The Dying Platforms Content Salvage Squad

ShadMOrdre

Re: The Dying Platforms Content Salvage Squad

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Looking at g0ogles images, it doesn't really look as if biomes o plenty has as much as lib_ecology. The update I posted yesterday contains over 100 plants, 100 trees, multiple schems for each tree, 200+ biomes, which are subdivided into as many as 10 ecosystems. There has become so much depth I fear I'll not be able to fill it all. As it is, I posted the update cause my eyes were getting a little googley. (I should've put the data into a .csv to crunch through it all). There are still some plants and maybe even a tree or two that may not be generating anywhere. There are certainly a lot of unused tree schems. Help on this front, from anyone, would be appreciated.

runs cool_trees mod uses 32pix textures, which fit more with MC/MCL2 than with lib_ecology, but after I reduced them to 16pix 16 color the style blended much better. More variation than what I could scrounge up in the various MT mods that make up lib_mat / lib_eco. Still, there are more items to add, (australia, aoteara, farming, xocean all come to mind).

Please do grab biomes o plenty and all other mods that you can. I don't just advocate the nature related stuff. This was really more a distraction. I have a town mod that I want to get fleshed out, as well as a couple of others. I also like to look into a more comprehensive "game" object that would do what awards, sys4_quests, and others do (rules that are independent of (api) the underlying objects that use the rules (mods that define nodes and usage)), as well as better "game" management logic. I also want to dive into some mapgen to go along with lib_mat/lib_eco.

Mods that can provide quality media in those regards would be great. Unfortunately, I don't think the mod code will get much use here, as most of us won't decompile Java to recompile Lua. Except for those who might still play a moddable version of MC on a PC, where mods can be installed, I otherwise don't see much use for mod code.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

I saw that Minecraft Forum is shutting down. It will soon be read-only.
It is not, forum will work as usual with different company maintaining it: https://www.minecraftforum.net/news/607 ... -beginning

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Fixer wrote:
I saw that Minecraft Forum is shutting down. It will soon be read-only.
It is not, forum will work as usual with different company maintaining it: https://www.minecraftforum.net/news/607 ... -beginning
Well look at that. Regardless, freeing up MC resources for use in MT is still relevant. Perhaps I should’ve named the thread The Dying Ecosystem Content Salvage Squad.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

The Minecraft forums has been in decline for a long time. It reached its peak around the release of Minecraft 1.0, so it has been in decline for years. It didn't help when Twitch bought Curse a couple of years ago, alienating the last of the best Minecraft users.

It seems like parts of Minecraft are in decline while others are growing. It is possible that Minecraft players are becoming less interested in mods, due to better Minecraft updates and more sophisticated maps, "command block creations," and "data packs." Minecraft seems to be becoming more popular with newer users and less popular with older ones. Updates such as 1.9 have alienated large parts of the Minecraft community.

If there is something to salvage from the dying parts of Minecraft, it would be an analysis of the Minecraft golden age. Whatever made Minecraft and its old forums so popular in the early days could be applied to Minetest.
Currently working on new mods.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Your analysis seems sound.

However, whatever factors contributing in what made Minecraft isn't just going to be repeatable once more. If anything MT will need to build on top of the MC experience.

Red_King_Cyclops

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22618
Maybe Minetest itself needs to be salvaged as well.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

texmex,

Perhaps this can be folded into the proposal I've made, in that collecting media, in a central location, both on the web as a resource and backup, but also from say, sofars, media server, and made easily available through hooks in the game proposal idea could be a great way to make the content more easily accessible for general users, as well as, providing safe havens from dying platforms and websites.

Shad

texmex

by texmex » Post

Sounds excellent.

Red_King_Cyclops

Suggestions for Minecraft updates on the Minecraft forums should also be salvaged. Some of them presented good ideas that could be used for Minetest mods and games. Examples of good suggestions include, but are not limited to, a multipart Minetest 2 idea and a fantasy space idea.