sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: WorldPainter support?

by sofar » Post

GreenDimond wrote:I shall edit.
This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

sofar wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:I shall edit.
This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.
True. I have edited it so it is not incoherent.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

sofar wrote:This will make the conversation completely incoherent for someone who reads it afterwards.
I'm starting to think most people stop reading threads after the first page, and try to start a new thread, related to ask questions of for help, anyway. :P
A Wonderful World

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

this is an awesome project! Thanks.....

R

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Captain Chaos: are you still working on this project? Some people are still interested :)

TumeniNodes and Voxelproof have drawn my attention to this thread because I'm currently working on a project that has some similarities with World Painter.

It's a program that generates Minetest worlds from GeoTiff images, you can find it here: geo-mapgen. It does not generate the Minetest world directly like World Painter, it acts in 2 steps. First, a standalone Python program converts the image(s) into a binary data file (heightmap.dat). Then this file is interpreted by the mapgen.
The format for the heightmap.dat was first designed to handle only topographic data, but it now supports biomes. So I'm wondering if World Painter could export into this format, which is basically a set of tiled arrays with zlib compression, should not be too difficult to generate.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

Nice! I am a big fan of WorldPainter! I can't speak on the technical side but I can say that WorldPainter would be brillient and splended for server hosters. I do hope you are still working on the project, If so, good luck!

I'm a tad late to the thread aren't I?

Captain_Chaos
GitHub: Captain-Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

It was brought to my attention that the plugin had gone. This was caused by the server crash that ate the WorldPainter website at the end of last year. I've updated the plugin and it's now back! See the first post for details. You can now use the latest WorldPainter version instead of having to use a snapshot. If you already have the plugin you'll have to re-download it and copy it over the version currently in your plugins folder, as WorldPainter won't load the old plugin.

Please note that I haven't tested whether the plugin actually still works. ;) Please test it and let me know!

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Captain Chaos: are you still working on this project? Some people are still interested :)
"Working" is too big a word, but it is not dead. ;) If you have feature requests, let me know!
Gael de Sailly wrote:So I'm wondering if World Painter could export into this format, which is basically a set of tiled arrays with zlib compression, should not be too difficult to generate.
I don't think that would make too much sense, as WorldPainter creates fully 3D maps, with caves, bodies of water or lava, trees and other vegetation, etc.. You could use WorldPainter as a height map designer though, as WorldPainter can export the world as an 8-bit or 16-bit height map (File -> Export).
Last edited by Captain_Chaos on Thu May 17, 2018 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: WorldPainter support!

by twoelk » Post

uhm, but worldpainter can load hight maps or so it could when I used it to create mc maps long ago.
simple pixel images as hightmaps iirc with weird results sometimes
don't know how difficult loading GeoTiff images would be

hadn't noticed there was a newer version than I had
so
offffffffff to the next crash tests :-D

Kroukuk
In-game: Kroukuk

Re: [Tool] WorldPainter plugin

by Kroukuk » Post

Hello
I get this error when trying to export a minetest world

Code: Select all

[2018-09-13 12:04:49,189] {ERROR } (  o.p.worldpainter.ErrorDialog) ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldPainterChunkFactory.<init>(WorldPainterChunkFactory.java:37)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.parallelExportRegions(AbstractWorldExporter.java:220)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestWorldExporter.export(MinetestWorldExporter.java:61)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:138)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:125)
	at org.pepsoft.util.swing.MultiProgressComponent$1.run(MultiProgressComponent.java:91)
[2018-09-13 12:04:49,191] {ERROR } (  o.p.worldpainter.ErrorDialog) java.lang.ClassCastException: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPlatformProvider cannot be cast to org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.BlockBasedPlatformProvider
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldPainterChunkFactory.<init>(WorldPainterChunkFactory.java:37)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.parallelExportRegions(AbstractWorldExporter.java:220)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestWorldExporter.export(MinetestWorldExporter.java:61)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:138)
	at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.ExportProgressDialog$1.execute(ExportProgressDialog.java:125)
Does anyone know what the reason could be? I have Java installed, but is there something else I need?

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Kroukuk wrote:I get this error when trying to export a minetest world
I had not updated the plugin for some changes in WorldPainter. I've now done so, if you download the plugin again it should work with the latest release of WorldPainter!
Last edited by Captain_Chaos on Tue Feb 05, 2019 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kroukuk
In-game: Kroukuk

by Kroukuk » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
Kroukuk wrote:I get this error when trying to export a minetest world
I had not updated the plugin for some changed in WorldPainter. I've now done so, if you download the plugin again it should work with the latest release of WorldPainter!
Thank you very much :D

MalaTortuga

by MalaTortuga » Post

I'm trying to create a Minetest world from a height map to create a roughly 1:1 scale recreation of Dereth from the game Asheron's Call. I'm running into a few roadblocks in Minetest support in various WorldPainter UIs.

When using "Import new World...From Height map" the UI does not support Minetest limitations. The max world height is 2048 for Minecraft using a specific mod. This makes it impossible to create a Minetest world with a larger height range via import. It's also impossible to go beyond 999% of the image dimensions using this UI. I also can't tell if importing through this means will even allow me to export a MineTest map.

When using "New World" and setting the format to Minetest, the UI lets me create a new map using the limits of Minetest, however if I then use the "Import...height map into current dimension" the blocks height setting is fixed at 256 and the option is unable to be changed. Therefore when I set the "Minecraft...Top" setting to the top of the currently loaded map I get an error because the fixed maxHeight value of 256 is lower than the actual maximum map height I'm trying to use with my height map (which is well over 2048).

Because of these two issues I'm unable to import the map I'm looking to create in Minetest and I'm unable to find a workaround. Is there any way to resolve this or would it require patching?

EDIT:

I did more toying around with this after posting yesterday and I found the only way to get around this was to stay at or below 2048 block height. It appears if you set the world height to over 2048 blocks, the "maxHeight" setting of the height map import gets locked to whatever the max height is so you cannot set it within the bounds of the actual height map image's range. This appears to be a bug that I'll report through more official channels.

The 999% max scale issue cannot be worked around in any way I can find.

I'm also seeing issues with water level placement when scaling a height map but that's outside the scope of this post so I'll take it to a more generic WorldPainter forum.

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

MalaTortuga wrote:I'm running into a few roadblocks in Minetest support in various WorldPainter UIs.
The situation should be improved with the latest version of WorldPainter. It allows you to select the map format on the height map import screen.

The 999% maximum scale could be increased, but I wonder what would be the point of that. 999% is already a ten times increase, resulting in an extreme smoothing out and loss of all detail in the map. But if you really want that then you could resize the height map yourself before importing it, using a paint program.

Have you reported the other issues you mentioned anywhere yet?
Last edited by Captain_Chaos on Fri May 01, 2020 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

SaxoFr

by SaxoFr » Post

Hello, great program! Just a small question: is it possible to add a function to import (open) a MINETEST world ?

Leongham

by Leongham » Post

Hey I have a problem with worldpainter. I cant export the worlds to minetest. I get this message:
"An unexpected error has occurred.

Type: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
Message: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.<init>(Lorg/pepsoft/worldpainter/World2;)V

Please help debug the problem by using the button below to email the details of this error to the creator of this program.

The program may now be in an unstable state. It is recommended to restart it as soon as possible."

Anyone can help?
Last edited by Leongham on Sat Jan 18, 2020 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Leongham

by Leongham » Post

Leongham wrote:Hey I have a problem with worldpainter. I cant export the worlds to minetest. I get this message:
"An unexpected error has occurred.

Type: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
Message: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.<init>(Lorg/pepsoft/worldpainter/World2;)V

Please help debug the problem by using the button below to email the details of this error to the creator of this program.

The program may now be in an unstable state. It is recommended to restart it as soon as possible."

Anyone can help?
Attachments
SharedScreenshot.jpg
SharedScreenshot.jpg (224.71 KiB) Viewed 3425 times

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

+1 for this project!

Thanks

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Good evening, I am a few years late but I wanted to say thanks for even considering to support Minetest. Home more Minecraft users will do the same too.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Hi everyone! Just in case anyone is still using this, I just updated the plugin so it works again with the latest WorldPainter. Sorry it took a while!

Just download it again from the link in the first post and place it in the WorldPainter plugins folder, which you can open from the Tools menu. Don't extract the file!

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Troodon
IRC: Troodon
In-game: Troodon

by Troodon » Post

Great work!

I just have a few questions can we add mod blocks specific to minetest? (I saw that in the minetest_game_blocks.tkt file there is a block list should we just add our blocks to this list?)

Again thank you for your help: D

Troodon

niwla23
In-game: Niwla

by niwla23 » Post

java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestChunkStore.close(MinetestChunkStore.java:199)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.WorldRegion.save(WorldRegion.java:276)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.lambda$parallelExportRegions$0(AbstractWorldExporter.java:293)
at org.pepsoft.util.mdc.MDCThreadPoolExecutor.lambda$wrap$0(MDCThreadPoolExecutor.java:55)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1130)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:630)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832)

WorldPainter version: 2.7.16 (20200614113037)

java.version: 14.0.1
java.vendor: Private Build
java.vm.version: 14.0.1+7-Ubuntu-1ubuntu1
java.vm.vendor: Private Build
java.vm.name: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
os.name: Linux
os.arch: amd64
os.version: 5.4.0-37-generic
user.home: /home/alwin
user.dir: /opt/worldpainter
user.country: DE
user.language: de

Free memory: 160725896 bytes
Total memory size: 424673280 bytes
Max memory size: 6140461056 bytes

World name: Generated World
Seed: 7793690040873449687
Bounds: -2, -2 => 2, 2
Height: 256
Number of tiles: 25
Layers in use:
Border: null @ 62
Sub surface material: Stone Mix
Water height: 62

Operation: Height
Radius: 57
Brush: Constant Square (radius=57, brushShape=SQUARE, level=0.51)/Sine Circle (radius=57, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=0.51)
Level: 0.51/0.51
Zoom: 0
Hidden layers: [Biome]

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Hi guys. Is anyone still using this? I don't think it works any more for the current version of Minetest (at least not in a quick test I did); should I look into making it work again?

Edit: I misspoke; it does appear still to work. Still, I'm curious whether people are still using it and whether there are any significant bugs or feature requests?

Sigmatica

by Sigmatica » Post

Hi. I am trying to make the plugin works but idk if I am doing something wrong in the installation.
This is the error that I am having rn.

java.lang.AbstractMethodError: Receiver class org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPostProcessor does not define or inherit an implementation of the resolved method 'abstract void postProcess(org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.MinecraftWorld, org.pepsoft.util.Box, org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.ExportSettings, org.pepsoft.util.ProgressReceiver)' of abstract class org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.PostProcessor.
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.PostProcessor.postProcess(PostProcessor.java:36)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.exportRegion(AbstractWorldExporter.java:750)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.lambda$parallelExportRegions$0(AbstractWorldExporter.java:279)
at org.pepsoft.util.mdc.MDCThreadPoolExecutor.lambda$wrap$0(MDCThreadPoolExecutor.java:55)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

WorldPainter version: 2.8.10 (20211211153027)

java.version: 17.0.2
java.vendor: Oracle Corporation
java.vm.version: 17.0.2+8-LTS-86
java.vm.vendor: Oracle Corporation
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
os.name: Windows 10
os.arch: amd64
os.version: 10.0

Free memory: 117349952 bytes
Total memory size: 285212672 bytes
Max memory size: 12834570240 bytes

World name: Generated World
Seed: -2668018442393099333
Bounds: -2, -2 => 2, 2
Height: 256
Number of tiles: 25
Layers in use:
Border: null @ 62
Sub surface material: Stone Mix
Water height: 62

Operation: null
Radius: 50
Brush: Plateau Circle (radius=0, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=1.0)/Sine Circle (radius=0, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=1.0)
Level: 0.51/0.51
Zoom: 0
Hidden layers: [Chasms, Deciduous, Swamp, Frost, Water/Lava, Terrain, Biome, Pine, [BETA] Caves, Jungle, Resources, Void, Caverns, Read Only]

Can someone help me? please :(

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Sigmatica wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 20:33
Hi. I am trying to make the plugin works but idk if I am doing something wrong in the installation.
This is the error that I am having rn.

java.lang.AbstractMethodError: Receiver class org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.MinetestPostProcessor does not define or inherit an implementation of the resolved method 'abstract void postProcess(org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.MinecraftWorld, org.pepsoft.util.Box, org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.ExportSettings, org.pepsoft.util.ProgressReceiver)' of abstract class org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.PostProcessor.
You're not doing anything wrong; the plugin needs to be updated. Now that I know someone still wants to use it I'll do that.