Minetest Modding Course

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Minetest Modding Course

by Nathan.S » Post

If you've been wanting to start making mods, but haven't been sure where exactly to start this could be just what you've been looking for, or weren't looking for, but needed to find. :)

I've been making Minetest videos for a few years now, and have created a bunch of modding videos, but never have I created a modding course, something that starts with the assumption that you know nothing about Minetest and modding and builds from the ground up. That is what this course aims to do.

The course starts out with an introduction chapter that covers the complete basics, installation of Minetest, mods, texture packs, and games. I list some decent code editors to use, and cover file layout. If you've ever done any modding you can probably skip the entire intro, but if you want to introduce a friend or family member to modding it might be good for them to watch the intro video, especially if they have no experience with Minetest.

Unlike all my other videos this is very scripted, and the entire video text is available on my website as well, making this suitable for people that like to learn watching videos or by reading. (There are actually some small differences between the video and lesson text, but both cover all the exact same material.)

I've been working on this course for some time, since about the beginning of the year, there's been a lot of planning and design work involved. Currently I only have the intro completed and the first lesson of Chapter two, which covers creating a basic node and recipe. Hopefully as I keep working on making these videos and editing them I get faster and faster at it, 'cause right now it's taking about six hours to get a fifteen minute video. As I release new videos I'll be mentioning it here, but the best way to keep up to date is to subscribe to my youtube channel. :)

You can find the course on my website here, and the course playlist on Youtube here.
Attachments
forum_image.jpg
forum_image.jpg (194.76 KiB) Viewed 564 times
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

MineYoshi

Re: Minetest Modding Course

by MineYoshi » Post

Is this course supposed for people without coding experience or for people with at least basic programming knowledge?
Have a nice day! :D

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

MineYoshi wrote:Is this course supposed for people without coding experience or for people with at least basic programming knowledge?
I'm designing the course for the complete beginner. Hopefully somebody who has never looked at computer code in their life could watch/read the course and learn how to mod.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Very nice Nathan. I know you've been putting a lot of work into this.
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Nathan.S wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:Is this course supposed for people without coding experience or for people with at least basic programming knowledge?
I'm designing the course for the complete beginner. Hopefully somebody who has never looked at computer code in their life could watch/read the course and learn how to mod.
I guess you're only going to teach the simple recipes for creating nodes, items and crafting recipes.
Have a nice day! :D

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I'm actually working on the second lesson for chapter two, which covers recipes. I'll be covering using groups, replacements, shapeless, and shaped. Should hopefully have it completed by the end of the month. As the course progresses I'll hopefully cover more advanced crafting things such as making custom recipes, that can be crafted in different crafting machines. Similar to what Technic does for the alloy furnace.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

New lesson, all about crafting.
http://www.nathansalapat.com/mmc/02-02-Crafts
I had hoped to have this finished sooner, but I ran into a few little problems with documentation and not knowing if what I was experiencing was a bug or expected results, but not documented. Anyway, it's finished now and ready for your viewing pleasure.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I just completed the next lesson, this one is all about groups.
http://www.nathansalapat.com/mmc/02-03-Groups
I realize that it took two months to get a seven minute video finished, but I was quite busy with IRL stuff.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Forgot to post the link for the lesson about textures.
http://www.nathansalapat.com/mmc/02-04-Textures

Would anybody be interested in this videos being recorded in 1440p rather than 1080p? I record most of my other videos at 1440p now, but for people viewing on lower resolution screens it might become an issue to see text clearly.