Page 1 of 1

[Mod] Beds (Minecraft) [1.1] [beds]

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:15
by BlockMen
INFO: This mod is outdated. Please use my new version with many improments.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9881



-------------
Original post:


Hi everyone,

this mod is based on PilzAdam's beds mod, but differs in following ways:

Differences (to PilzAdam's beds):
- new look
- you can use every minecraft texture of bed
- fake "animation" of lying in bed: video

Screenshot:
Image
you can use every mc-texture of bed


Video-Review by darket
http://youtu.be/Ks9w8PZq6Y0

Recipes:
You can craft a bed following way:

Code: Select all

wool    wool    wool
wood    wood    wood
Since 1.1 it works with ever wool color and every kind of wood

Depends:
default
wool

Version 1.1 only works with last git or lastest builds that already include set_physics_override()
- PilzAdam's build (4a9b8aa-sandy)
- sfan5's build (c03c296)/lastest

Download:
Version 1.1: current Version
Notice: only last git or lastest builds

Version 1.0: first Release
Notice: only with Minetest 0.4.6

License:
WTFPL


Please give Feedback and ideas for improvement

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:24
by PilzAdam
BlockMen wrote:Differences (to PilzAdam's beds):
- new look
- you can use every minecraft texture of bed
- "animation" of lying in bed: video
- using rightclick for sleeping
The 3rd one is fake (you just change the pitch of the camera, if people move the camera they will notice that they still stand inside the bed).
The 4th isnt a difference, my mod uses rightclick too.

So you basically only changed the look of the mod.

Code: Select all

"Rip-offs" or identical mods

If you want to make a mod that has already been made (or make a copy of it), then make sure that it:

    has a new style/method of using.
    is quicker running, or has better code architecture.
    is not worth using or extending the old one because it is too slow, jumbled, bad code. 

and not:

    just changes textures (create a texture pack instead)
    just copies the code and rebrands it. 
(from http://dev.minetest.net/How_to_communicate)

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:04
by BlockMen
PilzAdam wrote:
BlockMen wrote:Differences (to PilzAdam's beds):
- new look
- you can use every minecraft texture of bed
- "animation" of lying in bed: video
- using rightclick for sleeping
The 3rd one is fake (you just change the pitch of the camera, if people move the camera they will notice that they still stand inside the bed).
The 4th isnt a difference, my mod uses rightclick too.

So you basically only changed the look of the mod.

Code: Select all

"Rip-offs" or identical mods

If you want to make a mod that has already been made (or make a copy of it), then make sure that it:

    has a new style/method of using.
    is quicker running, or has better code architecture.
    is not worth using or extending the old one because it is too slow, jumbled, bad code. 

and not:

    just changes textures (create a texture pack instead)
    just copies the code and rebrands it. 
(from http://dev.minetest.net/How_to_communicate)
The quotes ("") already show, that it is no proper animation. And ofc the pitch and yaw change has a similar effect.

4th, sorry. Seems i had not seen the last version of your mod. Is corrected now.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:49
by Evergreen
I'm sorry, but this isn't just a texture change. It is a 3D modeling change that makes it easier for TP porters.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 19:14
by thefamilygrog66
Here are a few other differences that I found:
  • these beds are destructive (i.e. the top part of the bed will destroy any block that's in the way when the bed is placed)
  • they won't let you sleep in them when it isn't night
  • they only have one colour/texture (as opposed to 9), unless you manually change them within the texture folder
  • there's no pillow
  • the legs aren't as well defined (they don't have inner sides) due to the simplified model
I guess if the point is to be able to copy minecraft beds, that's fine, though you should definitely change the name of the mod folder to something different, like "mcbeds", to avoid conflict with the existing beds mod. That's my 2 cents, admittedly biased since I spent time working on the beds mod.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57
by darket

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 17:05
by BlockMen
Thanks for this review too. Also added to first post ;)

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18
by jojoa1997

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 19:54
by 4aiman
thefamilygrog66 wrote:these beds are destructive (i.e. the top part of the bed will destroy any block that's in the way when the bed is placed)
This should be fixed. In MC if there's no space for a bed you simply cannot place it...

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27
by BlockMen
Update: Version 1.1

Changelog:
- fixed placing issue
- player can't move out of bed when sleeping (PilzAdam)
- player can't look around anymore when sleeping
- player is moved out of bed automaticly on wake up //like in minecraft (improved impression of lying in bed)
- beds can't placed hoovering anymore (e.g. half over cliff)
- beds can be crafted with every color of wool and every wood
- improved inventory image
- various bugfixes and code improvement

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:01
by clarksallador
i've got this problem:
11:58:17: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest-0.4.6\bin\..\games\MiniTest\mods\beds\init.lua:103: attempt to call method 'set_physics_override' (a nil value)

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 05:22
by kaeza
clarksallador wrote:i've got this problem:
11:58:17: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest-0.4.6\bin\..\games\MiniTest\mods\beds\init.lua:103: attempt to call method 'set_physics_override' (a nil value)
You need a newer version of Minetest. Get PilzAdam's latest build for Windows.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 07:05
by clarksallador
kaeza wrote:
clarksallador wrote:i've got this problem:
11:58:17: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest-0.4.6\bin\..\games\MiniTest\mods\beds\init.lua:103: attempt to call method 'set_physics_override' (a nil value)
You need a newer version of Minetest. Get PilzAdam's latest build for Windows.
Everytime i download it this always show : Failed - Network error

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 21:03
by BlockMen
clarksallador wrote:
kaeza wrote:
clarksallador wrote:i've got this problem:
11:58:17: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...etest-0.4.6\bin\..\games\MiniTest\mods\beds\init.lua:103: attempt to call method 'set_physics_override' (a nil value)
You need a newer version of Minetest. Get PilzAdam's latest build for Windows.
Everytime i download it this always show : Failed - Network error
like Kaeza already said: You need a version of Minetest, that support this function:

Try sfan5's lastest build: http://sfan.sf.funpic.de/minetest-build ... b-win32.7z (bc3072b)

or PilzAdam's lastest build: http://ompldr.org/vaTdsMw/minetest-0.4. ... -win32.zip (e703c5b-stuff)


Or you can use the older Version (https://www.dropbox.com/s/97hizprainfdo ... ockMen.zip), which works with Minetest 0.4.6.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 19:49
by Temperest
This is a pretty nice mod. Here's what I always add to the end of README.txt every time I download it:
Beds are crafted using the following recipe:

Wool Wool Wool
Wood Wood Wood
Although many people already know the recipe, it is helpful to have it available.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 13:47
by vktRus
Server crush.
Version deily build.

Code: Select all

17:42:17: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/minetest/
beds/init.lua:31: bad argument #1 to 'find_node_near' (table expected, got nil)
17:42:17: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread b6d54700:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-201305062007/src/main.cpp:2024: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD b6d54700:
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  Dedicated server branch)
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
(Leftover data: #4  void ItemStack::serialize(std::ostream&) const)

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 22:57
by vktRus
on the server if there are other players, that day does not come. But to go I can't.

rus: если на сервере есть другие игроки, то лёг в кроватку, а встать уже и идти не можешь, пока день не наступит или нужно перезаходить.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:45
by BlockMen
vktRus wrote:Server crush.
Version deily build.

Code: Select all

17:42:17: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/minetest/
beds/init.lua:31: bad argument #1 to 'find_node_near' (table expected, got nil)
17:42:17: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

[...]

Thanks for the error report. It seems that this mod has problems with multiplayers right now. I gonna fix that ASAP.
vktRus wrote:on the server if there are other players, that day does not come. But to go I can't.
The day time only changes if all players are lying in bed.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 19:00
by rubenwardy
Looks nice.