[Idea] Make Minetest more like "Second Life".

FriendlyMan

[Idea] Make Minetest more like "Second Life".

by FriendlyMan » Post

Hello, I am here to seek for people who may have the similar goals as me into making this game stand out!

My two main ideas is to make this game into a community to draw some of the aspects to make it like a "second life".

Such features would be....
  • Buy/Sell items/blocks/etc by player created shops
  • Buy/Sell/Rent land by the players who owns them and by the server itself
  • In game currency
  • Hiring positions and metrics to track (hourly, productivity, and/or etc)
  • In game communities creations (like how a player can create a “town” or “city” on a land and run it with their chosen staffs)
  • Improved chatting system (chatting channels for example)

As well as making it more accessible so everyone would be able to play and join this sort of gaming community.

Here is the feature request for such viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18206

If your interested you can come on the discord server that I created for this https://discord.gg/8TyXpZe or PM me regarding this in order to arrange to talk somewhere else.
Last edited by FriendlyMan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 00:46, edited 2 times in total.

MineYoshi

Re: [Idea] Make Minetest more like "Second Life".

by MineYoshi » Post

Most of the characteristics you are mentioning are already contained within servers and subgames.
The idea of making Minetest accessible to blind players of course is a very good idea; it can be done with the lua modding api.
Have a nice day! :D

FriendlyMan

by FriendlyMan » Post

Hello, I can understand what your saying however that still does not dismiss the fact that I am seeking for members whose would be interested of partaking to make these possible.

Given that configurations, setups, and such has to be made as well as you mentioned modifications having to be created.

Thank you very much for the understanding in advance.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

FriendlyMan wrote: My two main ideas is to make this game into a community to draw some of the aspects to make it like a "second life". Like for example currency, players' own shops, and buy and selling lands to name a few.
I don't know much more about second life than that it existed and what I read about it. Never played it. As for currency: There are several mods that support currency. Player shops exist in various versions. The smartshps are particulary nice. There might be less point to buying and selling land as there's plenty of that available...
FriendlyMan wrote: Such features of making the game be bright all of the time (even during nights and caves), certain GUIs larger (like that tiny hot bar), as well as making it totally accessible to blind players.
Nights can be prevented from happening by setting time_speed to 0 (or so...I always forget the name of the variable). That doesn't help against dark caves. If you intend to sell land, having the land well-lit might be an argument for the player to actually buy this particular land and not build elsewhere (although the player usually carfts and places light sources). But how can a 3d game like MineTest be made available for blind players?
A list of my mods can be found here.

FriendlyMan

by FriendlyMan » Post

I don't know much more about second life than that it existed and what I read about it. Never played it. As for currency: There are several mods that support currency. Player shops exist in various versions. The smartshps are particulary nice. There might be less point to buying and selling land as there's plenty of that available...

Thank you very much for your posting in regards to these... As I mentioned the "tools" may be there but a community for such still need to be formed. That's what I am shooting for, in order to build such a game that people can more easily play in.
Nights can be prevented from happening by setting time_speed to 0 (or so...I always forget the name of the variable). That doesn't help against dark caves. If you intend to sell land, having the land well-lit might be an argument for the player to actually buy this particular land and not build elsewhere (although the player usually carfts and places light sources).

I meant without affecting the game play itself so that night still rolls around (the sky would be dark and daylight stuffs would halt and etc).
But how can a 3d game like MineTest be made available for blind players?

The concept is simple "converting" what we see into something that they can access. Mechanically it involves quite a bit but if your thinking outside the box, gather the right people, and such it technically possible. With a person like myself I am able to extend to such community in order to help facilitate such.

If you or anyone else have any more questions or concerns feel free to ask. Otherwise feel free to join on in and let's talk about you getting involved. :)

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

Hey there,
I am actually on your side, I think the best approach would be to put together a sub-game that focuses on this and host a server that uses the sub-game. I am building a mod that creates towns that I feel you may like.
Check it out over here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18136
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

FriendlyMan

by FriendlyMan » Post

SonosFuer wrote:Hey there,
I am actually on your side, I think the best approach would be to put together a sub-game that focuses on this and host a server that uses the sub-game. I am building a mod that creates towns that I feel you may like.
Check it out over here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18136

Exactly! By having a community base for this project we can better insure that we will be able to be successful into releasing such subgame type and a server to boot. :)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Join JT2. Seriously.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15334

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I'm (very very slowly) developing an extended chat system ( currently only nick coloring is implemented *g* that allows channels with topics like IRC but without IRC and without unnecessary complexity on user side.

https://github.com/4w/exchat

FriendlyMan

by FriendlyMan » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:I'm (very very slowly) developing an extended chat system ( currently only nick coloring is implemented *g* that allows channels with topics like IRC but without IRC and without unnecessary complexity on user side.

https://github.com/4w/exchat

Ahh interesting, thank you for sharing. :)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

It's in it's early stage. Currently nothing except changing the nick and brackets color (and private messages) are supported. I'm still not sure how to implement the "channel" thing. I want to use as much of the already existing stuff as possible. (Like color definitions are stored in custom user attributes. I guess the current channel will go there, too.)

FriendlyMan

by FriendlyMan » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:It's in it's early stage. Currently nothing except changing the nick and brackets color (and private messages) are supported. I'm still not sure how to implement the "channel" thing. I want to use as much of the already existing stuff as possible. (Like color definitions are stored in custom user attributes. I guess the current channel will go there, too.)

Thank you for your additional explanation and I do understand that your wanting to make sure to use much of the core features as much as possible. I do wish you luck into expanding the capabilities of this project of yours so that it will be more useful for more of the community. :)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little, but everyone feel free to comment on my channels proposal

https://github.com/4w/exchat/issues/1