[Mod] Lava Cooling [0.3] [lavacooling]

Rath

[Mod] Lava Cooling [0.3] [lavacooling]

by Rath » Post

This mod has not and probably will not be updated for some time.

Makes lava exposed to air cool into molten rock and lava near water turns into obsidian.
Molten rock eventually turns into stone or sometimes iron ore and it can be used as a fuel.
Pumice forms when molten rock is above water or when its when air is above it while another molten rock node is below it.

Note: If lava and molten rock are taking to long to cool then lower COOLING_RATE at the top of init.lua

Code License: WTFPL
Textures License: cc-by-sa 3.0

Depends: default

Download: v 0.3

Changelog:
v 0.2 - make obsidian drop more frequent
v 0.3 - add pumice, made obsidian shards craftable

Screenshots:
Last edited by Rath on Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

LocaL_ALchemisT

by LocaL_ALchemisT » Post

woah, cool..

just one thing, are you sure it only depends on default? coz default doesn't have obsidian
Built Telegate v1.0, Workers v2.0, Broadcast v0.0 & Weeping Angel v0.1
Having A Buzy Week
From 0.4.10 with love~

Mallot1

by Mallot1 » Post

i love it try to make better obsidian textures though there to dark

pagliaccio

by pagliaccio » Post

+3

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

LocaL_ALchemisT wrote:woah, cool..

just one thing, are you sure it only depends on default? coz default doesn't have obsidian
Lava is in default, he created the obsidian block, (There used to be a obsidian mod)

Spots

by Spots » Post

okay so i like the mod but when you mine the obsidian you get obsidian and obsidian shard but at a very very low drop rate is it a bug or was that worked in to the mod that way because if you want it for your floors or walls and you make a bucket and build a framing area, it kinna sux i was in a spot for 15 minutes and got 4 obsidian and 23 obsidian shards ans nothing else

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

+16
How about, cobble next to a lava source turns into molten rock, or just lava? And, how about pumice, which happens when molten rock is exposed to air above it? That would be awesome.
Now I can go make a lavarift world :D
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

I took the time to make a simple ''volcano'':
Now I have been inspired to make more ''types'' of lava and events that happen to lava to make realistic volcanoes/rifts (like, an ABM that at certain times, lava sources will ''erupt'' and spawn lava sources above them, only if there are a few other sources next to it and there's air above it, and runny lava/thick lava that determine the strength of an eruption)
If I do, may I add your mod to a ''modpack''?
Last edited by SegFault22 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Rath

by Rath » Post

SegFault22: I like your ideas and would be interested in helping. Also you can add my mod to a modpack.
Last edited by Rath on Wed Aug 08, 2012 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Well, I had to delete the volcano map I had, as I accidentally let the lava spill out everywhere, causing severe lag. Still working on lowering the viscosity of some lavas. I'll also see about cloning the ABM's to get other types of lava to cool, maybe at different speeds too (thick lava exposed to the surface doesn't move a lot so it cools quicker, but runny lava is always moving/mixing and takes longer to cool)

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Post

Good I Love LAVA

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

I wonder if it's possible to lower the rate at which lava cools, below a certain level...as to simulate it as if the air above magma is gaseous and hot, yet above ground it is cool and plain.

Rath

by Rath » Post

SegFault22 wrote:I wonder if it's possible to lower the rate at which lava cools, below a certain level...as to simulate it as if the air above magma is gaseous and hot, yet above ground it is cool and plain.
I was thinking that lava above a certain level could be generated as a different type for example "cool lava." This might be possible using minetest.register_on_generated.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

A few tips:

In minecraft, when moving lava comes in to contact with water, cobble stone is formed

When still lava is next to water only then is obistian is formed
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I made a version of this mod. It's a little bit simpler than the original one.

It adds no new blocks. Just crates stone and desertstone (when nearby desertstone). And instead of hanging around in the air they fall down (which can lead to nice structures underwater). Has some bugs.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_abm ({
    nodenames = {"default:lava_source", "default:lava_flowing"},
    neighbors = {"default:water_source", "default:water_flowing"},
    interval = 1.0,
    chance = 8,
    action = function (pos)
            if minetest.env:find_node_near(pos, 2, {"default:desert_stone", "default:desert_sand"}) then
                minetest.env: add_node (pos, {name = "default:desert_stone"})
            else
                minetest.env: add_node (pos, {name = "default:stone"})
            end    
    end,
})

minetest.register_abm ({
    nodenames = {"default:lava_flowing"},
    interval = 3.0,
    chance = 8,
    action = function (pos)
        if minetest.env:find_node_near(pos, 1, {"default:desert_stone", "default:desert_sand"}) then
            default.spawn_falling_node(pos, "default:desert_stone")
        else
            spawn_falling_node(pos, "default:stone")   -- for versions before 0.4.4 use:   default.spawn_falling_node(pos, "default:stone")
        end
    end,
})
depends: default
licence: WTFPL (like original)
Last edited by Casimir on Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

deivan

by deivan » Post

I made some changes in this mod for solve some little problems...
1) All my lava "lakes" become stone lakes...
2) The geothermal generator (technic) never work, the water close to the lava make rocks...

I added the idea of the direct contact as trigger then if lava and water (or air) have same two axes, like x and y, then is a direct contact.
I make molten rocks come back to lava form if the nod have at last 2 lava direct contacts with him.

I have the idea of transform rocks in lava but I am thinking.. How make it work without make a crazy thing? Like all caves become lava pools... :-o

Maybe I release this new version of the mod or I make a alternative, I am doing many changes... I need time.

BZab

by BZab » Post

deivan wrote:I made some changes in this mod for solve some little problems...
1) All my lava "lakes" become stone lakes...
2) The geothermal generator (technic) never work, the water close to the lava make rocks...

I added the idea of the direct contact as trigger then if lava and water (or air) have same two axes, like x and y, then is a direct contact.
I make molten rocks come back to lava form if the nod have at last 2 lava direct contacts with him.

I have the idea of transform rocks in lava but I am thinking.. How make it work without make a crazy thing? Like all caves become lava pools... :-o

Maybe I release this new version of the mod or I make a alternative, I am doing many changes... I need time.
Then lava lakes will be growing down... :/

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

pretty cool would solve the lava over water thing that makes lava look like oil and water xD

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Instead of default stone, you could use a custom rock type. Stone is used much too often.

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

it could be turned into some sedimentary rock and that rock could be turned into glass or sand

stcrafts

by stcrafts » Post

COOL!
----------------------------------
Sorry for my bad English :I

deivan

by deivan » Post

The mod make obsidian rock, pumice, molten rock and stone_with_iron.

I try solve a bug before release or submit changes to this mod. Maybe I add more ores possibility when a rock appear.

Is it.
Last edited by deivan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

deivan

by deivan » Post

In this image is possible seeing the mod working. Lava only become stone if have equal number of lava and air contact (or more air) in a direct line, not in diagonals.

I solved the process slow down bug and excessive spawn of rare minerals, I am very close to have a full operational version of this. :)
Last edited by deivan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

deivan

by deivan » Post

My first stone factory, the lava become molten rocks only in the border, I pickup and leave him at side. :D

deivan

by deivan » Post

Ok, I have my first release now:
http://www.novoseusadosinformatica.com. ... ooling.zip

Good Lucky.