[Mod] Simple Mobs [mobs]

OwenBean

by OwenBean » Post

Yea agreed the DM (or something like the DM) would rock. Although one of the main things with the DMs for me was the fact that they would disappear after a while when I came back to their cave. (Must have fallen into the lava or something? idk..) but that sucked.

But yea I updated to the latest dev version and I'm getting the same 'on_step' error as others - particularly on my server. I too am on windows.

Hope this helps.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

hello just a small suggestion replace "local mobs = {}" with "mobs = {}" on the first line I was playing with my skulls and had to do that to make it work when separating the folders :D

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

irksomeduck wrote:

Code: Select all

14:05:48: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Lewis\Desktop\Minetest 0.4.3\bin\..\mods\minetest\PilzAdam-mobs-4151fe2\init.lua
14:05:48: VERBOSE[main]: Check debug.txt for details.
This is not helpful, paste debug.txt not the Console Output
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Added rats and oerkki.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Nice!
I've missed the Oerkki
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

I need new textures for the sheep (resolution: 20x32). I realy cant draw (see my attempt in textures/mobs_sheep_old.png).
I also need new texutures for the dirt, stone and sand monster.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Do you need the old sheep texture? Plus i would like to see some new textures for the Oerkii the original ones look scary.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Hey PilzAdam you said you needed some new textures for the mobs so i wen't ahead and did some!
I have only done the texture's for the stone, sand and dirt monster. Here is the download link
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102401091/textures.zip
If you like them tell me. They may be a bit ugly but they sort of give the old retro feel.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I was curious about your and Josh textures so I extracted them and looked at the png. Then I decided to see them 'live'. Unfortunately I got this error. I used the download: PilzAdam-mobs-b687ddf

The error in debug.txt is:

09:30:31: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
09:30:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

09:30:32: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
09:30:32: VERBOSE[main]: stack traceback:

As far as I good see on the png files I don't think your textures need (much) improvement. I like the idea that they have the same color as their spawning material. Maybe the dirt monster needs more 'camouflage' and the stone monster less 'mossy'.

Josh, your monsters look nice, but still very similar too the originals. You could consider making them completely different. Good you're making textures!

edit: the usual typo's
Last edited by Topywo on Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Topywo wrote: Josh, your monsters look nice, but still very similar too the originals. You could consider making them completely different. Good you're making textures!
+1

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

now that i have a version that runs this, finally got a chance to have a play and give some feedback.

1) this is awesome

2) the monsters seem really hard (random) to kill. they only have 1 hp, and i may have to hit them 50 times to do a damage. i assume better weapons give a better kill chance. can the monsters have 10hp, and each hit does ~1 damage? That way i know there is about 10 hits to kill one. when i get a better weapon, it could take 2hp per hit, etc.

3) i think someone mentioned it before, but being able to push them back a little would be good. maybe every 2nd or 3rd hit pushes them back a tad.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Topywo wrote:I was curious about your and Josh textures so I extracted them and looked at the png. Then I decided to see them 'live'. Unfortunately I got this error. I used the download: PilzAdam-mobs-b687ddf

The error in debug.txt is:

09:30:31: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
09:30:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

09:30:32: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
09:30:32: VERBOSE[main]: stack traceback:

As far as I good see on the png files I don't think your textures need (much) improvement. I like the idea that they have the same color as their spawning material. Maybe the dirt monster needs more 'camouflage' and the stone monster less 'mossy'.

Josh, your monsters look nice, but still very similar too the originals. You could consider making them completely different. Good you're making textures!

edit: the usual typo's
Thank's for the feedback Topywo. Glad you liked them.
Last edited by Josh on Fri Sep 21, 2012 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I have made some new texture's. Topywo suggested i could make them a bit different from there original texture's so i did. This download only includes sand & dirt monster here it is. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102401091/textures2.zip
This time they have a camoflauge on them. Check it out & see what you think.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

cornernote wrote:now that i have a version that runs this, finally got a chance to have a play and give some feedback.

1) this is awesome

2) the monsters seem really hard (random) to kill. they only have 1 hp, and i may have to hit them 50 times to do a damage. i assume better weapons give a better kill chance. can the monsters have 10hp, and each hit does ~1 damage? That way i know there is about 10 hits to kill one. when i get a better weapon, it could take 2hp per hit, etc.

3) i think someone mentioned it before, but being able to push them back a little would be good. maybe every 2nd or 3rd hit pushes them back a tad.
They have more than 1hp... Note stone monsters are resistant to hands and wooden swords.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Josh wrote:I have made some new texture's. Topywo suggested i could make them a bit different from there original texture's so i did. This download only includes sand & dirt monster here it is. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102401091/textures2.zip
Dont just make them a "bit" different. Make them completly different. The textures from me are just the player textures with some dirt/sand/mossycobble looking.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Ive created a wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/PilzAdam/mobs/wiki

fgr

by fgr » Post

here is another bug:

22:38:58: ERROR[main]: ...test/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua:1: attempt to concatenate a nil value
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:38:58: ERROR[main]:  ...test/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua:1: in main chunk
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ModError: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua

In thread 7fdf0808c740:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-0.4.3/src/main.cpp:1741: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7fdf0808c740:
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  Dedicated server branch)
(Leftover data: #2  void ItemStack::deSerialize(std::istream&, IItemDefManager*))
Aborted (core dumped)

Josh

by Josh » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Josh wrote:I have made some new texture's. Topywo suggested i could make them a bit different from there original texture's so i did. This download only includes sand & dirt monster here it is. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102401091/textures2.zip
Dont just make them a "bit" different. Make them completly different. The textures from me are just the player textures with some dirt/sand/mossycobble looking.
Im gonna stick a picture of a gun on the bad mobs so it looks like there holding a gun. Would that be cool?

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

i'd rather see them holding a melee weapon, like a mace or a club or something

Feorth

by Feorth » Post

I've been using this mod for a while and today a noticed that a dirt mob was acting a little strange, like it was going straight in one direction and didn't stop even when i started to hit it. When i killed the mob that happened:
And the empty node kept moving... That's not really an issue i just wanted to let you know.
Cheers
Last edited by Feorth on Sat Sep 22, 2012 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

fgr wrote:here is another bug:

22:38:58: ERROR[main]: ...test/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua:1: attempt to concatenate a nil value
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:38:58: ERROR[main]:  ...test/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua:1: in main chunk
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua
22:38:58: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ModError: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods/pilzadam_mobs/init.lua

In thread 7fdf0808c740:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-0.4.3/src/main.cpp:1741: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7fdf0808c740:
(Leftover data: #2  void ItemStack::deSerialize(std::istream&, IItemDefManager*))
Aborted (core dumped)
Rename the mod folder from "pilzadam_mobs" to "mobs".

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Josh wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
Im gonna stick a picture of a gun on the bad mobs so it looks like there holding a gun. Would that be cool?
Guns are too modern. They should be misshapen, ugly and slimy monsters.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Feorth wrote:I've been using this mod for a while and today a noticed that a dirt mob was acting a little strange, like it was going straight in one direction and didn't stop even when i started to hit it. When i killed the mob that happened:
And the empty node kept moving... That's not really an issue i just wanted to let you know.
Cheers
The image seems to be broken but i know this bug. Sometimes the Minetest engine stops to handle entities. Then they just keep going, cant die and dont react on rigthtclicks.

fgr

by fgr » Post

i got this error after renaming it to mobs:

15:02:10: ACTION[ServerThread]: eythen joins game. List of players: eythen
15:02:14: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
15:02:14: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread 7f82a19e6740:
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7f82a19e6740:
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
(Leftover data: #4  void ItemStack::serialize(std::ostream&) const)
Aborted (core dumped)
after deleting the mobs dir i get this error:

15:05:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:oerkki" not defined
15:05:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:stone_monster" not defined
15:05:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
15:05:50: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:dungeon_master" not defined
15:05:52: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:oerkki" not defined
15:05:52: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
15:05:52: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:dungeon_master" not defined
how can i remove the mobs in the map due the mod isnt working properly?
Last edited by fgr on Sat Sep 22, 2012 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

fgr wrote:i got this error after renaming it to mobs:

15:02:10: ACTION[ServerThread]: eythen joins game. List of players: eythen
15:02:14: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': attempt to index a number value
15:02:14: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread 7f82a19e6740:
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7f82a19e6740:
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
(Leftover data: #4  void ItemStack::serialize(std::ostream&) const)
Aborted (core dumped)
after deleting the mobs dir i get this error:

15:05:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:stone_monster" not defined
15:05:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
15:05:50: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:dungeon_master" not defined
15:05:52: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:rat" not defined
15:05:52: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:dungeon_master" not defined
There is a error in the windows build so the first error only occurs in windows. If you want to remove all the old mobs after deleting the mod use

/clearobjects
This will delete all entities.