Is Voxelands dead?

Danfun64

Is Voxelands dead?

by Danfun64 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 21:49

As of this writing, there hasn't been a new Win32 release in about a year, there hasn't been any new activity in the Voxelands Gitlab in three months, and the Voxelands website is down. Is the Voxelands project dead?

voxelproof

Re: Is Voxelands dead?

by voxelproof » Tue Jul 10, 2018 14:39

Danfun64 wrote:As of this writing, there hasn't been a new Win32 release in about a year, there hasn't been any new activity in the Voxelands Gitlab in three months, and the Voxelands website is down. Is the Voxelands project dead?

Yes, obviously it's dead. I've been waiting for the win build too checking the forum from time to time. Probably some serious technical issues caused the project to be abandoned which is understandable given there was apparently only single active developer left.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

cHyper

GitHub: cHyper-0815OL
IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 19:50

The wiki, webpage, github seems to be offline?
What did darkrose as admin and developer do?
Lets renew all and restart the project, this should be done, because the game is great and should not be dead?!!

cu cHyper

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 06:28

Danfun64 wrote:As of this writing, there hasn't been a new Win32 release in about a year, there hasn't been any new activity in the Voxelands Gitlab in three months, and the Voxelands website is down. Is the Voxelands project dead?

It was pretty much dead from the beginning on because it always used an outdated Minetest version to build on and that was never changed. It had some nice ideas but the effort should have been put in a game for Minetest, and not in a fork that combines the Minetest engine and a Minetest game into one thing.

cHyper wrote:Lets renew all and restart the project, ...

... as a Minetest game. Yes. That would be awesome. Current Minetest engine features with Voxelands gameplay and I'm all in!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Fri Jul 13, 2018 14:35

Linuxdirk wrote:
cHyper wrote:Lets renew all and restart the project, ...

... as a Minetest game. Yes. That would be awesome. Current Minetest engine features with Voxelands gameplay and I'm all in!

Good idea.

cHyper

by cHyper » Fri Jul 20, 2018 20:30

https://www.chyper.at/voxelands/

is a page @ my blog with infos, etc and the latest win-build-32bit-downloadlink and a couple of pictures belongs to the game. i hope that somebody must recreate the homepage and continue that good game. a win-developer was not found in the former months. but i do not know why the webpage and all the wiki is currently offline. i like the game very much.

cHyper

by cHyper » Fri Jul 20, 2018 20:44

https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-on-19874681

the domain just expired by not paying the money.
here are the statements posted by patreon:

The website is currently down as the domain has expired and I don't currently have the money to renew it.
The Patreon money only covers the server costs, so everything is still up, there's just no domain to access it; the gameservers can still be found at 106.187.103.195.
If all goes well, I should be able to renew the domain next week, and everything will be back as it was.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sat Jul 21, 2018 17:50

cHyper wrote:https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-on-19874681

The website is currently down as the domain has expired and I don't currently have the money to renew it.
The Patreon money only covers the server costs, so everything is still up, there's just no domain to access it; the gameservers can still be found at 106.187.103.195.
If all goes well, I should be able to renew the domain next week, and everything will be back as it was.

Great news, I'm still holding my tp for Voxelands waiting for the updated version of this extremely nice, retro-styled and somehow strangely captivating game :)

cHyper

by cHyper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 08:48

voxelproof wrote:
cHyper wrote:https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-on-19874681

Great news, I'm still holding my tp for Voxelands waiting for the updated version of this extremely nice, retro-styled and somehow strangely captivating game :)

please share your tp for the community. i hope that there will be a windows build for the latest update of the game.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Wed Jul 25, 2018 16:26

cHyper wrote:please share your tp for the community. i hope that there will be a windows build for the latest update of the game.

Since TP Sunny is an evolutionary descendant of my Voxelands experiments I'm going to release it along with the tp being developed exclusively for Minetest Game and some MT mods. And, I'd forget -- there're confirmed rumours about the finally upcoming release of the world-famous Super Duper Graphics Pack, so let's see how it looks like to make the best of it ;)

cHyper

by cHyper » Thu Jul 26, 2018 15:23

Well, that's the end of that.

Jul 25 at 7:09pm
I've decided to just let Voxelands die, it was fun while it lasted, but it's just become a chore lately.

I'm still working on other games, one of which 'The Void' will be available on itch.io soonish.

So thanks for all your help, if you'd like to keep supporting me you can do so here or at my personal patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/TicklishHoneyBee

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Thu Jul 26, 2018 15:38

cHyper wrote:Well, that's the end of that.
I've decided to just let Voxelands die, it was fun while it lasted, but it's just become a chore lately.

I'm still working on other games, one of which 'The Void' will be available on itch.io soonish.

So thanks for all your help, if you'd like to keep supporting me you can do so here or at my personal patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/TicklishHoneyBee

So sad. This cute little game certainly didn't deserve such cruel fate. Let it rest in Voxelvalhalla.

Return to Minetest-related projects