[Tool] WorldPainter plugin

u19503

Re: WorldPainter support?

by u19503 » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:I'm hoping to do a video of this soon when my cold clears up :)
That would be great!

What will it be a showcase or a tutorial?

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

I noticed on youtube there are so many tutorials but not many showcases so it'd be a short showcase :) A big reason would be to show my students what is possible and get them excited about it.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Schematics are used by minetests' engine to place decorations that are more complex (trees, mostly). For some actual code that makes it easy to understand how they're generated, look here:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/saveschems/

Captain_Chaos
GitHub: Captain-Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

sofar wrote:Schematics are used by minetests' engine to place decorations that are more complex (trees, mostly).
Is this the same as the "blueprints" mentioned by toby109tt?

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
sofar wrote:Schematics are used by minetests' engine to place decorations that are more complex (trees, mostly).
Is this the same as the "blueprints" mentioned by toby109tt?
Yes

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain-Chaos have any updates?

Captain_Chaos
GitHub: Captain-Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

toby109tt wrote:Captain-Chaos have any updates?
I'm working on importing schematics. I want to do it properly so it's taking a while. The advantage will be that you can export Minetest schematics to Minecraft maps as well.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
I'm working on importing schematics. I want to do it properly so it's taking a while. The advantage will be that you can export Minetest schematics to Minecraft maps as well.
That sounds nice!

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
Now it's getting way too quiet!

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Will the Minetest plugin repo be available on your github page? I see you have the worldpainter repo in there already, it'd be nice to be able to get updates from there. Just wondering and thanks for making this!
-Mike
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

toby109tt wrote:
Captain_Chaos wrote:
Now it's getting way too quiet!
Geesh... give the dude some time :P

I'm sure this is not the ONLY thing he has going on in life...

Let the news and updates come as he is able to provide it ; )
A Wonderful World

u19503

by u19503 » Post

TumeniNodes
No I mean that theres not Enough People commenting on this topic
(it needs more comments)

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

ohhhhhhh, heh sorry
A Wonderful World

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
Nore wrote: "ignore" is used for unloaded blocks or nodes. You should never generate it.
Should it exist on disk? The reason I know about it is that I see it in a dumps of a test map I made with Minetest. Usually the only other nodes in the block are leaf or air nodes.

I'm curious how it is used, exactly, as there might be circumstances in which it would be useful for WorldPainter to generate them, for example perhaps around the edges of the generated area for objects which extrude outside the generated area.
If I understood hmmm correctly, that's preceisely what ignore in the outer shell of a mapblock is used for. When mapgen creates a new mapchunk of 5x5x5 mapblock of 16x16x16 nodes each, there's a shell of 16 nodes around it that overlaps with neighbouring mapblocks and is initially ignore. When a cave (or perhaps tree?) extends into that shell, some nodes may become "air" and will then not be processed by the neighbouring mapchunk when it's generated.
Captain_Chaos wrote: I didn't know about blueprints. I'll look into it. However in the mean time Minecraft schematics, bo2's, bo3's and Structures (.nbt files) do already work (insofar as they consist of blocks that minetest_game knows about of course)!
Seems there are a lot of formats around for MC. I added support for the .schematic format to my handle_schematics mod (in combination with mccompat) when I wrote those so that some structures from MC can be viewed in MT (MC itshelf does not run on my machine due to lack of a dedicated graphics card).

As to the other dimensions like nether and end which you mentionned: Why not add them at diffrent heights? Just go up/down 1000 or 10000 nodes and place that part of the map there.
A list of my mods can be found here.

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Post

Any updates on this project? I'm really looking forward to full support as it would really help with a server I plan on launching soon.

And a question: Will there be some sort of support to use WorldPainter to paint worlds using different subgames?
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

octacian wrote:Any updates on this project? I'm really looking forward to full support as it would really help with a server I plan on launching soon.

And a question: Will there be some sort of support to use WorldPainter to paint worlds using different subgames?
Hes on vacation at the moment he said
His comment is below
I'm about to leave for Hawaii. Normal scheduled service will be resumed in July. :)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Spoiler
EDIT: What this should have said: If you don't care about not having it completely adapted to Minetest, you can still use WorldPainter for minetest.
download worldpainter, make your world, export it, convert it to Minetest, and now you have used WorldPainter for Minetest.
Example:
This is a world I painted with WorldPainter:
This is the world exported and converted to Minetest:
Last edited by GreenXenith on Wed Jun 28, 2017 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Yes but the plugin will be optimised for minetest to support mods and codes the mc doesn't have

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

toby109tt wrote:Yes but the plugin will be optimised for minetest to support mods and codes the mc doesn't have
Touche'

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
toby109tt wrote:Yes but the plugin will be optimised for minetest to support mods and codes the mc doesn't have
Touche'
No, seriously. The developer had planned at one point to implement a Lua interpreter here so as to allow painting using nodes from other mods and subgames.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

octacian wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:
Touche'
No, seriously. The developer had planned at one point to implement a Lua interpreter here so as to allow painting using nodes from other mods and subgames.
What, you thought I wasn't taking him seriously?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

GreenDimond wrote:I don't get it... just download worldpainter, make your world, export it, convert it to Minetest, and now you have used WorldPainter for Minetest.
You forget that minecraft worlds go from 0 to 128 only. With a special minetest version of worldpainter, you can directly make minetest worlds that go far higher and lower than the minecraft worlds can ever go.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

sofar wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:I don't get it... just download worldpainter, make your world, export it, convert it to Minetest, and now you have used WorldPainter for Minetest.
You forget that minecraft worlds go from 0 to 128 only. With a special minetest version of worldpainter, you can directly make minetest worlds that go far higher and lower than the minecraft worlds can ever go.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a Minetest version. But for the time being, this works.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

GreenDimond wrote: You forget that minecraft worlds go from 0 to 128 only. With a special minetest version of worldpainter, you can directly make minetest worlds that go far higher and lower than the minecraft worlds can ever go.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a Minetest version. But for the time being, this works.[/quote]

You said you didn't understand why this was nice and needed by people, I just answered your question.

Your method will work *indefinitely* for everyone, if you don't care about falling to your death at y=0, and don't want higher mountains. Well, I suppose that worldpainter can paint above 128, seeing that MC goes above 128 in recent versions.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

sofar wrote:You said you didn't understand why this was nice and needed by people, I just answered your question.

Your method will work *indefinitely* for everyone, if you don't care about falling to your death at y=0, and don't want higher mountains. Well, I suppose that worldpainter can paint above 128, seeing that MC goes above 128 in recent versions.
Yes, I should have rephrased - This would be nice if modified for Minetest due to things being different in Minecraft. I should have said that that was a method that could be used as a solution until WorldPainter is ready for Minetest. I shall edit.