Help Needed! Convertion from Minecraft maps into Minetest.

LaniBani

Help Needed! Convertion from Minecraft maps into Minetest.

by LaniBani » Post

Hey everyone, I am new to this community and very impressed by some of the contents spread here.

We design Minecraft Workshops with a small team and work with kids during school holidays. We switched from minecraft-edu a while ago to minetest, because we believe in open source media and don't want to limit ourselves. You can find some of our contributions through: https://github.com/minetest4edu

Our next project is already taking place next week, on January 31st and we still need to port a minecraft world, we created through geoboxers.com, into minetest. I posted on reddit recently and people told me this portation can be done via linux tools following sofar's map converter. Sofar himself kindly offered help and support in our project but has not replied to my pm via reddit yet. Worst case would be me trying to port this world without any experience on doing so and also not having a linux based system, which I would also have to set up first...

Can anyone help us out? Any help is much appreciated...we will also make sure to reward your efforts.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Help Needed! Convertion from Minecraft maps into Minetes

by rubenwardy » Post

Nice! I love to see work like this around Minetest. I don't have much experience with conversion, as I don't have Minecraft, but I'd be interested in doing mods and engine improvements for such an area!

Would you be interested in some form of chat room or board to discuss #edutech? There's a lot of work in this area, would be great to see sharing and collaboration
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

I got your email, we'll get your map converted somehow. Meanwhile, in this thread, as rubenwardy suggests, we can maybe figure out how to strengthen the educational use of minetest :)

LaniBani

by LaniBani » Post

Thanks for the fast response!

I will gladly share the experience we gathered through ongoing workshops since the last 2 1/2 years. Like I said, we used to work with an older version of minecraft-edu and were missing some of the features when switching to minetest. With each workshop we try to improve the minetest-edu mod, so you stay in full control during the workshops. I am kinda busy right now but I'll make sure to list what we have been working on and what needs further improvement. Furthermore I will also give detail on how to build up educational workshops for kids and also their parents.

LaniBani

by LaniBani » Post

Okay,

as sofar has gotten back to me and already was so kind to convert the world, this thread can be closed.

Which Minetest-Edu threads should I/we participate in, once the workshop is over?

Thanks for the kind support! :)

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

https://wiki.minetest.net/MinetestEDU is a good start, there are a few forum threads on this too, but I fail to find them quickly. I wonder if we should have a special subforum for educational use.