[Mod] Gauges

4aiman

[Mod] Gauges

by 4aiman » Post

I'm back and have smth new ;)

I'm gladly represent you... a HP bar above the player!
Now you'll be able to see how much HP have your friends/foes without having to turn on debug info! Useful for PVP/adventures!
Here's a screenshot of how does it looks like: Image

Dependencies: None!
Features:
  • Adds HP bar above the player
  • HP bar is entity attached to a player
  • Gauge removes itself upon his owner logoff
Minetest ver.: Any with the set_attach Lua callback.
Download: https://github.com/4aiman/minetest_gaug ... master.zip
or
Browse the code: https://github.com/4aiman/minetest_gauges

PS: My other stuff isn't forgotten, but I haven't had a single day-off for last month. So I'll be making a bit easier things right now to let myself relax a bit. Be right back soon enough ;)
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

+1
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Looks nice.

Maybe make the bar color and thickness configurable.

ArcticStorm

by ArcticStorm » Post

cool. +1 does the bar face the player 2 looking at it or does it only go wherever the player 1 looks at?'
Last edited by ArcticStorm on Mon Feb 11, 2013 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
Minetest

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

that's really cool! +341
you should make it for mobs and mobf!

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

ArcticStorm wrote:cool. +1 does the bar face the player looking at it or does it only forward the directio
Bar has the "sprite" drawtype, so it's always "faced" to the player :)
As for configurable... Be more specific:
- length/width? - Easy
- attachment position? - Easy
- colours... I'm using sprites, so need to redraw that.
We may have even more detailed bars, but just one for all players atm. Setting different sprites for different players will result in using them for displaying emoticons or smth like that. Maybe it would be nicer to have different mod for "differentiation" purposes?
Mito551 wrote:that's really cool! +341
you should make it for mobs and mobf!
I think I can :)
Will look into that :)
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

+1
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

+1 Just what I have been looking for.

Great job, cheers!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I really hope this makes it into the base game one day.

Josh

by Josh » Post

+1

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

I like it. Good mod.
I'm creator of these mods: Locked sign, Locked furnace, Money. And I'm a developer of The RealTest Game.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

This should also be implemeted for furnaces so we don't have to squint at an infotext.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

rarkenin wrote:This should also be implemeted for furnaces so we don't have to squint at an infotext.
Like this:
?

I can post an update but I've a question: Can I override ABM definition? 'Cause if no, then I would need to publish edited "init.lua" from the "default" mod... Ideas?
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Awesome!
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Should players have a % For the bar?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This could also be implemented for peaceful_npc and animals_modpack.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Idea for blocks... Maybe it would be better to draw gauge on the block itself rather then have an entity?
Pros:
- less entities = less glitches
Cons:
- "overlayed" gauge would require unification of textures resolution. There are no limits (sane ones exist) on resolution of the world's textures. And I don't want to adjust mu gauge for every texturepack.

Also entity is always player-oriented and "overlayed" texture isn't. But both have their "blind spots": in certain circumstances both can be invisible. I even may try to move gauge around it's "owner" node to a free space (if it exist), but there would be situations with 2 and more entities at the same place if I would.

So, I've convinced myself and would stick with entities for now ;)

Any thoughts on overriding ABM?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i'm against drawing gauges on blocks it unless it's a whole another block. but, that would look stupid. that all would look stupid :( so entities are the only 'pretty' way.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Mito551 wrote:i'm against drawing gauges on blocks it unless it's a whole another block. but, that would look stupid. that all would look stupid :( so entities are the only 'pretty' way.
Have thought about that too. One more pro of entities is that they do not occupy the world's space.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

Entity is the only way...i think
Last edited by pandaro on Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Is this still being worked on? Mods like animals_modpack, simple_mobs, zmobs, and peaceful_npc can benefit from this mod.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Inocudom wrote:Is this still being worked on? Mods like animals_modpack, simple_mobs, zmobs, and peaceful_npc can benefit from this mod.
I'm not working on anything Minetest related. In fact I expect moderators to finally notice and grant my wish to be banned.
Anyway, there's no point in using this: there are absolutely NO threats in the game.
Sapier, however, had promised he'll add gauges to the MOBF mod before I even started to think about quitting. MOBF is far from being stable, though... so he has other things to worry about.

I still have a plenty of ideas, but no one seems to care about Minetest having it's own face. Well, except really small group of unorganized (that stands for "not united in their attempts") people.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon May 06, 2013 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Mobf gained some stability in reccent times, and simple mobs can be seen on some smaller servers. The game engine itself got a lot more stable as well (at least for me). So there is hope and development :-)
4aiman wrote: I still have a plenty of ideas, but no one seems to care about Minetest having it's own face. Well, except really small group of unorganized (that stands for "not united in their attempts") people.
There are many diffrend ways how players and developers would like the game to be. And most of that can easily be changed and adapted, which is a great plus. Our singleplayer worlds may all be very diffrent.

Could the bar cointain other information, like e.g. the name of a trader npc?
A list of my mods can be found here.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Despite I have no need in anyone trying to make me think different of Minetest, I'll leave my comments here.
Mainly 'cause I know what I want from MT and 'cause things like callbacks on_formspec_close and on_clear_objects are lo-ong waited and proposed in early 0.4 are still not implemented. That's only an example.
Sokomine wrote:Mobf gained some stability in reccent times
Don't tell me you've actually like mobs behavior in MOBF. If you want, I can make a video which would be able to clearly show that MOBF not only unstable but also unusable. And if my 2-cored sandy bridge CPU with frequency of 2.8 GHz on each core is too slow for MOBF then I don't know what CPU it needs. But I DO know that upgrading my PC for sole reason of using MOBF is ridiculous. (Which again lead us to holy war of features like pathfinding should (not) be coded in C++).
Sokomine wrote:The game engine itself got a lot more stable as well (at least for me)

and
Sokomine wrote:There are many different ways how players and developers would like the game to be. And most of that can easily be changed and adapted, which is a great plus.
You're right here, Engine is developing. And it became better.
But while on the one hand devs says they won't add a features that can't be used for many things, they also ignore all enhancements mentioned at the forums. The only one who actually look into those wishes is Adam. But he seem to became too busy and much more easily irritated. So he to began to ask to go to the #minetest and ask there. Is it too difficult for devs to read and actually REPLY to all things wanted since early 0.4? I don't think so. But most of them more willingly spend their time on arguing than on reading wish lists. What's more, forum is useless for making those wishes - core devs do not treat it as a place to make those. (You want evidences? Follow Adam's and Celeron55's posts).

I'm not angry I'm just disappointed. Like in many other projects, devs have forgotten that w/o end-users their work is pretty useless. Even being a hobby, MT deserves more than that of being dead-before-version-1.0.

And look who leaves? Those who really want MT to be smth bigger and better.
On the other hand there always will be a lot of those who will use only what they have and won't ask for more. Great achievements (buttery butter) can't be achieved this way, though.
Sokomine wrote:Our singleplayer worlds may all be very diffrent.
The game is boring w/o challenge. While online I can participate in some kind of challenges (artificial, like building contest or mesecons machines, but still) there's absolutely no way I can enjoy the game in the singleplayer. Game does not have any threats or challenge. And by "game" I mean any game for MT engine. Well, realtest is challenging. But there's no way I can hate myself so much that I'll play it offline.

Summary: look at the desired features lists at MT forums and say, how many was implemented or at least discussed? If forums are only good for mods (and that's not smth I'm saying, but something heard from core devs) then "feature discussion" should be permanently deleted. As well as any "hope this will be added" at "unofficial engine development" should be treated as forum's law violation with a consequent ban for 1 month or more.

You may disagree, but at least for MOBF and "forum isn't the place to ask for features" my words ARE the Truth. (Like I said, I have enough evidences to be convinced myself.)
Sokomine wrote:Could the bar contain other information, like e.g. the name of a trader npc?
Ask someone else who is willing to maintain this. The only reason I replied ios this topic was started by me and I have "subscribed".
Last edited by 4aiman on Tue May 07, 2013 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

4aiman wrote:(Which again lead us to holy war of features like pathfinding should (not) be coded in C++).
Not sure if you meant this or not but FYI, pathfinding is implemented in C++.