Search Minetest mods!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Search Minetest mods!

by rubenwardy » Post

The mod store is at http://forum.minetest.net/mmdb but it is currently broken due to issues with the forum.minetest.net database. The main develeper, iqualfragile, will do it soon now he knows what the problem is. (The problem doesn't affect viewing, only the adding or editing or commenting.)

It would be very useful to have a bot to extract the mod name, title, licence, description, GitHub or repo and download from the forum.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Update!

Download and source links are now shown if the mod is contained in Mod Releases.
Last edited by Krock on Tue Jul 10, 2018 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2015-02-16#i_4157203

This is not a proper JSON file but bots should be able to read it.
If wanted, I can include a "view source" and "download" link if available.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

If you search "Random" with a blank search feild you get this:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined function connect() in /var/customers/webs/nimg/MTstuff/modSearch.php on line 78 Call Stack: 0.0008 308720 1. {main}() /var/customers/webs/nimg/MTstuff/modSearch.php:0

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Napiophelios wrote:<snip>
Thanks for the report. The random function works correctly again.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Some news:
I had some free time to improve the style of the search results.
There are now tag-boxes to describe the mod type.
Including small avatars in the page is a pilot try.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It would be great if your mod could become the foundation of a new version of the MMDB. All that would have to be added for mods in order to make it usable in that regard would be small screenshots, a description (suggesting the first paragraph of the forum post might work as a default, provided it can be edited) and categories (sadly, more work).

Thanks for your search page! And: When will it finally get linked prominently in the forum? After all modding is one of the major features of the game. Forum moderators, please edit the offered forum themes and add a nice link to that page!
A list of my mods can be found here.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Sokomine wrote:It would be great if your mod could become the foundation of a new version of the MMDB.
Creating a mod database is a great thing but the archive and screenshot uploading would "flood" the server with files. Honestly, I prefer to use that top-quality website server space for lightweight scripts and HTML files.
What I could do is to index the new MMDB mods and add those to the list.

Thanks for your enthusiasm for this project, I like to see people using this service.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'm interested in using the parser to bulk import loads of mods from the forum into MMDB. There'll need to be a lot of checking - making sure that the descriptions are right, etc.

Hello profile reader

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Krock wrote: Creating a mod database is a great thing but the archive and screenshot uploading would "flood" the server with files.
The archives are to remain as download links and ought to come from their download site. And screenshots ought to be tiny so that it doesn't take eternity to search for mods ingame. But I can understand if you don't want too much traffic. If the script will be used for importing data into MMDB, that'll be fine as well.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Storage space isn't much of a problem, it's cheap. "Search Minetest mods!" would only be used as a crawler to import existing mods into MMDB, from then on it will just be plain mmdb.

Hello profile reader

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

What about parsing for github (or the like) links in mods forums. Then the git sites can host and supply the bandwidth. Just come up with some sort of "spec file" and thumbnail image format to be included in the topdir of the repo.
Then use curl to retrieve the spec and thumnail with "raw" URL.
Fictional example:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/modmaker/nameofmod/master/specfile.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/modmaker/nameofmod/master/thumbnail.png
For display in the Minetest Client.
Then if the user wants to install, grab the package with curl and install.
Fictional package:

https://github.com/modmaker/nameofmod/archive/master.zip

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Iqualfragile's logic is that comments and reviews are related to a specific version, and making the modders upload and release new versions can keep track of this. Mmdb will eventually gain support of getting the mod from URLs such as gh, but you'll still have to release new versions.

Hello profile reader

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

rubenwardy wrote: Iqualfragile's logic is that comments and reviews are related to a specific version, and making the modders upload and release new versions can keep track of this. Mmdb will eventually gain support of getting the mod from URLs such as gh, but you'll still have to release new versions.
That's ok in general, but not very appliciable to mods. Most mods tend to be rolling releases. Even if it boils down to do a single click in MMDB to update the version, people will most of the time be too lazy to do it or simply forget. That's the problem.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Sokomine wrote:I've tried to sort mods into categories on the Wiki, but doing so manually was so much work (tedious cut&paste) that I gave up.
This strikes me as a problem. Wikis are useful things, and Minetest has two good ones. Why not use them to full effect? Categorizing things on a wiki is supposed to be as simple as adding "[[Category:SomeCategory]]". When it's not, it is because someone's trying to misuse the wiki by manually formatting things using explicit, manual metadata (e.g. a block of summary info) or trying to aggregate data elsewhere (e.g. a table in another article). Both things are valid to do, but should be backed by convenient and maintainable wiki mechanisms, such as templates and (if absolutely necessary) plugins.

I agree that adding mods to the current wiki List of Mods is a little tedious and also not visible enough to the community, but for exactly the above reasons. If we made better use of categories and templates, it should make things a lot more tolerable and useful. For example, the table shouldn't have to be maintained explicitly at all, and the "Mod Data" template shouldn't take manual inputs that are handled by other wiki mechanisms, like categories ("type").

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

ExeterDad wrote:What about parsing for github (or the like) links in mods forums. Then the git sites can host and supply the bandwidth. Just come up with some sort of "spec file" and thumbnail image format to be included in the topdir of the repo.
About adding GitHub projects to the index
That's a good idea but you know, GitHub hosts a huge amount of projects. Just a tiny part of them are for Minetest.
Using the GitHub profile link from the users profiles might be an idea to start with. The files depends.txt and init.lua (and the textures directory) are characteristics of a Minetest mod.
Sadly, there are also wrong formatted mods, with a "somemod" directory and inside the mod files, or outdated/broken mods.

Fetching data from GitHub
Yes, I could provide a link to a screenshot/thumbnail image or even the dependencies. To reach this, there is be some work required to extend all the repositories. I will see what I can do.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Krock I'm sorry. I really shouldn't of posted that brainstorm in your thread. It was meant as a alternative to a host for mod storage. Another method for the Minetest client to locate/download and install mods from within the client.

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

I search Author * Twoelk and got this:

Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 9 in /var/customers/webs/nimg/MTstuff/modSearch.php on line 171 Call Stack: 0.0012 312888 1. {main}() /var/customers/webs/nimg/MTstuff/modSearch.php:0 0.0282 338272 2. mysql_result() /var/customers/webs/nimg/MTstuff/modSearch.php:171 
Only happens when searching for an author that doesnt exist?

and while searching 'old mods' and ' * '

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Napiophelios wrote:Only happens when searching for an author that doesnt exist?
Exactly. Thanks for reporting, it's fixed now.

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

Tis a sad day...the Search Minetest mods! page is gone

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Website Update

There was an URL redirect to the new page for two months now.
However, not everybody has the new link in the history.

The new address: http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

This website movement is a result of the discontinued free webhosting plans of PHP-Friends.
Until now there were no big problems with the new page. When you found a bug - don't keep it. Report instead.
All API files have the same names as before on the new server. MinetestBot in the official IRC channel was updated too.

K1ck
GitHub: k1ckcyph3r

by K1ck » Post

Krock, very nice...thanks for this!

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Could you please add support for git hosting on bitbucket? It seems your bot does not find the download links in my threads.
Related: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14280#p231851

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

addi wrote:Could you please add support for git hosting on bitbucket?
Yes sure. Added bitbucket and updated most of the mods on this forum.
Your mods have now source and download links too: http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/mod ... t=0&q=addi
https://github.com/SmallJoker/ModIndexer/issues/1

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Thanks a lot