dub this “technique” (???) the “sneaky drop”. xD
Version 1.0.1 disables this weird (maybe buggy?) behaviour as well.

Now sneaking should only make you walk slower. If you walk towards an edge, sneaking will no longer stop you there; instead you just walk over the edge eventually.

Sneaking sure is very weird in Minetest. xD

But if you want to keep the classic sneaking with all its glitchyness, simply do not use this mod. You decide. :-)

PS: I have updated the initial post with a brief explanation of the sneak glitch.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: [Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.0.1] [no_sneak_glitch]

by kaadmy » Post

How does this work?
Using player:set_physics_override({sneak_glitch=false}) doesn't seem to do anything; I'm guessing that this mod uses Lua to somehow disable it?
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

kaadmy wrote:How does this work?
Using player:set_physics_override({sneak_glitch=false}) doesn't seem to do anything; I'm guessing that this mod uses Lua to somehow disable it?
This is the entire code for the mod:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_on_joinplayer(function(player)
	player:set_physics_override({sneak_glitch=false, sneak=false})
end)
https://github.com/rubenwardy/captureth ... h/init.lua

Hello profile reader

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Ah, so it disables sneaking at edges, too. The sneak_glitch flag didn't seem to do anything when I tried it.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Wuzzy

Release 1.1.0

by Wuzzy » Post

I just released version 1.1.0. This is a minor update which adds mod.conf and that's basically it.
I also added a Git repository (see first post).

By the way, I have written a new page on Sneaking in the Community Wiki.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: [Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.1.0] [no_sneak_glitch]

by ABJ » Post

OK, this mod can add to survival, thanks. Although I personally like the sneak glitch very much. Also, I must note that disabling sneaking on edges doesn't prevent you from building out from the top. If you're careful, you can stand at the veeeeerrry edge, and your viewpoint will actually be slightly over the edge, just enough to place a block. I used this trick for a looooooong time till I discovered sneaking. I even used this to build some outcroppings at the top of a 100+node tall skyscraper.

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Disable sneak glitch [1.1.0] [no_sneak_glitch]

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, this standing over the edge thing is the main reason for sneaking and is intentionally not disabled by this mod. This mod does not disable sneaking, only the sneak glitch.

But technically it would be possible to “disable” sneaking altogether. This would also eliminate the edge thing. In this case, sneaking will still make you walk slower, but you will simply walk over block edges and fall while sneaking.

I don't feel like to integrate it into this mod, however, I wanted to keep it very lightweight. Maybe one day I'll release a mod which combines various little global gameplay settings like disabling sneak, disabling fall damage, adding suffocation, and more into one single mod and makes them accessible though the advanced settings.