SAMMY & JUANCHI fontZ

runs

SAMMY & JUANCHI fontZ

by runs » Post

juanchi_fontHD.png
juanchi_fontHD.png (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
A Samantha's Christmas gift for y'all !!!

SAMMY & JUANCHI

WOW, some news fonts very suitable for Minetest !!!

WOW, Retro look and feel.

Do you think this font should replace the default Minetets font? If so, let me know and I will do a PR.

License

SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE (OFL-1.1)

Made with

bitfontmaker2

Download
sammy-juanchi.zip
(11.28 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Charset
charset.png
charset.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Last edited by runs on Fri Dec 23, 2022 22:40, edited 10 times in total.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: Juanchi Font

by CalebJ » Post

Looks pretty good! The ß and @ look a little off though.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Well then, the TI-83+ calculator's font would be very suited for Minetest:
font.png
font.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Or any 6x8 pixel dot-matrix LCD character display, for that matter. They all look just about the same as yours to me, save a few minor differences. It's a good and classic style to use.

But none of these could never be Minetest's default font because they don't support large enough character sets. The world contains much more the ASCII character set, even assuming you stay within Latin-based languages. I have a high degree of certainty that a PR for any such font would be turned down.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

runs

by runs » Post

v-rob wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 04:38
Well then, the TI-83+ calculator's font would be very suited for Minetest:

font.png

Or any 6x8 pixel dot-matrix LCD character display, for that matter. They all look just about the same as yours to me, save a few minor differences. It's a good and classic style to use.

But none of these could never be Minetest's default font because they don't support large enough character sets. The world contains much more the ASCII character set, even assuming you stay within Latin-based languages. I have a high degree of certainty that a PR for any such font would be turned down.
Yes, you are right

My font is only for Latin based languages. I realized thet Minetets default font has a lot of no-latin chars.

:-(

Anyway I think that the deafult font of Minetest are too much serious for a game. I would prefer a kiddy or weird one.

runs

by runs » Post

v2

I've redone some chars and added new ones.

AwesomeDragon97

by AwesomeDragon97 » Post

This is cool, but you should probably make the lowercase b and d mirror images of each other or it looks weird. Also you should add the infinity sign (∞).

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

if you want to do a pr to include this in minetest, then I think the PR would have to include a main menu option to set the font. If people can choose the font in-game, then other fonts that don't support every language may be possible.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

btw, minetest needs a font for: regular text, bold, Italics, bold and italics, monospaced, mono bold, mono italics, and mono-bold-italics. otherwise, when mods use formspecs with stylized text, the pixel font won't be used.

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 23:04
if you want to do a pr to include this in minetest, then I think the PR would have to include a main menu option to set the font. If people can choose the font in-game, then other fonts that don't support every language may be possible.
Yep, but my plan goes much further, a revamp of the main menu.

I want the Minetets logo rotating. Like in the Chinese version of Minecraft. Which is really cool.

minelogo.png
minelogo.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

runs

by runs » Post

A mini world of Minetest would give much play as main menu, the cubes have 6 faces, and instead of tabs you could rotate the Minetest World until you see the desired face.

I have a lot of ideas and I'll show it in a post dedicated to it.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

[TL;DR] It's a quite nice pixel font, but I don't think it should be default.

Bitmap fonts are looking bad in Minetest because its' formspecs (Main Menu is a formspec too as far as I know) are made for sans serif fonts like Arimo (which is the current default), and most bitmap fonts are looking too wide and sometimes too blurred. DK about Juanchi Font specifically, just saying this from my experience with using fonts like Minecraftia with Minetest.
Also, bitfontmaker2 sadly doesn't support anything beyond Basic Latin and a big part of Extended Latin, which means that adding other Unicode symbols (like Cyrillic or Greek ones) would require using different (and probably much more complicated) font-making tools.
Otherwise, it's a nice font. Good job!
MineClone2 dev and modder and the creator of Voxelgarden (revived) || Codeberg

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

runs wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:27
I would prefer a kiddy or weird one.
I don't prefer. But your font look good.

runs

by runs » Post

v3

- Shrinked the letters l, r, i, f and t to a better readibility and compactation of the words.

runs

Re: s

by runs » Post

sammy_charset.png
sammy_charset.png (22.56 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
sammy.png
sammy.png (105.2 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
New font: SAMMY

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

rudzik8 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 14:08
Bitmap fonts are looking bad in Minetest because its' formspecs (Main Menu is a formspec too as far as I know) are made for sans serif fonts like Arimo (which is the current default), and most bitmap fonts are looking too wide and sometimes too blurred. DK about Juanchi Font specifically, just saying this from my experience with using fonts like Minecraftia with Minetest.
Also, bitfontmaker2 sadly doesn't support anything beyond Basic Latin and a big part of Extended Latin, which means that adding other Unicode symbols (like Cyrillic or Greek ones) would require using different (and probably much more complicated) font-making tools.
Minetest has had a setting for quite some time now that allows you to set integer scaling of pixel fonts, font_size_divisible_by

runs

by runs » Post

ROllerozxa wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:31
rudzik8 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 14:08
Minetest has had a setting for quite some time now that allows you to set integer scaling of pixel fonts, font_size_divisible_by
yeah, it exists! I ignored that.

runs

Re: SAMMY & JUANCHI fontZ

by runs » Post

v4

- Scaled the fonts, more bigger.