Page 1 of 1

Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 03:19
by slemon
There is a minecraft to minetest world converter, so why not develop a Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter? Dwarf Fortress worlds probably will look awesome.

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27
by srifqi
That seems like good idea. But, Dwarf Fortress has much more nodes than Minetest has. Maybe, we will convert it just into "stone" or "tree"?

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 16:25
by Dragonop
I guess you could make that each tile in Dwarf Fortress equals a 3x3 area in Minetest. That would keep the areas usable, sort of. 4x4 would be better tho

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 04:33
by slemon
srifqi wrote:That seems like good idea. But, Dwarf Fortress has much more nodes than Minetest has. Maybe, we will convert it just into "stone" or "tree"?

Dragonop wrote:I guess you could make that each tile in Dwarf Fortress equals a 3x3 area in Minetest. That would keep the areas usable, sort of. 4x4 would be better tho

I think 2x2 will be enough for the node. Remember, workshop in dwarf fortress is 3x3, so they will be to large if we will use 1x1 to 3x3 or 4x4 conversion.
Also, specific nodes that are not present in minetest could be turned into special construction made out of nodes present in minetest.

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:13
by Morn76
I suppose you could use DF2MC to convert from DF to MC, and then mcimport.py to convert from MC to MT.

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 21:54
by Simons_Mith
Apologies for necroing, but I'm looking at this afresh. DF2MC and mcimport.py work via Minecraft, and they're both rather old. If I was going to import from dwarf fortress I'd prefer to do it direct to avoid Minecraft's height level limit.

I'm also trying to find out Minetest's node limit. I know DF has many block types not present in Minetest, and vice versa. But DF defines its materials using a scripting language and so does Minetest, so can't I just write a script to bulk-generate all umpty-ump different block types and [at least initially] just use placeholder graphics for them?

How many different block types are you allowed to create in Minetest?

Also, really stupid question, where is the best source for documentation on the minetest map format?

Search terms I've used on the Wiki include 'block', 'node', 'map', 'format', 'world' - nothing much is coming up.

Re: Dwarf Fortress to minetest world converter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 01:03
by Sokomine
Simons_Mith wrote:I'm also trying to find out Minetest's node limit. I know DF has many block types not present in Minetest, and vice versa. But DF defines its materials using a scripting language and so does Minetest, so can't I just write a script to bulk-generate all umpty-ump different block types and [at least initially] just use placeholder graphics for them?

You ought to consider writing a texture (name) converter as well. Adjusting all that manually could be a lot of work.

Simons_Mith wrote:How many different block types are you allowed to create in Minetest?

I don't know the exact number, but it's at least several thousand, or rather several ten thousand. Plus a new option for coloring blocks.

Simons_Mith wrote:Also, really stupid question, where is the best source for documentation on the minetest map format?

In order to get started, have a look at your doc/world_format.txt file. You can also try to talk to paramat on irc if you have specific questions. But first: Have a look at all those mcimport mods out there (not mine!). There are some scripts which read MC worlds and store them as MT worlds. Look at those that work on database/filesystem level. Even if that's not exactly what you're looking for it could at least be helpful.