[mod] Land Claim [0.7.1] [0gb_us]

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

First, make sure you have the new version of the plugin (version 0.5). We caught an error that lets users place doors in protected areas. Done on purpose, it can be used a sort of vandalism (place steel doors on people's property, and they cannot remove them because you own them). Done on accident, it can be frustrating to the placer, who just lost their door.
Kryuko wrote:Ok, but i want to make the "claim land" craftable/usable by only admins.
It's possible?

And it's possible create a special claim land block, to use only in the spawn areas?
I'm not sure how to make a special version for the spawn area, or even what the special version would do differently. It's possible, but would require a large chunk of the code be rewritten.

Usable by only admins isn't possible. How would the game know if you are an administrator? The head admin is known, so you could make it possible for only the head admin to place them, but all the others are basically regular users with power and authority.

Making a craft recipe only work for some users would also require a large amount of code be written, but I am certain it is possible, due to the way the crafting grid is implemented. However, if you comment out lines two through nine in 0gb_us/default.lua, you would make them completely uncraftable. Only people with the "give" privilege could get ahold of them, which would likely be only administrators.

However, if you are limiting their use to only admins, perhaps the node_ownership plugin would be a better option.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Okay, I lied. Don't use version 0.5. Ever. A bug in the code causes the server to crash if a user tries to hit another user with a full bucket of any normal liquid (basically, anything that isn't PilzAdam's bucket of rubber tree gunk). An addition, we found a bug in the door protection that prevents even the land owner from placing doors in any claimed area. Not so hazardous, but annoying.

Version 0.6 is up, and both errors have been corrected.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Mese has changed:

http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4154

Suggest using one of the Mese Blocks described in that post in place of the mese object you have now.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

So I saw ....

* sigh *

This is designed to run on the version of minetest_game that ships with the latest stable version of Minetest, so I will leave it as it is for now. When the new stable version of Minetest, this will be ready. I may even have two versions of it until that point. I'm not sure how I feel about the new mese yet, so I may yet remove it from the recipe. I'm going to update minetest_game on one of my servers today, to toy around with the stuff. More than likely though, I will swap it out for default:mese_block as you have suggested.

In any case, the recipe will be updated in time for the update. Thanks for letting me know!
Last edited by 0gb.us on Fri Dec 21, 2012 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Okay, I've unofficially decided on a new recipe. Due to the unusual way in which I want to implement backwards compatibility with the current version of this plugin and the current stable version of minetest_game, I can't just swap out the recipe. It will take some time to write up the new code and draw the new image.

Off the record, the new recipe will most likely be this:
default:cobble default:mese_crystal default:cobble
default:cobble default:desert_stone default:cobble
default:cobble default:stone default:cobble

One crystal, one desert stone, one stone, and six cobble.

Due to my initial reason for choosing mese to use in these blocks, using a full mese block does not seem fitting. In addition, in light of changes made in 0.4.4's minetest game, using only mese and cobble is also no longer fitting.

I also don't want to require nine times as much mese for protection, which using mese blocks would require. People still need mese for picks an other plugins, and I don't want to discourage the use of land protection.

I may instead create a new item out of one crystal, one desert stone, and one stone, and use that in place of mese in the current recipe. However, this is unlikely.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

II don't remember what all has been added. /showarea now puts a box around a map chunk, so you can see the edges. The box will disappear in 16 seconds.
Kryuko wrote:And it's possible create a special claim land block, to use only in the spawn areas?
This is now possible. Build a plugin that depends on 0gb_us. Then call us_0gb.regester_claimnode(node, image), where node is the name of the custom node, and image is a single image to use on all sides of the node.
VanessaE wrote:Mese has changed:
Experimental support has been added for crystal mese. People running the stable version of the game will have the regular recipe defined.

default:cobble default:cobble default:cobble
default:cobble default:mese default:cobble
default:cobble default:cobble default:cobble

People running a version with crystal mese will have the following recipe defined instead. Not in addition to.

default:cobble default:mese_crystal default:cobble
default:cobble default:desert_stone default:cobble
default:cobble default:stone default:cobble

EDIT: Oh, yeah. If you try to unclaim an area, but there is no room in your inventory to replace the claim item, the area will no longer be unclaimed anyway.

EDIT: Zeg9 fixed the entity generated by /showarea. Now, it can be seen from the INSIDE, as well as the outside. Thank you Zeg9!
Last edited by 0gb.us on Wed Dec 26, 2012 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I'm just about to release the next version of this (mostly just usability and efficiency fixes), but before I do, I need a new craft recipe. I'd like to move away from a mese-based system, and into an iron-based one. This actually has nothing to do with the change in mese to mese crystals, although I was one to protest that at first. It has to do with the fact that I've noticed some people on my server refusing to use mese picks, because they want to save their mese for land claiming. So instead, they waste precious iron on picks.

Iron has always been more valuable than mese, however. Just look at what you can do with it: buckets, locked chests and doors, tools of all types, steel blocks, et cetera. But from mese, all you can craft is a pick. I used mese in the recipe to give more value to mese, but instead, I ended up devaluing iron.

I thought about crafting nine locked chests together to make a land claim (the craft would be reversible), but as someone pointed out, that would require boat loads of wood. I also can't use nine iron ingots, as that recipe is already taken by steel blocks, and I'd rather not make steel blocks unobtainable. Other than that, the other recipes I've come up with have seemed hacky. I could use four iron ingots, but I'm not sure I like that recipe.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to list some preferences ...

* I would prefer the land claim be somehow decraftable, as the new land claims do not stack.
* Use of iron is a must, and must be the main source of the value of the land claim
* Use of mese is discouraged, as it doesn't help solve the problem
Last edited by 0gb.us on Wed Jan 09, 2013 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

As suggested in-game over chat:

I=steel ingot
C-cobble

Code: Select all

CIC
I I
CIC
Iron at edges represents security, cobble acts as land boubdary "markers" in the recipe.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I'm not sure that's the recipe I'm after, but I tried it out, and it does look surprisingly good in the crafting grid. I've switched it to your recipe for now.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

0gb.us wrote:I'm not sure that's the recipe I'm after, but I tried it out, and it does look surprisingly good in the crafting grid. I've switched it to your recipe for now.
Thanks! I just thought of it on a whim, and realized the meaning of the cobble and iron afterwards.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Development of 0gb_us as a single plugin will no longer continue. If anyone is still interested in this, it is still being developed as part of 0gb.us_game, the game used at 0gb.us:30000.

Topic: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3808
Github: https://github.com/0gb-us/0gb.us_game/t ... gb.us_game

Note: In the game directory, it is not called 0gb_us, but landclaim_0gb_us

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

I had to dig this out of your game mode to get it to work, but this, this is a fantastic protection plugin, I highly recommend this if you're scared of someone being able to grief with sand in a protected area, this fights everything! I don't know if it works against pistons and tnt though, but if you claim far enough from where you're building, that shouldn't be a problem. Fantastic plugin.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:I had to dig this out of your game mode to get it to work, but this, this is a fantastic protection plugin, I highly recommend this if you're scared of someone being able to grief with sand in a protected area, this fights everything! I don't know if it works against pistons and tnt though, but if you claim far enough from where you're building, that shouldn't be a problem. Fantastic plugin.
It does not protect against pistons or TNT (or anything non-default). I do take support requests though, so if you have something you need protection against, let me know. I assume you are referring to mesecons pistons, but there are so many TNT plugins available, you'll need to provide a link to the one you use if you want support for it.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

0gb.us wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:I had to dig this out of your game mode to get it to work, but this, this is a fantastic protection plugin, I highly recommend this if you're scared of someone being able to grief with sand in a protected area, this fights everything! I don't know if it works against pistons and tnt though, but if you claim far enough from where you're building, that shouldn't be a problem. Fantastic plugin.
It does not protect against pistons or TNT (or anything non-default). I do take support requests though, so if you have something you need protection against, let me know. I assume you are referring to mesecons pistons, but there are so many TNT plugins available, you'll need to provide a link to the one you use if you want support for it.
I request mesecons pistons and pilzadam tnt
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

0gb.us, can you tell me about you mod?
I mean, as far as I understand (didn't try to read all your explanation), you operate with chunks but set meta for every block inside "owned" chunk. Isn't it simpler to operate with areas? Or you have to switch to meta because of some performance issues?
I asking because, if you'll use areas, you won't have to worry about "supporting" blocks from any mod, so there should be a good reason to not use areas.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
I request mesecons pistons and pilzadam tnt
Okay. I'll work on that when I have time. Keep in mind that if the claim protects against pistons, pistons will basically have no effect inside claimed areas, as the piston won't be able to push any block within a claim. I'll make it configurable.

Come to think of it, I need to make the rest configurable as well.
4aiman wrote:0gb.us, can you tell me about you mod?
I mean, as far as I understand (didn't try to read all your explanation), you operate with chunks but set meta for every block inside "owned" chunk. Isn't it simpler to operate with areas? Or you have to switch to meta because of some performance issues?
I asking because, if you'll use areas, you won't have to worry about "supporting" blocks from any mod, so there should be a good reason to not use areas.
"Support" is what to protect AGAINST. As in, TNT operates outside the node digging methods, and therefore requires separate functions be modified. Otherwise, TNT can blow things up if placed just outside the claimed area. Same with pistons. They can be placed just outside the claimed area, and push things that are just inside. If a piston is placed INSIDE, no one can steal it, as it itself would be protected.

I do not set node meta data. I *WANT* to set map chunk meta data, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing.

This plugin does some simple math to find the map chunks, and saves claims to an external file. Unfortunately, this means the entire list of claims is loaded at all times. If I had map chunk meta data to work with, only the data for loaded chunks would be loaded. Maybe one day, once I learn C++, I can get that feature added.

The reason for working with the chunks is that they can be found with math. That makes it so unlike protector, it doesn't have to check a bunch of nodes for a claim each time a node is placed or dug. While saving data to every node would have benefits, it would make working with chunks pointless, and would have problems with falling nodes and flowing liquids. Both could wipe out air nodes (I think without any callbacks), wiping out the claim on those air nodes as well.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

12,060th post in Mod Releases!!!
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?