[1.0.0]Tide - Mod editor

ashenk69

[1.0.0]Tide - Mod editor

by ashenk69 » Post

Hey everyone, most probably won't know who I am, whatever. Hello.

I wanted to work on something for the Minetest community that could also be a good learning tool for me as well as something that could be useful. I am aware that there are a couple of projects to aid in mod editing and I wanted to create my version of a mod editor.

Code base - Qt
Version control - Github

Builds:
Windows 32 bit
Windows 64 bit

Source Code:
Previous Versions

Expected features
  • Basic file handling(New, Open, Save)
  • Project handling
Attachments
Tide_main_sm.PNG
Tide_main_sm.PNG (11.67 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Last edited by ashenk69 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 19:59, edited 6 times in total.

ashenk69

Re: Tide - Mod editor

by ashenk69 » Post

I am not releasing details to get the editor yet, because I have not finished the project handling. When I do it will be located on Github.

I wanted to talk about how I am doing my version numbering for this project. There is a good reason I went with a 3 numbering system. The first number indicating a major release where it significantly more advanced than its predecessors. The second number is a minor release which will indicate a couple of new additions or improvements were made. Finally, the third number is used as a hotfix indicator. This will mean a serious bug fix or a group of bug fixes were introduced between the previous release.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

ashenk69 wrote:I am not releasing details to get the editor yet, because I have not finished the project handling. When I do it will be located on Github.

I wanted to talk about how I am doing my version numbering for this project. There is a good reason I went with a 3 numbering system. The first number indicating a major release where it significantly more advanced than its predecessors. The second number is a minor release which will indicate a couple of new additions or improvements were made. Finally, the third number is used as a hotfix indicator. This will mean a serious bug fix or a group of bug fixes were introduced between the previous release.
ZatherZ just released a qt based Minetest IDE.
Back from the dead!

Zatherz
GitHub: Zatherz
IRC: zatherz
In-game: Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

Evergreen wrote:
ashenk69 wrote:I am not releasing details to get the editor yet, because I have not finished the project handling. When I do it will be located on Github.

ZatherZ just released a qt based Minetest IDE.
I think he develops a mod EDITOR, not an IDE. The difference is that an editor is purely for editing, IDE speeds up development and includes some very useful features. Also, it's Zatherz, not ZatherZ. And I haven't really "released" it yet - what is in the github repo is a version I abandoned because of the code being a giant mess. I'm however rewriting it (in Qt too) with more features in mind and another UI + artwork.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Zatherz wrote:I think he develops a mod EDITOR, not an IDE. The difference is that an editor is purely for editing, IDE speeds up development and includes some very useful features. Also, it's Zatherz, not ZatherZ. And I haven't really "released" it yet - what is in the github repo is a version I abandoned because of the code being a giant mess. I'm however rewriting it (in Qt too) with more features in mind and another UI + artwork.
This will start as a basic editor for mods, but it will grow to support features that make development simpler and less of a hassle. A feature that won't be implemented for some time is an integration of Minetest's lua api. There were many functions I know I never knew about or just didn't remember. Creating something to make that information either easily retrieved or used would be a benefit to development.

If you google IDE, it brings up that it usually consists of a "source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger." We don't build the lua code for mods and we can't really do debugging either. To say I am making an IDE or an editor is really saying the same thing.

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

If you think a IDE for Minetest can only be a source code editor, then you're wrong. Horribly wrong.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Screenshots or download or it didn't happen.

I hate posts like this, they are just attention grabbing. Posts which say the author is going to do something. Sure, I have been guilty of it myself (see NBE), but I have learnt my lesson. If you want attention, then release the editor or at least provide screenshots. If you want help such as ideas, then explicitly say so.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Zatherz wrote:If you think a IDE for Minetest can only be a source code editor, then you're wrong. Horribly wrong.
I never said that it would. What extra is this (Tide) going to add outside of something another text editor might already have?
Back from the dead!

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Zatherz wrote:If you think a IDE for Minetest can only be a source code editor, then you're wrong. Horribly wrong.
I never said that it would. What extra is this (Tide) going to add outside of something another text editor might already have?
I wasn't saying that to you.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Zatherz wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
I wasn't saying that to you.
Sorry about that. :P
Back from the dead!

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

*Update
Added a screenshot to the original post of what the UI looks like currently. This will be the basic structure of the UI with the project viewing and control on the left and the code editor on the right.

I am close to finishing the features I want done for 1.0.0. There are just a few things to iron out and possibly getting some application art into it as well.

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

So it's going to be a text editor with tabbing?

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Zatherz wrote:So it's going to be a text editor with tabbing?
Initially that is essentially what it is. Besides the features defined in 1.0.0 before, the user can create a new mod and open previous ones. A new mod includes a depends.txt file and an init.lua. The "open mod" function should almost just be renamed to "open project folder", because you can open any directory and the project viewer just filters for directories, txt files, and lua files. However, most of this was covered in the feature for "Project handling."

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

*Update
1.0.0 Released.
First post will be edited as well
The repository I am using is located at github.com/metalstache/Tide. I have a master branch that has the most current live code and a development branch. For releases, I will tag the master branch based on the version number, right now 1.0.0. This will make it easy to find the most current release as well as providing a way to download previous releases.

Even though I am not providing builds yet, I know that there are people who have their systems setup properly. I am trying to get mine setup to build for Windows. However, I am having an issue getting my dll's working with it properly. If anyone could help me out with the build, I would greatly appreciate it.In the future I am planning to have builds for 32/64 bit Windows and Linux, sorry Mac I don't have one to build on.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

Re: [1.0.0]Tide - Mod editor

by Zeno » Post

I have built Qt (4 and 5) applications on Windows 7 before (including choosing the necessary .dlls for distrubution) so I may be able to help.

For **my** latest Qt5 app, I have the following dlls (I don't know what compiler you use so you'll have to adjust the libgcc and stdc related ones). Also you may not require all of these or you may require others. From memory the part that tripped me up initially was the platforms/ directory.

Code: Select all

D3DCompiler_43.dll    libGLESv2.dll        platforms (DIR)       Qt5Widgets.dll
icuuc51.dll           libstdc++-6.dll      Qt5Core.dll           Qt5Gui.dll
icudt51.dll           libEGL.dll           libwinpthread-1.dll   Qt5PrintSupport.dll
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll    mingwm10.dll         Qt5Network.dll
icuin51.dll           libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll

In platforms/  (yes this is necessary)

qminimal.dll  qwindows.dll

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Zeno wrote:I have built Qt (4 and 5) applications on Windows 7 before (including the necessary .dlls) so I may be able to help.
I actually just got the 64 bit build for Windows working. Wasn't including the libEGL.dll, but it was throwing the most indirect error. It was the "Can't find windows plugin platform error". The 32 bit build should basically just be replacing all the 64 bit dll's with the 32 bit versions.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Why cant we just use notepad++, gEdit or Kate? What are the advantages?

I suggest you allow scaffolding to be placed, for example pressing Ctrl+I and then n could insert a basic node definition at the cursors position, and moves the cursor so the next thing to type is the node name. Also allow descriptions of each function like in most IDEs.

Also, 1.0.0 usually defines the fully working version, 0.m.p is the development versions. In major.minor.patch, anyway.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

Should have posted the project file. Here is the one I used to compile:

Code: Select all

TEMPLATE = app
TARGET = tide
INCLUDEPATH += .
QT += widgets

# Input
HEADERS += filecontroller.h \
           projectcontroller.h \
           settingscontroller.h \
           tabwidget.h \
           textedit.h \
           tide.h
FORMS += tide.ui
SOURCES += filecontroller.cpp \
           main.cpp \
           projectcontroller.cpp \
           settingscontroller.cpp \
           tabwidget.cpp \
           textedit.cpp \
           tide.cpp
Some notes:
[*] In textedit.cpp, the header is referenced as TextEdit.h but the file is textedit.h. This fails on case sensitive filesystems (ext, btrfs and other).
[*] This is (at least currently) just a text editor without any syntax highlighting. I think 1.0.0 is too big of a release for just that.
[*] Attempt to doubleclick directories prints "Permission denied", while it of course should either do nothing (I think that's what is expected) or it should print that it's a directory and can't be opened. You can check if the selected index is a directory by using QFileInfo

Except all those, it's nice for the first release. If you add more features, I might have a competitor :)

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

Zatherz wrote:Should have posted the project file.
I've checked both of my branches and downloaded both the zip and tar file for 1.0.0 and there is a .pro file in each. I want to make sure the pro file is included so I want to ask how you downloaded the repository.
Zatherz wrote:[*] Attempt to doubleclick directories prints "Permission denied", while it of course should either do nothing (I think that's what is expected) or it should print that it's a directory and can't be opened. You can check if the selected index is a directory by using QFileInfo
When you were trying to open the directory from the project viewer, was this from startup or had you chosen a directory as your mod directory?

I'm probably going to be releasing a small hotfix for the textedit header import and to fix a small change with the project viewer. Thanks for taking a look at my project and giving some feedback.