kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Minetest API for ZeroBrane Studio

by kaeza » Post

Minetest Lua API Definition for ZeroBrane Studio

What?

This is a set of Lua scripts to add support for the Minetest Lua API to the ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE.

It currently supports the following APIs:
  • Core Minetest API.
How?

Unpack the archive into your zbstudio user directory (see here). Alternatively, unpack the archive into some directory and manually move the Lua scripts to their respective directories.

Once installed, restart zbstudio (if already running), and select "Minetest" from the Project > Lua Interpreter menu. Start typing `mine` and it should automatically suggest `minetest` as completion. If it worked, you can now autocomplete most of the Minetest API.

Why?

Dunno.

License
Spoiler
Copyright (C) 2015, Diego Martínez <kaeza>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
  • Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  • Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Attachments
minetest-zbstudio.zip
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Minetest API for ZeroBrane Studio

by rubenwardy » Post

Looks nice. I'd like one for Atom - how easy would it be to convert.

Btw, you say "All rights reserved" and then give away some of your rights. You should also use a real license, like CC-BY or MIT.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Looks nice. I'd like one for Atom - how easy would it be to convert.
I've already replied on IRC, but putting it here for the benefit of others.

The API definition is taken from a machine-parsable, condensed version of `lua_api.txt` I've created that is in turn converted by a (not so) simple Lua script (ldef) to the format used by zbstudio. It is possible to generate API completion lists for Atom, Geany, and other IDEs from this by writing an appropriate generator/formatter (see `ldef` repo for details).
rubenwardy wrote:You should also use a real license, like CC-BY or MIT.
Um....
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

All rights are not reserved though, you then go on to allow end users to modify etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_rights_reserved

Hello profile reader

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

If you don't want to use this, feel free to ignore it. The text will be kept as-is. You should tell that to the millions of projects on the net using the exact same wording too (because it comes, as I have pointed, from a well-known and accepted OSS license, the BSD [2 clause] License).

In any case, I request that if you want to continue this offtopic discussion we do so via PM.

wintermute
IRC: freeemint_
In-game: aulin

by wintermute » Post

Dear kaeza,

i consider it quiet an offense, that you as a moderator steal my idea and present it as your own while posting an inferior version.
But lets break my claim into parts:
  • steal my idea: I did the same Mon Jul 27, 2015, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12923
  • inferior version: I have not checked the number of entries in both our version. It is quiet possible that your version has a bigger number of elements. What really counts is that you do not have to look up what a function does, my version provides that. Handcrafted comments, when needed. I spend ~a long time~™ writing all these comments.
  • present it as your own: Copyright (C) 2015, Diego Martínez <kaeza> All rights reserved.
And what can We do about it (without bitching):
  • Not freak out about my obvious provocation, since the only intend was to stimulate a discussion between us.
  • Join our effort to improve programming for Minetest and thereby all Mods under a more open license (I favor BSD)
  • Prevent useless competition between free and non-free licenses and our products.
Try to be on IRC a lot, till the situation is resolved.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It's quite common that people have the same idea and provide similar implementations. Happened with my very first mod (bridges and handrails) as well: I later found out that Mauvebic had done a very nice, slightly diffrent implementation of the same idea long before. Happens a lot with lots of mods. Just count all the versions of carpets out there for example...or diffrent implementations of farming...there're lots of them. But if you intend to work together in the future, that's certainly good! But if your ideas differ too much, don't be afraid of keeping diffrent implementations.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Firstly, ideas don't have copyright as they are intangible. Kaeza may have been working on a solution at the same time as you. Ideas don't legally need attribute, ideas are a dime a dozen. I had the idea of making auto-complete, but I didn't have the motivation of creating it. Therefore, if she did the work to compile the index, then she legally has the copyright. No matter who came up with the idea. Sorry, but that's how the international law works.

Secondly, this work is under the BSD license, which is an open source license.

Finally, competition is good as it encourages improvements and work. However co-operation and contribution is better still.

Hello profile reader

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Firstly, ideas don't have copyright as they are intangible.
Yup. That's why Minetest exist. Because it is inspired by Infiniminer and else.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/