[WIP] Undergrowth [GitHub]

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I added a second kind of young tree, but put it in the bushes mod because it uses the bushes nodes. It is checked in to github. It needs it's textures improved, and maybe a little variety, but the concept seems to look ok. Everyone feel free to play around with it and improve it.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Oct 20, 2013 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually those new plants look pretty good as-is. Only needs some tweaks here and there to fix the occasional missing/mismatched pixel, but nothing major.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

Mistake in the trunks part in last build ..

i always get the following mistakes, when i remove trunks game is running again.

Dateien\Downloads\minetest-0.4.7-a924409-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks\init.lua:
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks/generating.lua:221: attempt to index a nil value
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks/generating.lua:221: in main chunk
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...09-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks\init.lua:11: in main chunk
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

something wrong with the generating.lua and description (des) cause of no data for the index ?!?!!?!!??
Last edited by tkerwel on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:I added a second kind of young tree, but put it in the bushes mod because it uses the bushes nodes. It is checked in to github. It needs it's textures improved, and maybe a little variety, but the concept seems to look ok. Everyone feel free to play around with it and improve it.
VanessaE wrote:Actually those new plants look pretty good as-is. Only needs some tweaks here and there to fix the occasional missing/mismatched pixel, but nothing major.
I agree, they already look good the way they are. Just a few pixels should do it.

tkerwel wrote:Mistake in the trunks part in last build ..

i always get the following mistakes, when i remove trunks game is running again.

Dateien\Downloads\minetest-0.4.7-a924409-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks\init.lua:
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks/generating.lua:221: attempt to index a nil value
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks/generating.lua:221: in main chunk
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: ...09-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\trunks\init.lua:11: in main chunk
12:26:33: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

something wrong with the generating.lua and description (des) cause of no data for the index ?!?!!?!!??
I'm still not able to reproduce this error (neither with 0.4.7 stable, nor with the build you used).
Are you sure you have the latest versions of undergrowth/plantlife/moretrees/trees?

---------------------

Added missing root mask to GitHub

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

@Mossmanikin
i will use tomorrow a clean new minetest-0.4.7-a924409-win32 and then add only the newest undergrowth from github, looks like there is something interfearing with the other mods i add.

in the moment i only can say that the mistakes occurs when i put the trunk part into the game from the undergrowth, as soon as i remove this the game is running again.

i think you are right that this must be a interaction with plantlife or moretrees/trees...

okay i found the problem... i use JKMurray Mod => JKFarming looks like there are changes in this mod with plants_lib and trees....

sorry for the confusion
Last edited by tkerwel on Mon Oct 21, 2013 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

For caves, I recommend stalagmites to go along with the stalactites.

I examined this modpack today, so I can say that it is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen done for Minetest.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Inocudom wrote:For caves, I recommend stalagmites to go along with the stalactites.

I examined this modpack today, so I can say that it is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen done for Minetest.
Sorry about that, been lazy about working on the stalactites/stalagmites. I'm not sure when it will be done.
Back from the dead!

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to combine bushes and young trees into one mod for performance reasons because they all use the same spawning rules. But I'm not sure what the mod should be called. BranchingPlants doesn't sound that good and doesn't give a great idea of what's inside. Maybe call the mod Branchlings?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Oct 26, 2013 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Maybe something generic like misc_foliage ? Really, bushes is still more than adequate I think.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:I'm thinking it might be a good idea to combine bushes and young trees into one mod for performance reasons because they all use the same spawning rules. But I'm not sure what the mod should be called. BranchingPlants doesn't sound that good and doesn't give a great idea of what's inside. Maybe call the mod Branchlings?
VanessaE wrote:Maybe something generic like misc_foliage ? Really, bushes is still more than adequate I think.
I think merging them is a good idea. But I'm not sure if renaming bushes would be necessary. One could still see bushes as the main theme and the mod would also have some different but related stuff.
Is renaming everything and creating all these aliases worth the result?
In case you really want a different name: "branchlings" sounds good, here some other suggestions: "woody_plants" or "groves".

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, "groves" sounds good!

But, renaming the mod comes with a side effect: you'll have to either rename the nodes/items to match the new name, and add aliases to avoid breaking maps, or keep everything under the "bushes" namespace but prefix all nodes/items with a colon as usual.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Added mole hills.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Mossmanikin wrote: Added mole hills.
Finally! I've waited for them for a long time, even planned to do some myshelf - but they didn't look convincing.

I've paid no special attention to this thread so far even though what it aims at intrests me a lot. Now I started exploring the undergrowth at Vaneassas Survival server - and I have to say: I'm impressed! You did with that mod to nature what excellent builders do with blocks - but instead of a house, you three created a very convincing, wild, detail-rich nature where at every step there's something new and nice to explore: Here a root, there a twig, a diffrent color, nice plants, fallen trees, bushes, smaller trees.... No longer boring meadows with just trees!

Thank you for this wonderful mod! It will be part of my next singleplayer world.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Sokomine wrote:Finally! I've waited for them for a long time, even planned to do some myshelf - but they didn't look convincing.
Wanted to add them from the moment on you mentioned them, because I really like the idea (but there were so many other things I was working on), so it's a "Finally!" for me too. :)
Sokomine wrote:I've paid no special attention to this thread so far even though what it aims at intrests me a lot. Now I started exploring the undergrowth at Vaneassas Survival server - and I have to say: I'm impressed! You did with that mod to nature what excellent builders do with blocks - but instead of a house, you three created a very convincing, wild, detail-rich nature where at every step there's something new and nice to explore: Here a root, there a twig, a diffrent color, nice plants, fallen trees, bushes, smaller trees.... No longer boring meadows with just trees!

Thank you for this wonderful mod! It will be part of my next singleplayer world.
Thank you for your feedback and you're welcome. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Anything going on with this mod lately? It is such a nice mod.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

My survival and creative servers have a bit of code added via a separate sort-of-mod that redefines many of this modpack's plants so that they wave when the waving leaves/plants shader RBA's did is enabled.

This code also makes similar changes to ferns, dry grasses, and a few others.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

VanessaE wrote:My survival and creative servers have a bit of code added via a separate sort-of-mod that redefines many of this modpack's plants so that they wave when the waving leaves/plants shader RBA's did is enabled.

Will the code ever be released (and will farming_plus get the coding too?)

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Inocudom wrote:
VanessaE wrote:My survival and creative servers have a bit of code added via a separate sort-of-mod that redefines many of this modpack's plants so that they wave when the waving leaves/plants shader RBA's did is enabled.

Will the code ever be released (and will farming_plus get the coding too?)
That would be nice to see.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I agree with everyone else, please share this mod code! This is one of those holy grail features I thought would never come to minetest but wished for! Too good to be true.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Neuromancer wrote:

I agree with everyone else, please share this mod code! This is one of those holy grail features I thought would never come to minetest but wished for! Too good to be true.
Was the code added?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sure. See attachment. Some of the code is obsolete now since minetest_game now directly supports the new shaders, but that doesn't break anything.

You'll have to edit this to suit your particular install, as it doesn't do any dependency checking - it just blindly assumes the supported mods exist.
Attachments
waving_plants.zip
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Sorry I've been inactive here for a while. I had a lot of other stuff to do and still have.
Don't know exactly when I'll continue modding for minetest, but I hope soon.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

VanessaE wrote:Sure. See attachment. Some of the code is obsolete now since minetest_game now directly supports the new shaders, but that doesn't break anything.

You'll have to edit this to suit your particular install, as it doesn't do any dependency checking - it just blindly assumes the supported mods exist.
I got Sfan's latest build, and I put this mod in my Eden game, and changed settings to waving plants, waving leaves, and waving water.
but still no waving. I see that it complains about farming plus not being loaded. I removed farming plus from depends.txt and init.lua but then I got "attempt to access clonenode a nil value", so I added plantslib to depends right after default, and the error went away, but still no waving leaves or plants.

Is Sfan's latest sufficient?
Do I have to enable something in the configuration?
Was I right to pull out farming plus definitions from init.lua and depends?

I do see the waving water and that looks awesome. No waving plants or leaves though.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Dec 11, 2013 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I'm not entirely sure why it didn't work, but suffice to say, you can get by without it - just add

Code: Select all

waving = 1,
to each of the node defs that you want the waving to apply to. Then just make sure both the client and server are up-to-date enough and that you have the shaders turned on in the client of course (which I guess you do).

These waving shaders only work with plantlike and allfaces_optional drawtypes (leaves) and with liquids of course, as you saw.

For plants, use it on pretty much everything that would be kinda "loosely organized" in real life, i.e. grasses, reeds, ferns, anything "floppy" or "swishy".

For the young trees, use it only on the node that serves as the top/crown, because there is no shader available yet that would make the base of the plant sway properly relative to the top (but the top swaying by itself does look really good).

Don't apply the effect to the bushes leaves, because those should really sorta "flutter", and neither of the shaders does this (maybe an animated texture is more appropriate).

Don't apply the effect to flowers, horsetail ferns, or any other plants where the whole object should move in one piece, because there is no shader that will achieve this effect yet (otherwise, you get an effect that looks like two flowers or whatever sliding back and forth through one another. That's why I suggested using it only on "floppy", "swishy" plants where that effect would be appropriate).

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

VanessaE wrote:I'm not entirely sure why it didn't work, but suffice to say, you can get by without it - just add

Code: Select all

waving = 1,
to each of the node defs that you want the waving to apply to. Then just make sure both the client and server are up-to-date enough and that you have the shaders turned on in the client of course (which I guess you do).

These waving shaders only work with plantlike and allfaces_optional drawtypes (leaves) and with liquids of course, as you saw.

For plants, use it on pretty much everything that would be kinda "loosely organized" in real life, i.e. grasses, reeds, ferns, anything "floppy" or "swishy".

For the young trees, use it only on the node that serves as the top/crown, because there is no shader available yet that would make the base of the plant sway properly relative to the top (but the top swaying by itself does look really good).

Don't apply the effect to the bushes leaves, because those should really sorta "flutter", and neither of the shaders does this (maybe an animated texture is more appropriate).

Don't apply the effect to flowers, horsetail ferns, or any other plants where the whole object should move in one piece, because there is no shader that will achieve this effect yet (otherwise, you get an effect that looks like two flowers or whatever sliding back and forth through one another. That's why I suggested using it only on "floppy", "swishy" plants where that effect would be appropriate).
Thanks much Vanessa! That did the trick. Thanks to your help, I added a lot of waving plants to the Eden game. The only hard part was realizing the grass was overridden not just in dryplants, but also in farming which is where I needed to make the change.