[Mod] Bones [bones]

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

[Mod] Bones [bones]

by PilzAdam » Post

Hello everyone!
This mod is basically a rewrite of Bad_Command_'s Bones mod.
When a player dies in survival mode a bones node is create at his die location. All the items from his inventory are placed in this bones. The tooltip of the node shows wich users owns the item.
In the first 20 minutes only the player who died can take the items or destroy the node. After this time the tooltip changes from "fresh bones" to "old bones" and everyone can take the items and destroy the node. The time can be changed server-side in minetest.conf with the "share_bones_time = [seconds]" entry.
You cant add items to bones that are placed by players.

License:
Source Code: WTFPL
Textures (by Bad_Command_): Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Depends:

GitHub:
https://github.com/PilzAdam/bones

Download:
https://github.com/PilzAdam/bones/archive/master.zip
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Jan 01, 2013 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I voted no because I think that there should be an extra gamemode for survival. But I'm not sure about that.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Casimir wrote:I voted no because I think that there should be an extra gamemode for survival. But I'm not sure about that.
We currently have 2 game modes: Creative and survival.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Casimir wrote:I voted no because I think that there should be an extra gamemode for survival. But I'm not sure about that.
We currently have 2 game modes: Creative and survival.
We have creative=infinite resources and survival=not infiniat resources
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

The main website says that Minetest has the aim to create a survival gameplay. This mod adds something in this direction.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

This should, if it is part of the default, be optionally turned on and off.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

This is an interesting concept.
Currently, there's no real loss in dying (you just return to the spawn). This would make users more careful about the dangers in the world (currently only falling from a height, and lava in vanilla game).
I agree that this should be made optional (to fit all needs).
BTW: I voted for Yes.
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Dec 31, 2012 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:This should, if it is part of the default, be optionally turned on and off.
If it is optional then i vote yes. If not then i keep my vote no.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

IMO it shouldnt be optional, because you still have the creative mode to turn all survival elements off.
And also MC doesnt ask you wether drop the items on death or not.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

It's not only the creative mode, you can disable damage. With no damage you won't die.
I'm switching to "yes".

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

kaeza wrote:This is an interesting concept.
Currently, there's no real loss in dying (you just return to the spawn). This would make users more careful about the dangers in the world (currently only falling from a height, and lava in vanilla game).
I agree that this should be made optional (to fit all needs).
BTW: I voted for Yes.
If you download the butter creeper mod you have another worry
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:IMO it shouldnt be optional, because you still have the creative mode to turn all survival elements off.
Casimir wrote:It's not only the creative mode, you can disable damage. With no damage you won't die.
I'm switching to "yes".
I want to still die but not loose every thing. Make it another option like Creative and Damage.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I voted "no" because having to travel to a possibly far away location where one died may take time. Even worse, more time is lost when building a house, beeing stuffed full of parts for that and having to rearrange them after dying. On the only server I saw that mod in work so far it did lead to a lot of conflict (valuable items lost due to another bug elsewhere; players generally more willing to kill each other).
PilzAdam wrote: Breaking the node will destry every item in the node.
I think that is an especially bad idea and might lead to malicious destruction of other peoples stuff.

On the other hand, loosing something when dying is important for the survival aspect. As are other things like hunger. Those effects might be good for players that are bored and want another challenge than building something.

Maybe those aspects can be mixed so that players on a server can choose which game-mode they currently prefer. Either survival with gaining experience points for doing things (killing monsters, defeating hunger etc.; maybe even a mode for PvP for those who want that; death with consequences as with this mod) or relatively uninterrupted building without getting experience points (there's no way to evaluate the quiality of a building automaticly, thus no point in giving points). Each player ought to be able to choose at least once per login which game-mode he/she currently prefers. Monsters would not attack those players who are in an almost-creative mode.
A list of my mods can be found here.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Sokomine wrote:I voted "no" because having to travel to a possibly far away location where one died may take time. Even worse, more time is lost when building a house, beeing stuffed full of parts for that and having to rearrange them after dying. On the only server I saw that mod in work so far it did lead to a lot of conflict (valuable items lost due to another bug elsewhere; players generally more willing to kill each other).
I think that is an especially bad idea and might lead to malicious destruction of other peoples stuff.

On the other hand, loosing something when dying is important for the survival aspect. As are other things like hunger. Those effects might be good for players that are bored and want another challenge than building something.

Maybe those aspects can be mixed so that players on a server can choose which game-mode they currently prefer. Either survival with gaining experience points for doing things (killing monsters, defeating hunger etc.; maybe even a mode for PvP for those who want that; death with consequences as with this mod) or relatively uninterrupted building without getting experience points (there's no way to evaluate the quiality of a building automaticly, thus no point in giving points). Each player ought to be able to choose at least once per login which game-mode he/she currently prefers. Monsters would not attack those players who are in an almost-creative mode.
People can only destroy or take away other people's items, if they dont get their things back after 20 minutes (or whatever configuration the server uses). So if such things happens then its maybe something that the server owner wants.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

guys, lets not forget: this is minetest! EVERYTHING is optional, just delete the folder minetest_game/mods/bones and you are done :D

I have votet YES because minetest is (to be honest) quite boring right now, we need a bit of a challenge!
Last edited by Iqualfragile on Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I think this is a good idea, different method of dying in survival then minecraft's way.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

-.- come on guys… if you dont want a challenge: just play in creative! there you will just respawn with all your items
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Yes 11 47.83%
No 12 52.17%
from the looks of it the best choice is to toggle it because then both sides will be happy. make it the third option to choose after creative and damage
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:-.- come on guys… if you dont want a challenge: just play in creative! there you will just respawn with all your items
Not wanting to lose our stuff when we die isn't the same as not wanting a challenge. I like having to avoid lava out of fear of returning to the spawn point and losing my place, but I don't want to lose my items.
PilzAdam wrote:IMO it shouldnt be optional, because you still have the creative mode to turn all survival elements off.
Who care what Minecraft does? We're not aiming to be Minecraft, are we? I hope not, because I don't find Minecraft to be fun.
jojoa1997 wrote:
Casimir wrote:It's not only the creative mode, you can disable damage. With no damage you won't die.
I'm switching to "yes".
I want to still die but not loose every thing. Make it another option like Creative and Damage.
Yes, I agree.
A better option would be to make it like the chests: indestructible when it's inventory isn't empty.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

I voted yes, we used this mod about 12months ago on the gameboom server, i think its still in use actually. Anyway it does make the game alot more interesting, there was always the danger of other players too. With this mod i never left home without a sword and made sure not to carry anything that was worth too much when adventuring. I have to admit i got used to it and joining other severs without bones did seem a bit boring
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

On second thought, it might be interesting. I still think it should be optional though. And the can_dig() function should DEFINITELY be changed from

Code: Select all

can_dig = function(pos, player)
        return is_owner(pos, player:get_player_name())
    end,
to

Code: Select all

can_dig = function(pos, player)
        local meta = minetest.env:get_meta(pos);
        local inv = meta:get_inventory()
        return is_owner(pos, player:get_player_name()) and inv:is_empty("main")
    end,
EDIT: It also seems that in your rewrite, if a player is inside a node when they die, the bones replace the node, and it is lost forever. Not a huge deal, but if this makes it into minetest_game, it would be nice if that bug were fixed.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Tue Jan 01, 2013 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

jmf

by jmf » Post

I played with this mod on globis survival server.
The special on this server is, that you can protect areas. So when you died in a protected
area, the bones could be "opened" and you got your stuff back, but the bones were lying
in the protected area for month and it didn't look good.
Also people built towers to jump down because they wanted those blocks.
Maybe those blocks should vanish after they have been emptied or if they are empty from the start.
But in the current state, i vote "no".
No longer active in minetest.

xavier108
IRC: Ezlif

by xavier108 » Post

rarkenin wrote:This should, if it is part of the default, be optionally turned on and off.
Yeah if this have a turn on and off switch i would go to yes but if it doesnt have ill go to no
Ezlif :D

xavier108
IRC: Ezlif

by xavier108 » Post

I dont like this mod many people are nerd stacking(people who make a pole out of dirt,cobble,gravel or any other stuff)just to get the bones.I remember I was adventuring for some ores but then i die in a lava.Know my diamonds that i collected and also the ores are gone.For short I got to go to no
Ezlif :D

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:-.- come on guys… if you dont want a challenge: just play in creative! there you will just respawn with all your items
+1