[Mod] growing trees [0.0.9] [growing_trees]

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

4aiman: any element of growing trees is already a special nodes they just drop default nodes if you dig them in order to avoid bloating up game by differend sorts of wood
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Testing this mod right now.
Love it so far!

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

I'm using minetest 0.4.9, and growing_trees 0.0.9
I have been running growing_trees in a world for a perhaps 5 hours in real time (whatever that is in minetest time). However the world now seems to have developed a glitch. This only occurs when the growing_trees.mod is enabled, and can be resolved by disabling growing trees (which unfortunately leaves tree-shaped blocks of unknown nodes around the place)
The first thing is minetest never(?) exits, but sits with a 'shutting down stuff' message which is present much longer than my patience (>10mins).
It has also caused the world borders to get severely restricted to a very small area around the spawn point (perhaps a few hundred nodes in each direction x,y,z with extensions around the trees, and I can't move past that initial boundary. Within that space are a few (probably) maximally sized growing trees. If I turn off the _trees I can go where there are none, exit normally, enable _trees, restart (where there are no trees), and come back, I can travel in and out of the zone normally with no apparent restrictions on world size.
The space changes exact nodes, but are roughly similar in size. The jpg shows the edges of the world, I am at maximal flying height pressed against one of the invisible 'walls' (ie it won't let me fly any higher or further away)
Last edited by dgm5555 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

bajanhgk
In-game: bajanhgk

by bajanhgk » Post

a tree which i can do a house treehouse style
Last edited by bajanhgk on Thu Apr 17, 2014 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Loner In the Winds which Blow Endlessly towards Death

sapier
Developer

Re: [Mod] growing trees [0.0.9] [growing_trees]

by sapier » Post

dgm5555 do I understand correct that your problem is your world stops loading and you can't close minetest once this happens?

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

@sapier: yes - it essentially freezes the world and won't draw or allow access beyond those limited boundaries (but works fine within the boundary). If you disabled the trees then moved elsewhere it reocurred when you re-enabled them and returned to that location (or similar with some growing trees in it). Minetest also never shut down when attempting to exit.
Just a thought: I never tried teleporting out to see what happened, I'll give it a go sometime...

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

sounds like some sort of endless loop triggered, sorry but I didn't have time to check yet

Zeppelin

by Zeppelin » Post

sapier wrote:sounds like some sort of endless loop triggered, sorry but I didn't have time to check yet
i've checked the source and found something, that worked for me:

file branch_functions.lua line 145:

Code: Select all

if not contains(branch,value) and
does'nt work like expected and so i replaced it with the following line ...

if not contains_pos(branch,value) and
... and wrote a new function to do the right check:

function contains_pos(branch, value)
  for _, element in pairs(branch) do
    growing_trees_debug("verbose","Growing_Trees: testing " .. printpos(value) .. "(" .. dump(value) .. ") vs " .. printpos(element) .. " evals " .. dump((printpos(value) == printpos(element))))
    if printpos(value) == printpos(element) then
      return true
    end
  end
  return false
end
sorry for reactivating this old thread

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

:default:tree
you could always overide the default trees to become the new trees

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Zeppelin wrote:i've checked the source and found something, that worked for me:
Thanks I'll give it a try thou haven't used minetest much recently. I've always been a bit sad growing trees didn't work for larger worlds.

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Cool, with a quick test it seems that it's not freezing like it used to.
However while watching them, I noticed the leaf nodes appear and disappear every few seconds, so the tree looks a bit like christmas lights blinking. Is there any way to change this so they only appear and disappear slowly like a normal tree?
EDIT: looks like that can be adjusted in abms.lua at then end is the growing and removing leaves which I think is better slowed down. from line 272,273 I changed to:-

interval = 25,
        chance = 60,
I also didn't like the default trunk texture which meant the ends of branches looked like they'd been cut off, so I edited lines 16-23 in nodes.lua to eliminate the _top texture:

local textures_trunk = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_xx = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_zz = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_xpzp = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_xmzm = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_xmzp = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png"}
local textures_branch_xpzm = {"default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png", "default_tree.png", "default_tree.png","default_tree.png"}

Zeppelin

by Zeppelin » Post

dgm5555 wrote:Cool, with a quick test it seems that it's not freezing like it used to.
good to know

is it possible to update the repository or have someone to fork it?

Murkle

by Murkle » Post

This is a Great mod so far, I do want to know if I increase the growth rate, if so, how do I do so?
-Murkle

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Do you still work on it?

If yes, I have 2 bugs:
WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "current_node" accessed at ...\mods\growing_trees/branch_functions.lua:287

and some nodes (looks like leaves) from the tree does not decay and are not burnable.

Kreaton
IRC: Kreatons Kreaton
In-game: Kreaton Kreatons

by Kreaton » Post

What do I do when this happens, I've got no idea what any of this means.
http://imgur.com/a/V2bQS
Kreaton: accusative singular present nominal passive participle of krei

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Kreaton wrote:What do I do when this happens, I've got no idea what any of this means.
http://imgur.com/a/V2bQS
You must name the folder "growing_trees", not "growingtrees".

Also note that this mod is quite old. It's not guaranteed to work. If it doesn't, read the other posts and try the proposed changes if you haven't already done so.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I've just pushed latest code to github and added your fixes. I haven't tested it by now but I intend to fix at least all issues related to "recent" minetest changes.
Feel free to write issues on github if you encounter bugs:

https://github.com/sapier/growing_trees

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Some Days ago I also started to fix some bugs with this mod:
https://bitbucket.org/kingarthursteam/g ... ommits/all
If you want, you can use this codebase, it would save you some hours of work ;-)