[Abandoned Fork] Squaresville C [squaresville]

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

Re: [Fork] Squaresville C [squaresville]

by Devy » Post

duane wrote:
Devy wrote:It would be really cool to be able to find partially buried (maybe even some fully) ruins. They could juuust barely be sticking out of the surface for you to find.

You could be an archeologist!
You mean like this?

Yeah, I can probably do that. : )

I've about decided that planting treasure would be better left to a mod though. It's easy to calculate where the ruins are, since they follow the usual big squares, and are made of cobble instead of stone.
Perfect! That looks way cooler! Before when the ruins were only spawning on the surface it kind of looked like someone came and griefed them or something, but this looks way more natural.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

It looks like old burried cities. the effect is really realistic.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

Duane, maybe add some vegetation over the ruins, that would make them look more like they were there for some time.
Also, this new type of roads you are generating is much harder to find. After playing for about ~2 hours, me and a friend of mine found only one ruined village with this mapgen (version from about ~16 hours ago).

The ruins themselves as I saw are quite nicely decayed. But something more than cobblestone would greatly improve diversity.
I have also explored geomoria that was integrated to the mapgen, and I myself like the results pretty much, mostly the lightning. It is still missing some decay though, but with technic mod installed it was quite colorful either way.

Also, I know that the surface entrances on geomoria are just one of the ways to enter it, but they are quite hard to find from the surface (mostly when they generate in a random ruin), I would recommend extending the stairs a bit above the ground.

You probably know that when the imaginary road (a line where the road goes but the road isn't generating there anymore) goes over the water, the water level rises at that line. That looks bad, but i saw it in the earlier versions too.

The terrain gets cut offs sometimes, I have noticed these on one coast that was... well, repeating itself in small parts (producing a saw-like shape). This might have something to do with the bug i mentioned earlier, cause it was just a few nodes away.

Giant trees are nice. But near the top of the tree, the main part is less and less noticeable until it eventually disappears, leaving floating planes of leaves above.

And, as usual, I'm checking for new stuff every few hours :)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

the_raven_262 wrote:Duane, maybe add some vegetation over the ruins, that would make them look more like they were there for some time.
Also, this new type of roads you are generating is much harder to find. After playing for about ~2 hours, me and a friend of mine found only one ruined village with this mapgen (version from about ~16 hours ago).

The ruins themselves as I saw are quite nicely decayed. But something more than cobblestone would greatly improve diversity.
I have also explored geomoria that was integrated to the mapgen, and I myself like the results pretty much, mostly the lightning. It is still missing some decay though, but with technic mod installed it was quite colorful either way.

Also, I know that the surface entrances on geomoria are just one of the ways to enter it, but they are quite hard to find from the surface (mostly when they generate in a random ruin), I would recommend extending the stairs a bit above the ground.

You probably know that when the imaginary road (a line where the road goes but the road isn't generating there anymore) goes over the water, the water level rises at that line. That looks bad, but i saw it in the earlier versions too.

The terrain gets cut offs sometimes, I have noticed these on one coast that was... well, repeating itself in small parts (producing a saw-like shape). This might have something to do with the bug i mentioned earlier, cause it was just a few nodes away.

Giant trees are nice. But near the top of the tree, the main part is less and less noticeable until it eventually disappears, leaving floating planes of leaves above.

And, as usual, I'm checking for new stuff every few hours :)
+1 for the decay of the ruins. old jars with ingots inside would be nice too!

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Reconstruction of Squaresville In Its Heyday

by duane » Post

Attachments
t17.jpg
t17.jpg (786.73 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that funny jars. xD

Squareville is going crazy!

duane

by duane » Post

Several bug fixes and some more interesting building materials.

Attachments
t02.jpg
t02.jpg (893.81 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yay!! I would love to see that in the next MT release! adds so much fun!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I agree. This would be a very nice addition for those who want to see more than hills, mountains, cliffs, oceans, forests, hills again, mountains again, etc.

Love how everything is ruined.

Is there a setting that can disable some buildings or building materials? There are some buildings that I wouldn't really like to have.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

duane

by duane » Post

v-rob wrote:Is there a setting that can disable some buildings or building materials? There are some buildings that I wouldn't really like to have.
I've just pushed mapgen settings to turn on/off the major features and adjust settings and noise parameters. The only way to disable specific building materials is to remove them from the default game. I doubt that I'll add switches for each of them.

Edit: I did add a nomulticolor switch to force the buildings to use regular stone types.

duane

Cave Biomes

by duane » Post

Cave biomes are now created from lua, with the minetest.register_cave_biome() function, which I'll document later. For examples, see the squaresville/init.lua in the default game. I may let them work with decorations at some point, but it's not a priority since the biomes include speleothems and the decoration concept doesn't fit that well with 3D shapes.

duane

Lua Bindings

by duane » Post

While adding the lua bindings for the geomorph system, I removed all larger ruins other than pyramids from the C code. Aside from the small, filler buildings, all ruins are created in lua with the register_geomorph() function, then placed by the C mapgen. This lets you easily create any structure you can imagine and specify where and how often it appears, as well as how ruined it is. For those who are familiar with geomoria, the lua definition is nearly the same.

How to make geomorphs:
Spoiler
The geomorphs are easy to make. Start with a fill, which looks like this.

Code: Select all

{act = 'fill', node = 'air', loc = {1, 21, 10}, size = {15, 4, 20}},
The coordinates are pairs describing the x, y, and z extents of the fill. In this case, we have a box at (x=1, y=21, z=10) with width (x)=15, height=4, and depth (z)=20. It will fill the box with air, creating a room.

Using many of those items, I constructed this:

You can, of course, specify any node to fill with. You can also specify a param2 setting to rotate a node (see the minetest lua_api.txt for specifics on rotation). However, rotation will not work correctly except in the y-axis (param2 < 4). I may add double-rotations later, but don't count on it.

Fills can specify a "line" or "floor" parameter, which creates a shell of the specified node around (usually) an air fill or a floor under it. This lets you place something other than stone in the walls, floor, and ceiling.

Finally, you can specify a "random" number to place things through a volume at random. The number is the denominator of the fraction of the volume you want filled (e.g. 2 for half the volume).

The "act" parameter can also be "stair" or "ladder". See the plans.lua file for examples. Stairs are placed with stone underneath and air overhead. Ladders require special rotation, which ranges from param2 = 2 to 5 (see my examples). Otherwise, they work just like fills.

My method for making geomorphs is to diagram them in Inkscape on a document set to 80x80 pixels, like so:

This lets you see exactly what you're going to get. Plus, since each box is an svg object, you can select it and look at the inkscape toolbar to see its exact coordinates for entry into a fill item.

I've attached the Inkscape document I use as a starter for all my plans.
Note that the geomorphs are all created the same for dungeon or above ground. The only difference is the area field, which specifies "geomoria" or "ruins". The only thing they're not good for is placing meta data. The existing ruins/dungeons are in the games/minetest_game/mods/squaresville/plans.lua file.

duane

by duane » Post

I've just pushed the chaos dimension (at altitude 10K). It's a bit different from the lua version, and so far is lacking the trump (to teleport there) and the skybox (which seems inappropriate for a mapgen). Note that the game's decoration code still populates everything with trees and plants, including the floating spheres.

There's lots of ore here (mostly underwater).

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

Not sure if I like the floating liquids. Activating them would cause some lag.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

duane wrote:I've just pushed the chaos dimension (at altitude 10K). It's a bit different from the lua version, and so far is lacking the trump (to teleport there) and the skybox (which seems inappropriate for a mapgen). Note that the game's decoration code still populates everything with trees and plants, including the floating spheres.

oh my gooooo...

duane

by duane » Post

the_raven_262 wrote:Not sure if I like the floating liquids. Activating them would cause some lag.
Not if you turn "waving water" off. Since they can't move, you won't get any server lag anyway.

duane

by duane » Post

I added the basic pods from Loud Walking at 20K altitude.

Note that I had to add a lot of sand around the rim of each pod, since there's no way to turn off overgeneration (other than rewriting the decoration code).

Attachments
t07.jpg
t07.jpg (987.01 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

This mapgen is an absurdity. I love it.

duane

by duane » Post

To update, I've set chaos to change based on where you are. Far to the north and south will look different from far to the east or west. Mostly it affects the size and number of the terrain features.

I think I've got all the major features in place. Now I just need to clean up the details. I use a lot of nodes (see below). None of them is strictly necessary, but the terrain features would look lousy without them. Most of them default to stone or air if the specific node can't be found.

A couple of features, including ruins, use most of the available building blocks from the default game. It would be nice if I could come up with a way to get all the available bricks and blocks and cobbles that are in play automatically. The only problem with that is the few things like red brick that would look terrible in ruins.

I'd like some method to plant treasure, but it's a pretty complex subject. What should be given away, and where? It needs some simple lua functions to plug things in. Of course, I'm very familiar with the booty mod, but all it does is randomly slap down treasure chests, with no thought of how easy they are to get to. Treasure should be linked to monsters, but that's a whole other bucket of worms.

Edit: On the subject of geomorphs, I'll point out again that nearly every structure the mapgen produces is either noise or a geomorph. I'm fairly proud of this subsystem. It makes building anything easy. All you have to do is break it down into boxes, spheres and cylinders and describe each. Obviously all of geomoria is composed of them, but so are all the ruins and shapes in chaos. Most of the geomorphs are in the lua portion of the fork, in the plans.lua file, and can be modified or added to easily.

Edit: I just pushed some documentation on the four new lua functions.

Huge list of required nodes (not including anything in the geomorphs):
default:desert_cobble
default:desert_sandstone
default:desert_sandstone_block
default:desert_sandstone_brick
default:desert_stone_block
default:desert_stonebrick
default:diamondblock
default:dirt
default:glass
default:goldblock
default:ice
default:ladder_wood
default:leaves
default:mese
default:meselamp
default:obsidian
default:sand
default:sandstone_block
default:silver_sandstone
default:silver_sandstone_block
default:silver_sandstone_brick
default:steelblock
default:stone_block
default:stonebrick
default:tree
default:wood
farming:straw
flowers:mushroom_brown
flowers:mushroom_red
flowers:waterlily
squaresville_c:air_ladder
squaresville_c:bark
squaresville_c:giant_mushroom_cap
squaresville_c:giant_mushroom_stem
squaresville_c:huge_mushroom_cap
squaresville_c:petrified_wood
squaresville_c:tree
squaresville_c:weightless_lava
squaresville_c:weightless_water

duane

by duane » Post

I've added a gennotify event for "treasure". This is actually for any place you might be tempted to put a treasure, trap, or mob spawner. See Booty for a simple example of a handler.

At the moment, the only treasure calls are made from geomorph items' "treasure" field. However, I'll put one or two in the random ruins as well. I'm not sure where in chaos or loud_walking would be appropriate.

Note that gennotify can only return a vector (position). You can infer a fair amount just from that about how difficult a treasure would be to get to, but it won't cover every possibility. My recommendation is to do something like I did with Booty, to have monsters spawn around treasures automatically, based on the level of the item(s) they're guarding.

I also simplified the normal pyramid and moved it to the plan.lua along with the other ruins.

duane

by duane » Post

I've added a new field to the biome definition -- radius. This lets you define a biome to occur only close to or far away from origin, for tougher or easier environments. With it, I added three biomes that only exist at the edges of the world.

Attachments
t19.jpg
t19.jpg (621.98 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
t22.jpg
t22.jpg (505.89 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
t20a.jpg
t20a.jpg (641.7 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

epic biomes!

duane

by duane » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:epic biomes!
Thanks.

I also added some little palm trees to brighten up the oases.

Attachments
t10.jpg
t10.jpg (622 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that is... mini oasis with mini palm trees! so cute <3

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:
duane wrote:I've just pushed the chaos dimension (at altitude 10K). It's a bit different from the lua version, and so far is lacking the trump (to teleport there) and the skybox (which seems inappropriate for a mapgen). Note that the game's decoration code still populates everything with trees and plants, including the floating spheres.

oh my gooooo...
I would be worried about the suspended liquids creating huge messes in the right circumstances. Maybe you should add some kind of glass to contain them in? Also, you should have someone make nightly builds of this for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. I really do want to see a server that uses this one day, and I want it to be as popular as HOMETOWN currently is.