[Mod] Simple Mobs [mobs]

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

Pavel_S wrote:
Excalibur Zero wrote:
Excalibur Zero wrote: I tried applying some of the rotations and scales and it is working correctly in Blender, however there is a problem with one of the wings in Minetest.

I put it together into a new mod (with the .blend file), which I put on GitHub here: https://github.com/rocketslime11/mobpack
Could someone take a look at the .blend and help me figure out why it isn't working properly? I'd like to see if it can be fixed to work in Minetest without having to redo all the animations.
I fixed all animations and model. But I think, you will slow down animation.
Download
New animation range.

Code: Select all

animation = {
        stand_start = 0,
        stand_end = 40,
        walk_start = 41,
        walk_end = 81,
        run_start = 83,
        run_end = 103,
        punch_start = 104,
        punch_end = 124,
        speed_normal = 62,
        speed_run = 103,
    },
About Modelling in Blender and exporting to Minetest!
At least you need to follow this:
Using Blender on Minetest wiki
Better explanation
If you do not export materials with .x, you need use as many textures as count of meshes in model;
There must be only one Armature;
Apply all transforms for your rest position.
Thanks a lot for the help!

I'll be sure to read those before I start animating the model next time.

----

I tried exporting it and it's working fine except the head isn't being textured for some reason.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/j6XqUwc.png

I am using these export settings: Export Meshes, Export Normal, Export UV Coordinates,Export Material, Export Skin Weights, Export Armature Bones, Export Animations.

Are there any things that I am forgetting to export?
Last edited by Excalibur Zero on Thu Mar 06, 2014 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel_S

by Pavel_S » Post

You just need to stay one material, or uncheck "Export materials"

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

Pavel_S wrote:You just need to stay one material, or uncheck "Export materials"
Thanks! That worked.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

I've recently discovered that removing this mod also reduces formspec lag by at least 50%. I can't overlook that, but I really hate to have to disable it, as well.

Formspec lag, for those who haven't noticed it, is that delay you sometimes get when using chests, furnaces, signs or anything that uses formspec (other than the player inventory).

I wonder if there's a solution that doesn't involve disabling this mod.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Maybe mobs idling could be set to not move at all (only move when chasing something), to save a lot of CPU. Also, make less mobs spawn, but more powerful ones.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Reducing the step rate would definitely be a big plus for really low-end machines, but I don't think that's the issue I'm seeing. I think something in mobs is tying up the engine's formspec update mechanisms, and it maybe has more to do with how Irrlicht works than Minetest per se. I just wish I had some solid clues, but CPU and GPU is definitely not getting bottlenecked here. (I may be on a low-end machine, but it ain't that bad.)

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Followup: I did a little tweaking and I think on_step might be what's causing my lag. I did a little of this:

on_step = function(self, dtime)
            if self.stimer < 0.5 then        -- step timer
                self.stimer = self.stimer + dtime
                return
            else
                dtime = dtime + self.stimer
                self.stimer = 0
            end

if self.type == "monster" and minetest.setting_getbool("only_peaceful_mobs") then
etc.

And bam, the formspec lag seemed much less. I might be onto something. I'll keep testing this, though.

EDIT: Never mind. Scratch that. Something is still screwy, no matter the step time.
Last edited by gsmanners on Wed Apr 16, 2014 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Hmm... 1/2 sec per mob's state update should be "ok" for any net play. Thanks, gsmanners!
This also decreased overall load and now I have 25-30 fps on my Aspire one! :)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Does indeed lower lag and increaase fps on my system although it may just be me, but all monsters want to attack now instead of walking around...

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Monsters should want to attack, right? They are monsters, after all.

Okay, here's the thing:

If I put my game in survival mode, I get lag. No exceptions. If I put my game in creative mode, then I see the difference. That was the important thing I was missing. This mod + creative equals lag bomb in my formspecs (outside the player inventory, of course).

It's enough to make your head spin. Something going on in survival mode, only though. I'm going to narrow it down to the source, eventually.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

gsmanners wrote: Monsters should want to attack, right? They are monsters, after all.
Pretty stupid of them. They all eventually get killed by the players. They ought to run away as fast as they can whenever someone with a sword approaches! And then they ought to start buying in our shops :)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Sokomine wrote:
gsmanners wrote: Monsters should want to attack, right? They are monsters, after all.
Pretty stupid of them. They all eventually get killed by the players. They ought to run away as fast as they can whenever someone with a sword approaches! And then they ought to start buying in our shops :)
Exactly. Monsters must learn out of that they did.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

Re: [Mod] Simple Mobs [mobs]

by AMMOnym » Post

Hi, can i know how to use 2d version ?

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I'm planning to make a game of my own soon, which will be heavily dependent on mobs. I took a look at this mod again, checking how it works as well as the script. Once again, I love how much was achieved with such simple and little code, and the mod supports most features and mob behaviors one would typically use.

But there are a few basic things missing, which I'd plan on using in my game at least. If it doesn't make the mod too complex for what's intended, I'd really appreciate it if you could add them as well. If not then perhaps someone else can make a fork, who can maintain it so everyone benefits from new features. If someone's willing to include them, I can try coding the changes myself. Anyway, here is my list:
  • You can specify an idle sound and an attack sound for each mob. Please also add a damage sound (played when the mob is hit) and a death sound. Also, I suggest allowing a list rather than just a string... so multiple sounds can be specified per event and a random one is triggered. This shouldn't be costly... just do something like minetest.sound_play(self.sounds.attack[math.random(1, #self.sounds.attack)]).
  • Please add a simple system for attack groups, so monsters can only attack specific players or other mobs. Any player and mob can have a list of the form self.team = {"team1", "team2"}. If a mob comes across a player or mob to which they don't have a common elements in this list, it will attack them, otherwise it will be peaceful toward them. Player names could be used directly to allow befriending individual mobs.
  • There's a flag for taming mobs, as well as mobs following players as they wield a specific item... but no way to make a mob permanently stick with a player (pets or recruiting). I'd appreciate it if mobs could be indicated a player which they will always follow (while not attacking someone else). My suggestion is simply a value which contains a player name or entity number, and activates the same code sheep currently use to follow players holding wheat.
  • Although I consider this less important, I suggest a list of nodes that mobs will mine / consume at a given frequency. For example, {"default:grass", 0.01} could be added to sheep to make them eat grass at a probability of 1 / 100 per tick. Whenever the probability succeeds in the step function, the mob scans for the nearest node of this type, and if there is one it will walk towards it... making the node disappear once it touches it.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I put my fork on github it has some of the things you want done, and I plan on doing the things you listed except for the taming. Someone might use it or just copy some of my changes to their fork.

https://github.com/Bremaweb/mobs/

Changes:
Fixed Mobs not jumping when chasing player
NPCs are peaceful until you attack them, and they will recruit nearby NPCs to come to their defense
Male NPCs attack monsters
NPCs and Barbarians use the 3D Armor Model
Added mob attack sounds (called war_cry when they initially attack)
Mob death sounds
Weapon sounds when attacking a mob (you define the sound where you define your tools). Weapon sounds are a table added to the tool def

sounds = {[0]="default_sword_wood",[1]="default_sword_wood2"},
NPCs and Barbarians don't spawn automatically, they spawn when villages are spawned in my game.
Mobs/NPCs turn to look at you when you are nearby instead of just randomly turning, they will randomly turn when players aren't nearby

Edit:
Actually you probably won't be able to use my fork because of changes I made to default and this uses my skills and experience mods also, but maybe it will still help someone.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Good to know. Doesn't sound like I can use your fork directly though... if anything I'll make my own fork and add those changes. But I'd rather PilzAdam did them in the original mod or someone does a more popular fork so everyone can benefit, since the features I suggested are quite basic and shouldn't be a problem.

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

NPC's?

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Achilles wrote:NPC's?
Non Player Characters. They use the player model and skins, but they don't act much different than the mobs (other than they don't try to kill you) so calling them NPCs may be a little misleading.

Nathan

by Nathan » Post

This depends on "Default" and "Fire." Where do I get this "Fire" mod?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Nathan wrote:This depends on "Default" and "Fire." Where do I get this "Fire" mod?
It should be part of the default game.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Nathan

by Nathan » Post

I have gotten the following error:

Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: UV_rat.png
17:34:44: ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "creatures:sheep" not defined
This error repeatedly shows up, and no sheep or rats will spawn.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Nathan wrote:I have gotten the following error:

Nathan, your fist step is to get the latest development version of Minetest. If you have Windows, you can get a build of it from sfan5, BlockMen, or Fess.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

You can ignore the message about the sheep. It seems you had the creatures mod enabled and now disabled. The only thing that might happen is that you will find an "unknown entity" (formally known as sheep).

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

Stupid me, i downloaded code from main branch on github from the link, rewrote almost half of it to make it work acceptable. and only now i looked at github and saw, that it has bunch of more recent forks :D
At least i had some practice at coding in LUA :)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

This is not caused by this mod.
Inocudom wrote:

Nathan, your fist step is to get the latest development version of Minetest. If you have Windows, you can get a build of it from sfan5, BlockMen, or Fess.
Telling people to use the latest dev version without knowing that it fixes the problem is bad. The latest dev version is unstable and might harm the system it runs on.