[Mod] Nature Pack [1.0.4]

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

neko259 wrote:
RandomBot wrote:
neko259 wrote: Okay, make me some feature requests list and I will look at it when I have time. Maybe I'll even implement something ;)
could you look into making this mod work with the seasons in madblocks, like different flowers or have the current ones grow on the terrain, because when i use the 2 mods together there is only a small window for the nature stuff to grow.
I don't really understand what you mean. What goes wrong when you run these two mods together?
Thats cuz i switch dirt_with_grass with 4seasons:grass_spring/autumn/winter, but it still makes sense that stuff should only mostly grow in summer :p

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I used to like this mod a lot especially for the variety of flowers and bushes, but the super tall trees & papyrus just make the world look ridiculous. There really needs to be a parameter that allows the user to turn tall plants on or off. I know this has been brought up before but Neko disagreed with the other users complaint. The user was right. While a few might want a nature gone insane mod, What most people will want is a realistic nature mod with a variety of plants. They do not want 1000 foot tall crazy looking trees. Other than that this is a great mod.

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

Neuromancer wrote:I used to like this mod a lot especially for the variety of flowers and bushes, but the super tall trees & papyrus just make the world look ridiculous. There really needs to be a parameter that allows the user to turn tall plants on or off. I know this has been brought up before but Neko disagreed with the other users complaint. The user was right. While a few might want a nature gone insane mod, What most people will want is a realistic nature mod with a variety of plants. They do not want 1000 foot tall crazy looking trees. Other than that this is a great mod.
Look at the download link one page back, and second to last post. I linked it again here.

----------------------

For neko259 i added the line below next to the lines i entered. I updated the zip file below. I did notice one small typo on a variable i added. It is all fixed now :)
-- Added by Nubelite

Nature Pack Controlled
Last edited by Nubelite on Tue Jul 24, 2012 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Nubelite wrote: Look at the download link one page back, and second to last post. I linked it again here.

----------------------

For neko259 i added the line below next to the lines i entered. I updated the zip file below. I did notice one small typo on a variable i added. It is all fixed now :)
-- Added by Nubelite

Nature Pack Controlled
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

There is an issue with the flowers mod. If you place them or flowers in a pot, you can't get rid of them, even with a pickaxe. I fixed it by doing the following for all the minetest.register_node code & minetest.register_craftitem:

Commenting out this:
--groups = { snappy = 3},

And adding this:
groups = {snappy=3,choppy=2,oddly_breakable_by_hand=2,flammable=3},

Can this be made part of the flowers mod? It's a pain not to be able to get rid of flowers & pots when you place them.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

Download: Nature Pack Controlled

I updated the flower part like you said Neuromancer, i also added some tree growing modifications. So instead of a tower it will branch out a bit. It has a 50% chance to grow straight up in the y direction, and a 12.5% chance to grow in any x or z directions.

The height is limited by the block it is trying to grow from. It will look 15 spots down for a trunk or air, if it finds either it will not grow. adding a more dynamic height so trees on a cliff wont grow as tall as the ones on solid ground or hills.

Iron trees grow straight up still and have a shorter height.

some trees dug out to show the growth.
Last edited by Nubelite on Thu Jul 26, 2012 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Nubelite: Can you please re-package Nature Pack Controlled so that it unzip's to a single folder? That is, a folder containing the nature, vines, flowers, etc. folders now present, and an empty file named modpack.txt , so that the game will recognize this as a modpack.

Neko: can you please also add modpack.txt to the root folder of standard Nature Pack? Thanks.
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Jul 28, 2012 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

So it all shows as one mod? I think I know how bit will have to work on it

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

no, it's just that when you unzip it, it creates several folders, one per mod - but they all need to be contained inside one "main" folder, with that modpack.txt file (empty) in with them. That way the game recognizes the collection as a modpack and they can all be kept in that one folder.

That is, when unzipped, the user should receive something like this:

Code: Select all

nature_pack_controlled/   <---- "main" folder
       |-----modpack.txt  <---- empty file
       |-----bushes/
       |     |-----cooking.lua
       |     |-----init.lua
       |     |-----textures/
       |    [...]
       |
       |-----nature/
       |      |----blossom.lua
       |      |----cactus.lua
       |      |----textures/
       |     [...]
       |
       |-----irontrees/
     [...]
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Jul 28, 2012 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

o thank you. i updated the download link as you stated and tested it out to make sure i didn't mess up lol.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hi Nubelite,

Looks good, one last thing is you need a modpack.txt. This tells minetest to load all the folders in your mod as sub-mods.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Also, your copy of vines is old. You should get the latest here:
https://github.com/bas080/vines/

vicscandl

by vicscandl » Post

@VanessaE: if its not already, perhaps posting this example to the modding help forum... just a thought

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

i looked at the code and not sure about somethings but i think i understand what was changed. instead of growing on the ground it grows from the trees only. when i tested it almost all the ground vines got killed but some popped up on the trees. that's pretty nice.

updated the modpack with the vines, also the modpack.txt is in there. tested it out and i added the blank file correctly lol.

Download: Nature Pack Controlled

Qaddosh

by Qaddosh » Post

Nevermind, I simply extracted the mod files again, and it works now. I must have missed a sub-component somewhere the first time around. Don't know how I did that, but it works now.
Last edited by Qaddosh on Mon Jul 30, 2012 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I've made a new, better version of Flowers with modern functions and hopefully less CPU usage. However, it does not work with the old nature pack because some mods therein use a function to spawn with that no longer exists. See My post in the flowers thread for details.

The affected mods in Nature Pack have to be tweaked accordingly. I believe I have done this now. Here are the replacements for all three:

Flowers Download: https://github.com/VanessaE/flowers/zipball/master
...or browse the code: https://github.com/VanessaE/flowers
Irontrees Download: https://github.com/VanessaE/irontrees/zipball/master
...or browse the code: https://github.com/VanessaE/irontrees
Bushes Download: https://github.com/VanessaE/bushes/zipball/master
...or browse the code: https://github.com/VanessaE/bushes

Or just download the whole revised modpack in one shot, with the above fixes in place:
http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa ... 120731.zip

Note that the bushes mod no longer spawns jungle grass, because my junglegrass mod is already included with Nature Pack Controlled, so the code in bushes isn't needed anymore.

I take no credit for any part of the modpack or the mods therein, save for my changes, which are all under the WTFPL.
Last edited by VanessaE on Tue Jul 31, 2012 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

Spots

by Spots » Post

i d/l'ed and installed the one in your link but i keep getting
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: C:\Users\Main\Desktop\New Install MT\minetest-0.4.1-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\nature_pack_controlled\bushes\init.lua:
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: ...minetest\nature_pack_controlled\junglegrass\init.lua:35: bad argument #1 to 'ipairs' (table expected, got number)
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'ipairs'
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: ...minetest\nature_pack_controlled\junglegrass\init.lua:35: in function 'spawn_on_surfaces'
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: ...mods\minetest\nature_pack_controlled\bushes\init.lua:39: in main chunk
21:00:32: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
any ideas?

Spots

by Spots » Post

working like a champ great job thanks !!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Excellent :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Now what's needed next is that the "nature" mod needs a little tweaking. Trees grow too tall IMHO and something associated with "nature" is very very slow, but I can't be sure what exactly (except I'm certain it isn't anything I changed :-) ).
Last edited by VanessaE on Tue Jul 31, 2012 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

VanessaE wrote:Now what's needed next is that the "nature" mod needs a little tweaking. Trees grow too tall IMHO and something associated with "nature" is very very slow, but I can't be sure what exactly (except I'm certain it isn't anything I changed :-) ).
In the edits i made you can easily modify the height. If you lower the chance of growing that might make it slower.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

lemme rephrase that, by "slow" I meant CPU-hungry, causing bad lags in singleplayer mode.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Got rid of all the *.git* and *~ files.
Download: http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa ... 120731.zip

Spots

by Spots » Post

okay so i notice that you get tons of blossoms is there a mod that uses them so i dont have to leave them laying all over the place i did scan this section but didnt see anything

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I have no idea actually. Usually I just collect them and discard them in one location I've designated as "garbage".