[Generic MOD] AnimalMaterials - Version 0.0.7

sapier
Developer

[Generic MOD] AnimalMaterials - Version 0.0.7

by sapier » Post

As celeron suggested http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=882 I'm going to create a material only mod for animals and other mods willing to add recieps for this matierials too. This mod won't contain any recieps or active code but only item/node definitions.
As not all materials do exist atm I'm asking for suggestions what this mod shall contain or not contain.

Current Version 0.0.7

License: Do whatever you want!

Current Materials included are:

Nodes:
  • wool_white
  • wool_grey
  • wool_brown
  • wool_black
  • wool_yellow (TODO)
  • wool_red (TODO)
  • wool_violet (TODO)
  • wool_blue (TODO)
  • wool_green(TODO)
  • wool_orange(TODO)
Items:
  • raw_meat
  • raw_meat_pork (TODO)
  • raw_meat_sheep (TODO)
  • raw_meat_beef (TODO)
  • raw_meat_deer (TODO)
  • horn (TODO)
  • fur (TODO)
  • bone
  • egg
  • egg_big
  • feather
  • scale_white
  • scale_grey
  • scale_blue
  • scale_golden
Last edited by sapier on Mon Apr 30, 2012 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Add eggs and feathers also.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I would also suggest you to split animals mod to 3: library (API), friendly mobs, aggressive mobs.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@neko259 spliting friendly and unfriendly mobs won't make any sense as it would be 90% code duplication. A split in three parts is already planed but it will be: Materials,AnimalDefinitions,Engine.
Engine itself already contains different components, user will be able to replace each of it when defining an animal (if his replacement suits the api required for each component). Combat for example doesn't have much external dependencys.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

spliting friendly and unfriendly mobs won't make any sense as it would be 90% code duplication
It make sense for the players that want animals but don't want to die every night. You can do that in one mod but implement some setting that toggles unfriendly mobs.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Ok I misunderstood what you were trying to tell me. You were talking about splitting the "AnimalDefinitions" part further. That's a good idea, I'm going to split it down to animal level eg mods animal_sheep animal_cow animal_deer ...
Last edited by sapier on Mon Jan 30, 2012 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I'm going to split it down to animal level eg mods animal_sheep animal_cow animal_deer ...
Does minetest have a constraint on mod count? Maybe so many mods will be too much...

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

There used to be the limit of ~30 (because of a bug with Lua stack handling), but not anymore. Number of registered nodes, items, ABMs etc. is more important.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Will there be dedicated threads for mods? Or it can't be done in the engine for now?

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

I don't know. First of all, Lua wasn't written with thread safety in mind (and there are no thread or synchronization / locking primitives in the stdlib, so an API for them would have to be designed from scratch). Also, thread safety is hard, there's enough of that stuff on the C++ side already. What do you want to use threads for?

neko259

by neko259 » Post

kahrl wrote:I don't know. First of all, Lua wasn't written with thread safety in mind (and there are no thread or synchronization / locking primitives in the stdlib, so an API for them would have to be designed from scratch). Also, thread safety is hard, there's enough of that stuff on the C++ side already. What do you want to use threads for?
Well, most servers have at least 2 CPUs. I would be nice if minetest be more parallel.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

having multiple threads handling different entities would be great but adding thread safety is lots of work and this of topic in this thread too so let's get back to origin ;-)

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

If one has the Animals 0.9.9 mod, would they need this mod too or is the stuff in this mod also in the animals mod?
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

no animals doesn't contain those materials anymore and it doesn't contain animals as of 0.9.11 too. All animals got extracted to separate mods enabling user to remove those he/she doesn't like.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

When will you add new wool texture? I'm going to make dyes mod to make the wool colored.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

next animals mod will contain the colors listed, if you want other colors in this mod too please make suggestions.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I want to make it possible to combine flowers with wool to get flower color in it. All the rainbow colors :)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Can you add wool of all colors in this mod? They can be not obtainable, I just need them or I'll have to implement mine and it won't be very comfortable to have different colors in different mods.

Sorry for spam :)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

can you be a little bit more precise about "all"? ;-)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Yellow, red, violet, blue, green, orange. These are the colors I can make from flowers and cactus. Grey and black wool can be made with coal. Brown wool... maybe make dyes from dirt? At last in will be useful :D

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

Brown wool... maybe make from tree ?

neko259

by neko259 » Post

rinoux wrote:Brown wool... maybe make from tree ?
Tree already makes wood. Maybe I'll have to make some item to combine with other items to make dyes, not just from flowers.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

probably adding some kind of furnacelike object "mill" might be a solution ... ok not exactly furnace as a mill wouldn't need fuel
Last edited by sapier on Fri Feb 03, 2012 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

sapier wrote:probably adding some kind of furnacelike object "mill" might be a solution ... ok not exactly furnace as a mill wouldn't need fuel
Mill needs some kind of power too. I think when luafurnace will be finished, we would make a mill powered with mesecons.

Scott

by Scott » Post

how do i get cotton?
ubuntu would be #1, without unity