sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: WorldPainter support?

by sofar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 18:50

GreenDimond wrote:I shall edit.

This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Wed Jun 28, 2017 18:55

sofar wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:I shall edit.

This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.

True. I have edited it so it is not incoherent.
My YuTube channel | I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. | Click here to see my (5) mods!

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Jun 28, 2017 19:01

sofar wrote:This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.

I'm starting to think most people stop reading threads after the first page, and try to start a new thread, related to ask questions of for help, anyway. :P
I'm not your buddy, guy...

Codesound

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 21:45

Captain Chaos: are you still working on this project? Some people are still interested :)

TumeniNodes and Voxelproof have drawn my attention to this thread because I'm currently working on a project that has some similarities with World Painter.

It's a program that generates Minetest worlds from GeoTiff images, you can find it here: geo-mapgen. It does not generate the Minetest world directly like World Painter, it acts in 2 steps. First, a standalone Python program converts the image(s) into a binary data file (heightmap.dat). Then this file is interpreted by the mapgen.
The format for the heightmap.dat was first designed to handle only topographic data, but it now supports biomes. So I'm wondering if World Painter could export into this format, which is basically a set of tiled arrays with zlib compression, should not be too difficult to generate.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.

Samson1

IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 02:39

Nice! I am a big fan of WorldPainter! I can't speak on the technical side but I can say that WorldPainter would be brillient and splended for server hosters. I do hope you are still working on the project, If so, good luck!

I'm a tad late to the thread aren't I?

Captain_Chaos

GitHub: Captain-Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Thu May 17, 2018 10:15

It was brought to my attention that the plugin had gone. This was caused by the server crash that ate the WorldPainter website at the end of last year. I've updated the plugin and it's now back! See the first post for details. You can now use the latest WorldPainter version instead of having to use a snapshot. If you already have the plugin you'll have to re-download it and copy it over the version currently in your plugins folder, as WorldPainter won't load the old plugin.

Please note that I haven't tested whether the plugin actually still works. ;) Please test it and let me know!

Captain_Chaos

GitHub: Captain-Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25

Gael de Sailly wrote:Captain Chaos: are you still working on this project? Some people are still interested :)

"Working" is too big a word, but it is not dead. ;) If you have feature requests, let me know!

Gael de Sailly wrote:So I'm wondering if World Painter could export into this format, which is basically a set of tiled arrays with zlib compression, should not be too difficult to generate.

I don't think that would make too much sense, as WorldPainter creates fully 3D maps, with caves, bodies of water or lava, trees and other vegetation, etc.. You could use WorldPainter as a height map designer though, as WorldPainter can export the world as an 8-bit or 16-bit height map (File -> Export).
Last edited by Captain_Chaos on Thu May 17, 2018 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

twoelk

GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: WorldPainter support!

by twoelk » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56

uhm, but worldpainter can load hight maps or so it could when I used it to create mc maps long ago.
simple pixel images as hightmaps iirc with weird results sometimes
don't know how difficult loading GeoTiff images would be

hadn't noticed there was a newer version than I had
so
offffffffff to the next crash tests :-D

Kroukuk

In-game: Kroukuk

Re: [Tool] WorldPainter plugin

by Kroukuk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23

Hello
I get this error when trying to export a minetest world
Code: Select all
[2018-09-13 12:04:49,189] {ERROR } (  o.p.worldpainter.ErrorDialog) ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldPainterChunkFactory.<init>(WorldPainterChunkFactory.java:37)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.parallelExportRegions(AbstractWorldExporter.java:220)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestWorldExporter.export(MinetestWorldExporter.java:61)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:138)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:125)
   at org.pepsoft.util.swing.MultiProgressComponent$1.run(MultiProgressComponent.java:91)
[2018-09-13 12:04:49,191] {ERROR } (  o.p.worldpainter.ErrorDialog) java.lang.ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldPainterChunkFactory.<init>(WorldPainterChunkFactory.java:37)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.parallelExportRegions(AbstractWorldExporter.java:220)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestWorldExporter.export(MinetestWorldExporter.java:61)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:138)
   at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:125)

Does anyone know what the reason could be? I have Java installed, but is there something else I need?

Previous

Return to Minetest-related projects