[SCRIPT] Build Minetest in Linux, newbie friendly!

Fritigern
In-game: Fritigern

[SCRIPT] Build Minetest in Linux, newbie friendly!

by Fritigern » Post

I wrote a script to build Minetest on Debian systems a long time ago.
Over time I have tweaked it and added to it to a point that it's now capable of cloning the needed git repositories (a check is performed to see if it's needed and skipped if the local git repo has already been set up), build Minetest and optionally run Minetest after it has been built. After the building is complete, the script will tell you how long it took to build, just for the heck of it (though some people may like to know).

The idea is for those that have never built anything from source, to allow them to easily compile Minetest from source.

I've included a (commented) command line for the installation of the dependencies if needed and so I now hope that I have covered all the bases in the script.
The only thing that I have not covered is how to save the script and how to make it executable :-)

Let me know what you guys think, I like to hear some feedback.

The script can be found at http://pastebin.com/D0d6hJU2
--
This is NOT a sig.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [SCRIPT] Build Minetest in Linux, newbie friendly!

by Sokomine » Post

You ought to put it into the wiki. People who are new to MT and looking for something like this script will never find it in the depths of the forum.
A list of my mods can be found here.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: [SCRIPT] Build Minetest in Linux, newbie friendly!

by twoelk » Post

You could for example add a link on the Getting Started Wiki page. Maybe as alternative to the
[Debian / Ubuntu] 1-line script: install Minetest Git from Calinou.