Amidst for Minetest: A mapping and biomes tool

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

Re: Amidst for Minetest: A new map tool

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Fixerol wrote:I've tried to add 20 digits Hometown server seed, but it turns on text seed when I type last digit, is that intended?
Doh! That wasn't intentional.

There's a new version just uploaded (v1.1b) which allows the 20 digit seeds. Thanks for pointing that out.

(I was using using parseLong() instead of parseUnsignedLong()).
Fixerol wrote:P.S. Can you add Valleys support too? :)
I started on Valleys, but it's an interesting mapgen in that it adjusts the humidity depending on the landscape, which then adjusts the biomes (other mapgens don't do that). Amidstest can handle that part, but proper Valleys support would also imply changing the biome distribution stats provided by the Voronoi diagram, depending on whether the current mapgen is Valleys, which is a bit more work. So Valleys went on the backburner.

(Knowing that somebody actually wants Valleys support does help though - I don't think anyone had even downloaded v1.1 until I posted it on reddit)

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Thanks it fixed the problem for me, I found another bug: "Copy Seed" (Ctrl+C) in a menu gives different result after pasting:
Example: 14105561135541706857, after doing "Copy Seed" and pasting it in notepad gives -4341182938167844759

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

FWIW both -4341182938167844759 and 14105561135541706857 should bring up the same world in Amidstest, as they are two different ways of representing the same 64 bits of seed as a number. But yeah, the Copy Seed command should return the unsigned version, as that's what everything/everyone is used to.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Posted a new bugreport on github.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This tool is really impressive, looks very useful if you are searching for a particular biome. It's also fun to just browse through to get a feeling on how the world is structured.
There is a ton of features to try out, you even support v7 floatlands, this is also interesting.

The tool doesn't seem to be very stable yet and has a couple of bugs. I report them as I find them, I hope they get fixed.

Thanks for supporting MCL2 biomes. I learned from your tool that the JungleEdgeM biome has a likelihood of 0.1%. This is good to know, it was supposed to be rare.

I also learned from your tool something what I've always suspected: That the Bamboo biomes in Ethereal are very common. From the map and Voronoi diagrams this becomes very obvious.

----------------------
As a general note, please avoid titles and descriptions like “<Random Minecraft-specific thing> for Minetest”. Nnot everyone here is a Minecraft freak, so it's usually better to keep descriptions generic so that everyone can understand.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Now this will save me hours of balancing the four biomes inside Solar Plains. Getting them to a almost perfect 30:30:20:20 ratio.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

New release - 1.3!

Finally it supports Valleys mapgen.

It also adds built-in biomes for the Aotearoa and Australia mods.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Congrats on the valley mg support!

texmex

Re: Amidst for Minetest: A mapping and biomes tool

by texmex » Post

Is it possible to modify mapgen settings in Amidst? Not just view them?

Attachments
mg.png
mg.png (77.84 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Not without changing it in the source and recompiling. The settings are currently in the *params.java files here.

Ideally it would locate the minetest directory, and you could select a world and have it read the settings from map_meta.txt etc.

However, I don't see myself ever having the time to develop that feature, though I'd happily pull it if someone else did it.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:Not without changing it in the source and recompiling. The settings are currently in the *params.java files here.

Ideally it would locate the minetest directory, and you could select a world and have it read the settings from map_meta.txt etc.

However, I don't see myself ever having the time to develop that feature, though I'd happily pull it if someone else did it.
Couldn't you just put that data in JSON or something to allow people to edit it themselves outside the Java Applet like we already do for uh, Biome Data?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Jordach wrote:Couldn't you just put that data in JSON or something to allow people to edit it themselves outside the Java Applet like we already do for uh, Biome Data?
Not a bad idea. Perfect is the enemy of the good, this way would at least make some of the functionality accessible.

texmex

by texmex » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Jordach wrote:Couldn't you just put that data in JSON or something to allow people to edit it themselves outside the Java Applet like we already do for uh, Biome Data?
Not a bad idea. Perfect is the enemy of the good, this way would at least make some of the functionality accessible.
Yes! Excellent!

piet
In-game: piet

by piet » Post

i have download the mod and placed it on my minetest mods folder but he works not! please fix it! >:-|

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

piet wrote:i have download the mod and placed it on my minetest mods folder but he works not! please fix it! >:-|
It's not a minetest mod, it's a separate stand-alone application.

If you're on Linux or OSX you run the .jar file, if you're on Window your run the .exe file.

It requires Java 8 or higher (either OpenJDK or Oracle's JRE).

piet
In-game: piet

by piet » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
piet wrote:i have download the mod and placed it on my minetest mods folder but he works not! please fix it! >:-|
It's not a minetest mod, it's a separate stand-alone application.

If you're on Linux or OSX you run the .jar file, if you're on Window your run the .exe file.

It requires Java 8 or higher (either OpenJDK or Oracle's JRE).
problem is fixed

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The Voronoi diagram for v6 is completely wrong.
  • Heat and humidity go (roughly) from -1 to 1, not from -100 to 100
  • Beach is not a biome, it uses its own noise; it also goes way below sea level. Maybe beach should be implemented as layer instead
  • Voronoi is not used at all to determine v6 biomes, it's done by checking simple cutoff points (if you ignore biome blend). So maybe it's best to just disable the Voronoi window for v6 biomes
This diagram is more accurately representing the v6 biomes:

(Temperate = Normal)

Finally, I liked the name “Amidstest” better than “Amidst for Minetest”.

EDIT: Better image.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

How about I have it bring up a non-interactive dialog which displays this diagram you've created? The dialog could title itself a Whittaker diagram instead of voronoi, even though it'll still be the voronoi menu that brings it up.

(I also have to add the new rivers to carpathian, and add paramat's new floatlands mpagen)
Finally, I liked the name “Amidstest” better than “Amidst for Minetest”.
It's cuter, but I feel that while we can't remove "test" from the name of the engine, I can at least stop calling everything else a test, and if someone's already familiar with Amidst but unaware of Minetest then “Amidst for Minetest” can introduce them to "Minetest".

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:I feel that while we can't remove "test" from the name of the engine, I can at least stop calling everything else a test
This, absolutely this! Using "test" in all and every Minetest-related software (and games!) has to stop! The sooner the better.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

How about I have it bring up a non-interactive dialog which displays this diagram you've created? The dialog could title itself a Whittaker diagram instead of voronoi, even though it'll still be the voronoi menu that brings it up.
Good idea. Although I would just rename the menu entry to “biome distribution diagram” or something like that.

Juozas
GitHub: juozaspo

by Juozas » Post

I've used the program a lot to generate seeds for minetest, It works fine, but after using it a while to generate maps from random seeds it's throwing an amidst.minetest.world.mapgen.InvalidNoiseParamsException: out of memory and multiple java.lang.NullPointerException errors while generating a map from random seed. I've posted earlier an issue about on github of the related amidst fork about this, having very similar result.
Сделано в СССР

T6C
In-game: T6C

by T6C » Post

Finally downloaded the jar of this last night and started playing with it. Really liking this so far. One of the first things I do when I create a new world is explore for the sole purpose of generating a map. This does it for me ahead of time! :D

I've noticed in the terminal window (linux) this error popping up every time I generate a new Valleys map using Ethereal biomes...

[error] Error: BiomeDataOracleValleys cannot cast params to CarpathianParams. Using defaults instead.

Anyone know what this is talking about? It doesn't seem to affect the world generation process.

Also, I'm having a heck of a time creating a .desktop file for this app. Any suggestions? Debian recognizes the .desktop file, and places it in the menu, but when I click the icon, it either doesn't run at all, or launches, but never finishes launching.

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Is it possible to launch Amidst from a desktop shortcut (Windows) with the world seed/world type as arguments or from a file? Repeatedly checking a world for various biome locations would be easier without having to type out a 20 digit seed each time you load it
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 07:27
Is it possible to launch Amidst from a desktop shortcut (Windows) with the world seed/world type as arguments or from a file?
No, surprisingly.

The -seed command-line option was added upstream in 2019, but Amidst for Minetest had forked off before then.

I've noted this as an issue on the project, but it's not a project I've been giving much attention to.

simnenaul

by simnenaul » Post

your tool is very interesting but how to use it?
france