[WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

by VanessaE » Post

I've removed junglegrass from the plantlife modpack as the active spawning-and-regrowth stuff was somewhat annoying and laggy, but I was thinking, maybe you'd like to absorb it into the Undergrowth modpack, or maybe into the Dry Grasses mod, purely on an on-generated basis either way. I replaced it with some aliases to air to avoid unknown nodes, but those would be removed of course.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

VanessaE wrote:I've removed junglegrass from the plantlife modpack as the active spawning-and-regrowth stuff was somewhat annoying and laggy, but I was thinking, maybe you'd like to absorb it into the Undergrowth modpack, or maybe into the Dry Grasses mod, purely on an on-generated basis either way. I replaced it with some aliases to air to avoid unknown nodes, but those would be removed of course.
I know that junglegrass is a key ingredient for many crafting recipies. Won't this be a problem if you remove it from a core mod?

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

by VanessaE » Post

Well the default junglegrass node is still provided by minetest_game, as it always has been, and it is spawned at mapgen time (I think it happens whether jungles spawn or not). The active regrowth and multiple sizes just aren't being done by plantlife anymore, which is why I recommended at least adding the multiple sizes at mapgen time to the Undergrowth modpack.

The active growth/regrowth on random land is a dead deal though, imho. That turned out to be just plain annoying, as it tended to uglify nice clean yards around homes. MAYBE it could be farmed, as someone else had suggested, though.

Thoughts?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Post

VanessaE wrote:Well the default junglegrass node is still provided by minetest_game, as it always has been, and it is spawned at mapgen time (I think it happens whether jungles spawn or not). The active regrowth and multiple sizes just aren't being done by plantlife anymore, which is why I recommended at least adding the multiple sizes at mapgen time to the Undergrowth modpack.

The active growth/regrowth on random land is a dead deal though, imho. That turned out to be just plain annoying, as it tended to uglify nice clean yards around homes. MAYBE it could be farmed, as someone else had suggested, though.

Thoughts?
I'd like to see the different sizes of jungle grass again.
Personally I'd prefer adding them to the grasses/dryplants mod, just because of the theme. But I'm not against adding junglegrass to undergrowth.

Unwanted weed is part of a gardener's or farmer's life. So why not make that annoying growth optional (disabled by default)? It makes the game feel more "alive".

About farming jungle grass: why not? After all one might need it for resources.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Jungle grass, papyrus, and cacti are farmed in Minetest Classic. Maybe flowers could be too.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote: I'd like to see the different sizes of jungle grass again.
Personally I'd prefer adding them to the grasses/dryplants mod, just because of the theme. But I'm not against adding junglegrass to undergrowth.

Unwanted weed is part of a gardener's or farmer's life. So why not make that annoying growth optional (disabled by default)? It makes the game feel more "alive".

About farming jungle grass: why not? After all one might need it for resources.
Agree, junglegrass makes way more sense in grasses mod. Also annoying growth makes gardening fun.

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, then let's add those nodes to the dry grasses mod, and I will remove the remnants from the plantlife modpack (at present, all that remains of the junglegrass mod now is some various sizes -> air aliases, plus the git history, which you will probably want to call up to get the last real node defs and plants_lib settings if you don't have them).

Definitely leave active re-spawning-on-random-land off by default, but making them farmable is a good idea.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Post

VanessaE wrote:Ok, then let's add those nodes to the dry grasses mod, and I will remove the remnants from the plantlife modpack (at present, all that remains of the junglegrass mod now is some various sizes -> air aliases, plus the git history, which you will probably want to call up to get the last real node defs and plants_lib settings if you don't have them).

Definitely leave active re-spawning-on-random-land off by default, but making them farmable is a good idea.
Got an older version of Plantlife (more than one). Just started adding your code and textures to dryplants.
Spawning on already explored ground will be disabled by default.
I'm thinking about adding an abm to add variety to existing default junglegrass...

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

by VanessaE » Post

That might prove to be difficult, as the ABM would trigger repeatedly (per the interval setting) on the same set of nodes, unless you replace all of them on the first pass.

You could perhaps turn all default:junglegrass in the active region into randomized selections of the former plantlife sizes and/or say "drygrasses:junglegrass" (i.e. a different node name, but with the exact same appearance and properties as default jungle grass), all of which could drop default:junglegrass on dig, for compatibility with old recipes and the like.

Then your ABM will only ever fire once for a given area unless someone plants some new jungle grass or it somehow manages to respawn (I can't remember if the default plant spreading code in minetest_game does that or not, as it does with flowers).

This may still serve to annoy people though. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

by VanessaE » Post

some further suggestions:

[12-30 05:49] <Hirato_> cute, little rock models :o
[12-30 05:49] <Hirato_> but why do I need a pick to pick up a pebble :P
[12-30 05:50] <VanessaE> ?
[12-30 05:50] <Hirato_> it wouldn't let me pick up the pebble until I grabbed a wooden pick from a nearby chest
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> in my game?
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> interesting
[12-30 05:52] <Hirato_> yeah
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> maybe because they're still stone
[12-30 05:53] <VanessaE> have to bug Mossmannikin about that then
[12-30 05:53] <VanessaE> I forget if they drop cobblestone or what they become
[12-30 05:53] <Hirato_> it adds a "pebble" into my inventory

^^^^^^
Perhaps the pebbles, which probably should be called "small stones" or "small rocks" should be hand-diggable, since they give you exactly those into your inventory.

[12-30 05:54] <Hirato_> am I supposed to get things like YoungTree2Bottom from punchign certain trees?
[12-30 05:59] <Hirato_> "Forest Soil 4", weird
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> yes, those are all parts of the undergrowth modpack
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> it's still a work in progress :)
[12-30 06:01] <Hirato_> I'd expect them to turn into wood, and sticks, and dirt :P

^^^^^^
Indeed, the different pieces of the young tree should probably randomly drop sticks or leaves, while the forest soil blocks should probably split apart into dirt or dirt with grass, and leaves (or maybe a "crushed leaves" item that can be used as fuel or used in new recipes).

[12-30 06:02] <VanessaE> lemme post an excerpt from this chat to the appropriate topic
[12-30 06:04] <Hirato_> ahaha, floating moss, thanks to infinite liquid
[12-30 06:04] <Hirato_> er.. finite

^^^^^^
Add an ABM that runs every so often and checks if the node under these objects is indeed still water, and if not, drops these objects out as items?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
twoelk
Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 16:19
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk
Location: northern Germany

by twoelk » Post

actually I like the possabilty to "build" small trees. It's interesting for gardens and parks.

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Post

VanessaE wrote:some further suggestions:

[12-30 05:49] <Hirato_> cute, little rock models :o
[12-30 05:49] <Hirato_> but why do I need a pick to pick up a pebble :P
[12-30 05:50] <VanessaE> ?
[12-30 05:50] <Hirato_> it wouldn't let me pick up the pebble until I grabbed a wooden pick from a nearby chest
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> in my game?
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> interesting
[12-30 05:52] <Hirato_> yeah
[12-30 05:52] <VanessaE> maybe because they're still stone
[12-30 05:53] <VanessaE> have to bug Mossmannikin about that then
[12-30 05:53] <VanessaE> I forget if they drop cobblestone or what they become
[12-30 05:53] <Hirato_> it adds a "pebble" into my inventory

^^^^^^
Perhaps the pebbles, which probably should be called "small stones" or "small rocks" should be hand-diggable, since they give you exactly those into your inventory.

Propably one should be able to pick up a pebble/stone without any tool (allready thought about it and then forgot about it), not sure about renaming it, but worth consideration.

@Evergreen:
What do you think?

VanessaE wrote: [12-30 05:54] <Hirato_> am I supposed to get things like YoungTree2Bottom from punchign certain trees?
[12-30 05:59] <Hirato_> "Forest Soil 4", weird
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> yes, those are all parts of the undergrowth modpack
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> it's still a work in progress :)
[12-30 06:01] <Hirato_> I'd expect them to turn into wood, and sticks, and dirt :P

^^^^^^
Indeed, the different pieces of the young tree should probably randomly drop sticks or leaves, while the forest soil blocks should probably split apart into dirt or dirt with grass, and leaves (or maybe a "crushed leaves" item that can be used as fuel or used in new recipes).

Yes, it's still WIP and will be until at least next year ;)
Getting a dirt node and some leaves from forest soil is already on the dusty to-do-list.

About the young trees I'd like to quote:
twoelk wrote:actually I like the possabilty to "build" small trees. It's interesting for gardens and parks.
@Neuromancer:
What do you think?

VanessaE wrote: [12-30 06:02] <VanessaE> lemme post an excerpt from this chat to the appropriate topic
[12-30 06:04] <Hirato_> ahaha, floating moss, thanks to infinite liquid
[12-30 06:04] <Hirato_> er.. finite

^^^^^^
Add an ABM that runs every so often and checks if the node under these objects is indeed still water, and if not, drops these objects out as items?
Good idea (at least worth trying). :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

User avatar
wtfsamcrap
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 21:23
Location: Look behind you :)
Contact:

by wtfsamcrap » Post

while you do+1+2 https://github.com/Mossmanikin/undergro ... all/master
Neuromancer wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:
Evergreen wrote:I think it would be a good idea to put this project on github. That way, it is much easier to collab, and make testing branches and such.
Absolutely agree.
Sadly enough I still don't get how to do it.
Best thing to do is to download the client and use that. Are you on windows?

http://windows.github.com/
Mods

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote: ^^^^^^
VanessaE wrote: [12-30 05:54] <Hirato_> am I supposed to get things like YoungTree2Bottom from punchign certain trees?
[12-30 05:59] <Hirato_> "Forest Soil 4", weird
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> yes, those are all parts of the undergrowth modpack
[12-30 06:01] <VanessaE> it's still a work in progress :)
[12-30 06:01] <Hirato_> I'd expect them to turn into wood, and sticks, and dirt :P

^^^^^^
Indeed, the different pieces of the young tree should probably randomly drop sticks or leaves, while the forest soil blocks should probably split apart into dirt or dirt with grass, and leaves (or maybe a "crushed leaves" item that can be used as fuel or used in new recipes).

Yes, it's still WIP and will be until at least next year ;)
Getting a dirt node and some leaves from forest soil is already on the dusty to-do-list.

About the young trees I'd like to quote:
twoelk wrote:actually I like the possabilty to "build" small trees. It's interesting for gardens and parks.
@Neuromancer:
What do you think?
While it would be more realistic when digging up young trees to get sticks & leaves, I left it so you could build your own young trees wherever you like. So I went with twoelk's idea. I think it is ok that way.

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

by Inocudom » Post

I am curious to know what MirceaKitsune thinks of this modpack. It adds a good deal of nature to Minetest.

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

by Inocudom » Post

Neuromancer and/or Mossmanikin, would you consider having this mod support the beautiful mod linked to below?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8772
The mod beyond that link is the forest mod by Gael de Sailly. Please, try to have undergrowth support it, for what better place is there for undergrowth than an actual, real forest.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 4083
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

by Wuzzy » Post

Hi, I have made a bit cleanup on the rough edges of this mod. Here’s a pull request:
https://github.com/Mossmanikin/undergrowth/pull/8

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

by VanessaE » Post

I have imported the components of this modpack into Plantlife modpack (since they depend on plants_lib).

Since this modpack is no longer being maintained by its original author, future development of this modpack's components should take place in plantlife.

https://github.com/VanessaE/plantlife_modpack

Wuzzy, I've applied your patch to my copy in plantlife.

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

by VanessaE » Post

I've moved this mod to the "Old Mods" section, since it is no longer separately maintained.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests