• youngtrees

Dependencies: default (minetest), plants_lib
Supports: ferns, moretrees, stoneage, sumpf, trees

Screenshots
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

GitHub: https://github.com/Mossmanikin/undergrowth

License: everything CC-BY 3.0 (some parts also WTFPL)

Prehistory
Spoiler
Neuromancer wrote:For example in a woods or forest, no grass grows. Instead you see dirt with roots and decaying leaves, with sporadic plants here and there. We should try to do this. If there are a bunch of tree trunks and leaves around, replace "dirt with grass" with "dirt with roots".
Neuromancer wrote:There should also be large bushes 3x3x2tall and some even larger than this. I like the idea of experimenting with using both plantlike textures for branches and leaf nodes for bush leaves.
Neuromancer wrote:I have an idea for forest roots. At first I was thinking they would be like grass on dirt, just the top of a regular block. But then I thought wouldn't it be cooler to create really short plant like nodes on top of them to make the roots stick out of the ground. Also I thought that it might also be good to use regular block nodes with roots drawn along 1 or 2 edges in an "L" shape and everything else transparent. This could create a nice 3-d effect for roots.
Neuromancer wrote:I'm thinking the ground in a forest would be darker because of the richness of the soil caused by the rotting leaves.
Neuromancer wrote:Here's the concept for Bushes:
Mossmanikin wrote:Did some testing with grass variation. The result (unintentionally) looks a bit like dry leaves on grass.
Last edited by Mossmanikin on Sat Dec 21, 2013 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I just went walking in a woods and boy was I suriprised, yes there was dirt, roots, seeds, and lots of dried leaves on the ground, but there were many more broken sticks on the ground than roots. What surprized me was a ton of green. At first I thought they were plants, but then realized they were all kinds of seedlings and saplings of every size from 1 foot tall to 15 feet tall. A sea of green leaves and skinny trunks of all sizes. (I also saw some moss on the ground, not a ton of it, but there was more than I realized. There were some fallen rotting logs as well. There was as I suspected very few plants or grasses.

But mostly sticks, dried leaves, and seedlings and saplings everywhere.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 14, 2013 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Will this support VanessaE's moretrees and Bas080's tiny_trees as well? Will jungles be supported?

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:I just went walking in a woods and boy was I suriprised, yes there was dirt, roots, seeds, and lots of dried leaves on the ground, but there were many more broken sticks on the ground than roots. What surprized me was a ton of green. At first I thought they were plants, but then realized they were all kinds of seedlings and saplings of every size from 1 foot tall to 15 feet tall. A sea of green leaves and skinny trunks of all sizes. (I also saw some moss on the ground, not a ton of it, but there was more than I realized. There were some fallen rotting logs as well. There was as I suspected very few plants or grasses.

But mostly sticks, dried leaves, and seedlings and saplings everywhere.
Looks like we have a lot of work to do. ;)
Inocudom wrote:Will this support VanessaE's moretrees and Bas080's tiny_trees as well? Will jungles be supported?
Would be nice to have different soil near different trees.
Guess you can take that as a "yes". :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I think it would be a good idea to put this project on github. That way, it is much easier to collab, and make testing branches and such.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:I think it would be a good idea to put this project on github. That way, it is much easier to collab, and make testing branches and such.
Absolutely agree.
Sadly enough I still don't get how to do it.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Evergreen wrote:I think it would be a good idea to put this project on github. That way, it is much easier to collab, and make testing branches and such.
Absolutely agree.
Best thing to do is to download the client and use that. Are you on windows?

http://windows.github.com/
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:
Absolutely agree.
Best thing to do is to download the client and use that. Are you on windows?

http://windows.github.com/
Yes I'm on windows, maybe that explains why I'm having trouble to understand how to use github :D

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Yes I'm on windows, maybe that explains why I'm having trouble to understand how to use github :D
They have a bunch of tutorials for command line git on their site but I never use that as the windows github client is much easier to use.

If you need I could set up a repository, but it's probably best for you to do that, and you would have to learn the basics anyway just to contribute to the repository.

It is totally worth the time investment to learn as not only can you collaborate easier, but you can version and rollback yoru code much easier as well.

Here's how to get started.

https://help.github.com/articles/gettin ... or-windows
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:
They have a bunch of tutorials for command line git on their site but I never use that as the windows github client is much easier to use.

If you need I could set up a repository, but it's probably best for you to do that, and you would have to learn the basics anyway just to contribute to the repository.

It is totally worth the time investment to learn as not only can you collaborate easier, but you can version and rollback yoru code much easier as well.
Thanks for the link. :)

I tried the command line a few times and didn't work. I'll check this one out.

I almost asked if one of you guys wanted to set something up, but I'll have to learn how to do it anyway.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Here's the Git link.
Nothing there yet, exept license.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Here's the begnining of a bushes mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0lmbaz4njscajf/bushes.zip

You can place a single plant like node, 2 larger half nodes next to each other, or 4 larger half nodes in the following pattern (as seen from above

then just put leaves on top.
Spoiler
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 14, 2013 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:Here's the Git link.
Nothing there yet, exept license.
Would you mind if I changed it to a CC BY-SA 3.0 license? I prefer it because it requires that the person gives you credit if they use your code/textures.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Here's the begnining of a bushes mod.

You can place a single plant like node, 2 larger half nodes next to each other, or 4 larger half nodes in the following pattern (as seen from above

Spoiler
Those bushes look nice. I'd say we use them :)
Evergreen wrote:Would you mind if I changed it to a CC BY-SA 3.0 license? I prefer it because it requires that the person gives you credit if they use your code/textures.
If Neuromancer is ok with it, feel free to do so. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

You know what, I'm just going to start working on something for this. I'll see what I can make, and I'll show it to you afterwards.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:You know what, I'm just going to start working on something for this. I'll see what I can make, and I'll show it to you afterwards.
Nice!
I'm glad the day has come we're working on a mod together. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Here's the begnining of a bushes mod.

Spoiler
Those bushes look nice. I'd say we use them :)
Evergreen wrote:Would you mind if I changed it to a CC BY-SA 3.0 license? I prefer it because it requires that the person gives you credit if they use your code/textures.
If Neuromancer is ok with it, feel free to do so. :)
I'm ok with it we can go with CC BY-SA 3.0. Though I don't need any restrictions for my stuff. I'd be fine with WTFPL too.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 14, 2013 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

So the proof of concept bushes look really bad, but can they be refined into something good, or should we take a completely different approach?

I'm thinking we could do the following to improve them:
improve the twig/branch textures
improve the leaf textures (mainly make them smaller, and thinner)
make the leaf part 2 nodes high
bring some of the leaf texture into the branch/twig texture and and make it un-even and natural looking
make the bushes look less blocky by breaking leaf nodeboxes into 8 boxes, and randomly picking only a few of the 1/8 size boxes to be populated with leaves.

Feel free to mess with what I came up with or suggesting what approaches we could take.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Neuromancer wrote:So the proof of concept bushes look really bad, but can they be refined into something good, or should we take a completely different approach?

bring some of the leaf texture into the branch/twig texture and and make it un-even and natural looking
make the bushes look less blocky by breaking leaf nodeboxes into 8 boxes, and randomly picking only a few of the 1/8 size boxes to be populated with leaves.

Feel free to mess with what I came up with or suggesting what approaches we could take.
Can either of you make me a pebble nodebox? I am working on rocks.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:Can either of you make me a pebble nodebox? I am working on rocks.
I would give it a try.
How big should it/they be?

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I stole a bunch of code from Mossmanikin's long grass growing code, and sequoia leaves from moretrees, but I have a working bushes mod. (It looks kinda funky but it's ok.)

Spoiler

Mod:
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Sep 15, 2013 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Evergreen wrote:Can either of you make me a pebble nodebox? I am working on rocks.
I would give it a try.
A pebble should be fairly small, a bit less than a block in size. I also want a large rock, that is about 2 wide and 1 high.
Back from the dead!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:So the proof of concept bushes look really bad, but can they be refined into something good, or should we take a completely different approach?

I don't think they look that bad. The shapes of the branches are very nice. Maybe they should be darker.
Small bushes (the plantlike branches with 1 leave node) are actually fine near trees (but not really in the field).
I tested a bit with different leaves (from default and tiny trees) and I think it's a nice variation.
Spoiler

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:
I would give it a try.
A pebble should be fairly small, a bit less than a block in size. I also want a large rock, that is about 2 wide and 1 high.
Ok, I'll see what I can do.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Spoiler
Spoiler
Last edited by Evergreen on Sun Sep 15, 2013 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!