[Tool] WorldPainter plugin

Captain_Chaos
GitHub: Captain-Chaos

Re: WorldPainter support?

by Captain_Chaos » Post

fishyWET wrote:Appears to crash at startup for me again :/
You guys sure have interesting crashes. I have never seen that kind of output before and unfortunately I have no idea what could cause it. Do you have some kind of non standard Windows environment? I notice that you have installed WorldPainter on the desktop. I don't know why that should cause trouble, but could you try installing it in the default location? You did use the installer, right, rather than unpacking the file somehow?

You could also try the portable version. Just change the .exe in the download link to .zip. Maybe that version will work better.

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Do you have it running yet, @toby109tt? You're the one who got this ball rolling so it would be ironic if you couldn't run it... ;)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

I use a PortableApps settup for most things - including Java.
So normally I have all my game stuff installed onto a portable harddisk that I carry around and plug into whatever machine I"m at. I usually don"t have any issues running Java-apps over my portable java version. So that is why I hardly care or know whatever Java version is installed locally on any of the host systems I happen to use.

So now I found out that on a javaless 64 bit system I can not run your 32 or 64 bit versions although I point it at the portable java version alongside your executable. Running it from within a java launcher doesn't seem to work as well. So while I'll try other combinations as I get access to them I really do hope you will also provide a portable version for people like me that change host systems rather often.

btw, I just checked and found that from my versions on my portable device the v1.2.0 works on this system (64bit Vista with 4GB RAM at 3 GHz on Lenovo Laptop - no local Java) while the v2.2.3 does not. Never noticed that but then again I don't use this Laptop that often to play games.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
sfan5 wrote: Something I noticed when running minetestmapper on the generated map is that sometimes MapBlocks contain empty space (ID 0) but are missing the mapping to "air" in the ID<->Node mapping.
Hmmm, I can't reproduce this. Are you sure this was straight after exporting it from WorldPainter and before opening it in Minetest? If so, could you send me the .world file, and the generated Minetest map, in question? Thanks! :-)
-> https://a.pomf.cat/mrrkck.zip
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

I see there is demand for the portable version of WorldPainter, which does in fact exist. Here is a complete list of links:

With installer:
Windows 64-bit
Windows 32-bit
Mac OS X
UNIX/Linux

Linux packages:
Debian
RPM

Installerless/portable:
Windows 64-bit
Windows 32-bit
Mac OS X
UNIX/Linux

And for completeness' sake also the plugin:
Minetest support plugin

If you want to launch WorldPainter yourself instead of using the provided launchers your best bet is probably the UNIX/Linux portable version, as in that version the launcher is a shell script which you can parse to see exactly how to set up the classpath and invoke WorldPainter.

If you do launch WorldPainter yourself, and the update check is causing problems, you can disable that by setting the following system property on the Java command line: -Dorg.pepsoft.worldpainter.disableUpdateCheck=true

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:Do you have it running yet, @toby109tt? You're the one who got this ball rolling so it would be ironic if you couldn't run it... ;)
Haven't tested it sorry ( I think it would be better for me to wait a bit so it's more stable) but I will give it a try :)

u19503

by u19503 » Post

NOTE im using the porteble

first it diddent work but than i got this and after that it works now i have to get the plugin to work

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

hm, got it running on an even older system also running Vista.
on export I got prompted this
Spoiler
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.pepsoft.worldpainter.minetest.Plugin.getPostProcessor(Lorg/pepsoft/worldpainter/Platform;)Lorg/pepsoft/worldpainter/exporting/PostProcessor;
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.plugins.PlatformManager.getPostProcessor(PlatformManager.java:54)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.exportRegion(AbstractWorldExporter.java:745)
at org.pepsoft.worldpainter.exporting.AbstractWorldExporter.lambda$parallelExportRegions$0(AbstractWorldExporter.java:255)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(null:-1)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(null:-1)

WorldPainter version: 2.4.2-SNAPSHOT (20170226191033)

java.version: 1.8.0_121
java.vendor: Oracle Corporation
java.vm.version: 25.121-b13
java.vm.vendor: Oracle Corporation
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
os.name: Windows Vista
os.arch: x86
os.version: 6.0
user.home: C:\Users\Acer
user.dir: O:\Downloads\Spiele\Minetest\_Tools\WorldPainter\worldpainter_32_2.4.2-SNAPSHOT\WorldPainter
user.country: DE
user.language: de

Free memory: 19320320 bytes
Total memory size: 78589952 bytes
Max memory size: 259522560 bytes

World name: n21 World
Seed: -5268639969013163683
Bounds: -2, -2 => 2, 2
Height: 256
Number of tiles: 25
Layers in use: Lava, Pine, Deciduous, Populate, Swamp, Resources, Frost
Border: null @ 62
Sub surface material: STONE_MIX
Water height: 62

Operation: null
Radius: 50
Brush: Plateau Circle (radius=0, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=1.0)/Sine Circle (radius=0, brushShape=CIRCLE, level=1.0)
Level: 0.51/0.51
Zoom: 0
Hidden layers: [Biome]

u19503

by u19503 » Post

It works thx Captain-Chaos

u19503

by u19503 » Post

i made this

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

twoelk wrote:hm, got it running on an even older system also running Vista. on export I got prompted this
I think you probably didn't update the plugin.

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

toby109tt wrote:i made this
Nice. :-) Glad you got it to work!

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
toby109tt wrote:i made this
Nice. :-) Glad you got it to work!
Thank You For Your Amazing work keep it up!

u19503

by u19503 » Post

I hope mod support will be added soon :) also will the plugin be in the official release or will it be Something you can download on the website?

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

don't know how and why - but I got it working :-)

I didn't update anything or reinstall anything - just pressed so many buttons and toggled so many switches that I havn't a clue what worked in the end. I guess the rebooting of the OS may have been vital :D
Anyways - saving to Minetest worked - at least most of the time. I tried some of my old WorldPainter files and although all loaded, some could not be exported. I also loaded some Minecraft files and converted them to Minetest. It worked, somehow. Now I got to learn what the best setttings for water and border are to be able to let a Minetest mapgen take over at the borders nicely. Or maybe I should leave them WorldPainter-generated terrain as tepui/mesa in the Minetest generated landscape.

Once I find good settings I can finally attempt to convert my old 20 km² beast to Minetest, cropped as island with a nice wide ocean around it.

fishyWET
GitHub: neinwhal
IRC: neinwhal
In-game: neinwhal

by fishyWET » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote: You guys sure have interesting crashes.
I'm not sure what caused it, but it apparently caused malfunction for some of my java programs, including Worldpainter.
But just to clarify, i believe it's a personal issue and not related to Worldpainter and I finally got it working after some massive reset... Hopefully it will stay that way...
It works/looks great! (so far :P) Thanks for your work :D

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Tested on Linux with OpenJDK 8 (Debian Jessie, openjdk-8-jre from jessie backport, I basically uninstalled openjdk-7 and installed openjdk-8 as I also need version 8 for Eclipse Neon). It seems to work pretty much out of the box on this config! So OpenJFX is also part of this version of OpenJDK (as with Oracle's JRE).

Besides the terrible HiDPI support on my 3200x 1800 ATM (OpenJDK issue -_-), I did find some unknown material/ blocks e.g. wp:mat_0490 and wp:mat_0810 in the automatically generated world. But I guess this being a first version you'll be looking at the materials in more detail as you go. Ayways looks really cool and handy, I am sure that the community is going to appreciate this a lot!!

As far as issues are concerned, is there an issue tracker? (I see there is Trac installed) Or will you track those via the forum posts?
screenshot-02282017021944PM.jpg
screenshot-02282017021944PM.jpg (488.65 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
screenshot_20170228_143254.jpg
screenshot_20170228_143254.jpg (333.32 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
screenshot_20170228_143040.jpg
screenshot_20170228_143040.jpg (291.43 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

as far as an issue tracker, I know someone else mentioned looking for an bug-tracker to use for a mod or a subgame?... not sure why people don't just use launchpad, it has a very good track record.

Back on topic here, this is going to be a really nice and handy tool. It's really fun to play with, learning how it works. Thank you Captain Chaos!
A Wonderful World

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

twoelk wrote:I tried some of my old WorldPainter files and although all loaded, some could not be exported.
In what way? Did you get errors, or was the Minetest option not available? In the latter case, the world was probably not compatible with Minetest in some way, for example it was too large, or had more than one dimension. I'll probably relax those restrictions though.

If you get errors please let me know!
twoelk wrote:Now I got to learn what the best setttings for water and border are to be able to let a Minetest mapgen take over at the borders nicely.
Let me know when you do so I can include those settings! :-)

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

Beerholder wrote:So OpenJFX is also part of this version of OpenJDK (as with Oracle's JRE).
Actually since the last update it doesn't need JavaFX any more.
Beerholder wrote:I did find some unknown material/ blocks e.g. wp:mat_0490 and wp:mat_0810 in the automatically generated world. But I guess this being a first version you'll be looking at the materials in more detail as you go.
Actually the mapping should be pretty much complete now. Those blocks will be things that Minetest (or at least minetest_game) just does not have, for example Emerald, Lapis Lazuli or Redstone. I have yet to implement some way to manage that problem better. In the mean time you can turn off those materials in the Resources tab of the Dimension Properties screen so that WorldPainter doesn't generate them.
Beerholder wrote:As far as issues are concerned, is there an issue tracker?
It's probably best to use GitHub: https://github.com/Captain-Chaos/WorldPainter/issues

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

toby109tt wrote:will the plugin be in the official release or will it be Something you can download on the website?
It will probably stay a separately downloaded plugin.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Captain_Chaos wrote:
toby109tt wrote:will the plugin be in the official release or will it be Something you can download on the website?
It will probably stay a separately downloaded plugin.
Will You also add support for blueprints or schematics as they are called in Minecraft (blueprints are minetest schematics)

Captain_Chaos

by Captain_Chaos » Post

toby109tt wrote: Will You also add support for blueprints or schematics as they are called in Minecraft (blueprints are minetest schematics)
I didn't know about blueprints. I'll look into it. However in the mean time Minecraft schematics, bo2's, bo3's and Structures (.nbt files) do already work (insofar as they consist of blocks that minetest_game knows about of course)!

Edit: I can find very little information about blueprints in Minetest. Is this something that is used widely? Can you point me to some information about them?

u19503

by u19503 » Post

It's too quiet I don't like that XD

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

I'm hoping to do a video of this soon when my cold clears up :)
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids