Community Minetest Project (CMP)

Chiantos

Community Minetest Project (CMP)

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 05:29, edited 1 time in total.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Community Minetest Project (CMP)

by sofar » Post

yes

because creating a new community is a good way to help another community

I totally follow you on that logic

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

"The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once, and it reduces your influence."
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:because creating a new community is a good way to help another community
Of course not. And of course will this fork fail like all the other forks that were made out of frustration. But don’t look just at the text – look at the intention behind it.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
sofar wrote:because creating a new community is a good way to help another community
Of course not. And of course will this fork fail like all the other forks that were made out of frustration. But don’t look just at the text – look at the intention behind it.
I can only guess at the intention, since there aren't any specific complaints here, and I don't use discord. There are a lot of unhappy posters that seem to assume that everyone knows what problems they're talking about, but don't bother to explain or even link to previous conversations. If I were having problems with the development of a project, I'd have a running list of failed attempts at reasoning with the developers that I could link to in every post.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

sofar wrote:yes

because creating a new community is a good way to help another community

I totally follow you on that logic
Im having a De Ja Vu moment.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> ... control by a minority of people who refuse both to help people really to their project and also to integrate ideas or even bug fixes or limits related to this engine. Nothing is done in the idea of helping to allow the use of the project to help others to create their own project,

> This engine also suffers from a problem where the community can not really participate.

All this is clearly untrue.
This sort of criticism is quite common but just arises when someone disagrees with some decisions the core devs made.

> the documentation is obsolete

lua_api.txt is instantly updated when a PR is merged that makes a change. The wiki is not official documentation.

> a fork that would be controlled by the community and where the choices would be made by the whole community, not by a minority of people

Most of the community are unqualified to make technical or coding decisions, so you will inevitably end up with a small group of people making the technical and coding decisions, to avoid disaster.
Even if a democratic vote is held on whether to add feature X, this may seem non-technical, but that feature may not be a good idea due to technical reasons that most will not understand and will not accept. So even non-technical decisions can be damaging to make democratically.

However, i wish you the best, it's always good to see new forks and projects.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

You've probably got inspired by the glorious history of two precedents for your idea : FreeMiner and Voxelands. And if not, it's imo best to start with learning a bit about these two projects.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message