Minetest2D - A small sandbox game

LordStephen77

Minetest2D - A small sandbox game

by LordStephen77 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07

Hello everyone!

DreamBlocks - Beyond of Time is a small sandbox game inspired by the original Minetest Engine but in a platform game style.

The game is written in Java.

If any of you is a Java programmer and wants to collaborate on my project is welcome!

I accept useful tips and suggestions. If you want to collaborate on this project you are free to do so!

The game is released on Github under GPL-3.0 license

New Repository:

https://github.com/DreamBlocks

A thank you to all those who will decide to help me improve my knowledge. I'm waiting for your answer.
Last edited by LordStephen77 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 17:23, edited 11 times in total.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: Minetest2D - A small sandbox game

by texmex » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:39

This is cool. I'm no Java coder, but I do know that your posts need screenshots. Good luck with the project!
Taking a break from Minetest.
Mods Commons, Sling, hbSprint, Floodables, item_drop⑂, Telemosaic⑂, Herbs⑂.
Texturepacks Good Morning Craft

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 14:04

how do i run this?

also i'm interested in helping with textures
i'm the co-dev and lead artist of farlands

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 18:11

toby109tt wrote:how do i run this?

also i'm interested in helping with textures

I hoped that there could be some manual or at least a short guide about compiling or running the game.
I would like to help with this proyect too.
Noahide with faith in G*d. | Nik Euskaraz ditz egiten dut. | Hablo Español.

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 20:49

texmex

I will be writing instructions for compiling and configuring the project in Eclipse, IntelliJ, Netbeans (Eclipse recommended). It will also include the executable .jat file that can be started on all operating systems. A small official website will be released when I first released the Beta Release.

Toby

I've seen your texturepack for Minetest. Your help is very valuable! I can only devote myself to code and the implementation of new features in the game. Thank you.

MineYoshi

Public tomorrow an alpha version of the project (many bugs that will be described) so you can see the first stage of the game. But the new version rewritten with the new libGDX libraries will be available for days (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Andoid, iOS). Thanks, everyone can help. Even the simplest things are useful for the project and its improvement.

As I wrote above, I am working to integrate the project with libGDX libraries. I also found mini2Dx a libGDX specific fork to develop 2D games that includes extremely useful features and further simplifies development (a libGDX wrapper that excludes all the complex phases of game logic design).

Public tomorrow is a project changelog and I also include screenshots of the project at the current state.

For textures I use those of Minetest Game, but I'm going to change them to implement a more 8-bit texturepack than I like.

Now convert all code using libGDX. So far I have not had any problems, this framework is very easy and documented very well.

Anyone can collaborate, I'm happy to receive help. Thank you all.

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 22:52

I know you say you want to keep this simple but you should really think about this this is a big opportunity for a free open source 2D sandbox game (there isn't any good one out there at the moment) Maybe you can Change that just sayin :)

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 22:53

For textures I use those of Minetest Game, but I'm going to change them to implement a more 8-bit texturepack than I like.

Can I help with that

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 22:56

toby109tt wrote:

Can I help with that

Me too.
Noahide with faith in G*d. | Nik Euskaraz ditz egiten dut. | Hablo Español.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 23:01

I suggest renaming this, as Minetest2D implies it's official

Nice work though

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 23:27

Thanks Ruben! You are one of the official developers of Minetest (C++ Programmer), it's nice to see that you've commented on the work of a beginner like me. Thank you so much I am glad you like it.

I wrote in the README.md file on github that this is a small game engine 2d inspired by Minetest (I've added the link to the Minetest site and all the references).

Toby - I have to finish converting the code to the new library (FXGL) at the time the game renders awt the standard Java library, which is not manageable and unsuitable for a game. With the new javafx library that simplifies development and dramatically improves graphics capabilities. When I finish converting the core core, send the commit on github, create the build and try it. The textures I use now are few, the project is in the early stages, so decide on the graphic style, you're much better than me, I'm happy to have you as a graphic for the project.

MineYoshi - Happy you like the project. You can send me suggestions, ideas, and everything you think you can do to collaborate on the project. I will be happy to answer you. Thank you for your support.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Jun 11, 2017 14:07

looks vey cool, but it would be even better if we didn't have to compile it!

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 20:09

azekill_DIABLO wrote:looks vey cool, but it would be even better if we didn't have to compile it!

This project will undergo significant improvements in the coming days. I did not distribute the game's executable because this is an old version I'm working on to rewrite almost all of the code and make it better. What you see in screenshots is just a prototype! I now implement the project in a library to develop games, I've almost finished all of the graphics management (render) work now on small algorithms I've written to implement physics, particles effects, collisions, and inventory systems.

I followed rubenwardy board, the game will have a different name, and an improved style. A halfway between Minetest and Terraria. It will be possible to build homes by applying the walls and furnishings. The framework community I used helped me understand how to do this. As soon as I have a working alpha version I will make it available on github with all the jar executables for each release i will release (including changelog and docs).

This is a project that has a lot of fun, I work when I have free time, and I'm going to make it special and accessible to anyone on any device (including Android and iOS).

Thanks for your interest!

azekill_DIABLO

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 17:53

Azekill thank you. I almost finished converting the project to the new framework. I will soon publish new screenshots on github, follow the project in the official repository. I am also working on the official website of the project (simple but effective). Thanks a lot, I put all the passion I own, you give me advice on what you like the most.

New Repository
https://github.com/DreamBlocks
Last edited by LordStephen77 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 17:23, edited 2 times in total.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:25

Awesome! and about the site? i need to do some CSS and html is cool too!

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:20

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Awesome! and about the site? i need to do some CSS and html is cool too!

Yes. The small official web site will publish it with the github system for convenience. It's very simple at the beginning and it will include project features, screenshots, and changelog of releasing versions. Over time I will improve everything. Developing a game requires so much effort and attention, especially at the beginning.

I'm glad you like my project. If you want, you can participate in creating graphic content, videos on youtube, wiki, anything useful for the project. Thank you.

azekill_DIABLO

GamingAssociation39

GitHub: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 04:37

azekill_DIABLO wrote:i wanna do the site :)

And I can help out if you want. azekill_DIABLO

GamingAssociation39

GitHub: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 04:39

So is it gonna b exactly like Minetest? Would you b adding anything like redstone and additional crops/plants?
Last edited by GamingAssociation39 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 22:51

GamingAssociation39 wrote:So is it gonna b exactly like Minetest? Would you b adding anything like redstone and additional crops/plants?

Hi, sorry but I have not been here for days. I'm going to create a different game from Minetest, in 2D, which has the same basic structure but adds new features. On github you can see and try the first pre-alpha version. If you want to contribute find a discussion in the github repository (issues) if you want to ask me questions and requests. Thank you.

Xudo

GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 17:34

@LordStephen77 This project looks promising.
I suggest you to familiarize yourself with maven. If you make maven project, you wouldn't need to care about differences between Eclipse, Netbeans and IntellijIdea

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 17:28

Xudo wrote:@LordStephen77 This project looks promising.
I suggest you to familiarize yourself with maven. If you make maven project, you wouldn't need to care about differences between Eclipse, Netbeans and IntellijIdea

We implemented Gradle. This will make the project easier to manage over time. Maven I like is like Gradle, but I have never used it. That's why I decided to use Gradle, although I'm going to have to get familiar with this system.

We have just opened today the official organization on github, the project is licensed under GPL 3.0.

DreamBlocks is a totally open source project! It's everyone, and everyone can use it to learn, improve it, and as a study material.

Thanks friend :)

v-rob

by v-rob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 18:00

If this is a 2d game, then why do you have a blue 3d block on the GitHub page? I was just wondering...

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 19:14

v-rob wrote:If this is a 2d game, then why do you have a blue 3d block on the GitHub page? I was just wondering...

Is the provisional logo. In the game there are however cubes, but square (2d) but the concept is similar to Minetest. I do not see what's strange. The new logo is under construction. Thank you.

Next

Return to Minetest-related projects