Create a creative, serious build team.

Horka
GitHub: Clemstriangular
In-game: Horka

Re: Create a creative, serious buid team.

by Horka » Post

Hi.
I found that build I hope you like it. I started making plans. And I don't know how long it will take me to build.
A small question.
Do you know if someone is creating a mod to have realistic water. (reflections...)
And can you give me names of mods or tools you know that can help me build faster. For example to create a map outside minetest. Because don't make a reconstruction and I would like it to resemble the original as much as possible.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Do you know where I can find the old versions of world painter, because the new version does not work for minetest ?
Thanks

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:30
Do you know where I can find the old versions of world painter, because the new version does not work for minetest ?
Thanks
You might try this wiki page which contains links to 2.7.18 and 2.6.5 downloads.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Horka

by Horka » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:04
Horka wrote:
Thanks
You might try this wiki page which contains links to 2.7.18 and 2.6.5 downloads.
I have tested them but they don't work.
And the latest version does not allow to extract the maps with the Minetest format.
:(
I would need the latest version offered by "Captain_Chaos" for minetest which is 2.13.2

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 15:24
Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:04
Horka wrote:
Thanks
I have tested them but they don't work.
And the latest version does not allow to extract the maps with the Minetest format.
:(
I would need the latest version offered by "Captain_Chaos" for minetest which is 2.13.2
I can try to build it for you, but what operating system do you need it for?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Horka

by Horka » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 15:33
Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it. : )
I am using Windows x64. However, if it takes too much of your time, I can send you the map that I have created so that you can extract it in Minetest format (if the older versions work for you).
Also, I did not fully understand your response, so if you need more information, please let me know.
And thank you again!

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 19:42
Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 15:33
Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it. : )
I am using Windows x64. However, if it takes too much of your time, I can send you the map that I have created so that you can extract it in Minetest format (if the older versions work for you).
Also, I did not fully understand your response, so if you need more information, please let me know.
And thank you again!
The bad news is: the build failed due to this old proprietary "JIDE" GUI library that is paywalled/have to use a trial. I could probably find a copy of that library in a copy of WorldPainter.. but then I may as well have WorldPainter..

The good news is: I found that the download links for 2.13.2 and 2.13.3 are still working on the WorldPainter website. Hurrah.. now I have to remember to take the path of least resistance more often.

Horka

by Horka » Post

The greek mod is broken how to fix it thank you?
Here is the error message:
ModError: Runtime error from mod 'greek' in callback on_mods_loaded(): ...netest\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\greek/compat.lua:43:
[greek] Compatibility mode is enabled but no valid marble was found to alias 'greeknodes:marble'.
Please give greek.marble a valid marble item or disable compatibility mode (greek.greeknodes_aliases = false).

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
...netest\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\greek/compat.lua:43: in function <...netest\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\greek/compat.lua:37>
...st\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:446: in function <...st\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:432>

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 14:51
[greek] Compatibility mode is enabled but no valid marble was found to alias 'greeknodes:marble'.
Please give greek.marble a valid marble item or disable compatibility mode (greek.greeknodes_aliases = false).
Do as it says: Go reconfigure the mod with the settings menu.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 15:21
Horka wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 14:51
Do as it says: Go reconfigure the mod with the settings menu.
ok, that works, I thought it was more complex than that. THANKS : )

Tuxilio
In-game: gamer777 tuxilio

by Tuxilio » Post

Hi,

this is a really cool idea! This could really help to bring new people. I think making videos of great buildings is the best way to get more players.
I would love to join and I have already joined the Matrix group (I would prefer Matrix too).
I've already taken the poll. Maybe you guys can provide some results?
Is there someone here who could host the server?

Tuxilio

Gorm

by Gorm » Post

Hello!
Interesting project. I've build some historical sites like the pyramid of Kukulcan (Maya) and some minor villages from around the alps they are called lake dwellings or stilt house. (Pfahlbauten) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfahlbau.

But i dont like to build in creative. I always do it in survival more fun.

But as Shad said you need a server where you begin. A small one will do it. Just start!

I would also prefer Matrix over discord. But to get as much ppl as possible in the boat you have to connect these two channels in some way.

Yours Gorm

Tuxilio

by Tuxilio » Post

Hi,

I'd prefer survival mode and MineClone 5 (or MCL2, but I like MCL5 more). But creative mode is also good.

Yours, Tuxilio

Horka

by Horka » Post

Tuxilio wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:02
Hi,

I'd prefer survival mode and MineClone 5 (or MCL2, but I like MCL5 more). But creative mode is also good.

Yours, Tuxilio
Okay, that's really cool. If you're interested, for now, you're the only one who has filled out the survey. So, you understand that I'm not making progress on the forum, Discord, Matrix, etc. For now, I've been working alone on a project to show others what I would like to do. I think it's the best way to attract people to this project.

Using World Builder and a height map, I have created a reconstruction of the Ephesus site. I have already built the temple, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I have also started creating a new mod because I noticed that many blocks were missing to make it as realistic as possible.

I believe that if I continue like this, it will take me several months to finish this project, which is a bit long. However, if you are genuinely interested in helping me with this project, I would be delighted. I'm building in Creative mode because for a project of this magnitude (200,000 inhabitants, 2,500 years ago), it's necessary. Starting in Creative mode will be easier because with fewer people, progress will be much faster. I am reconstructing everything to scale using the original plans.

If you're interested in joining this initial project, which would serve as a starting point, let me know. I will publish my mod. I host a server, and you are welcome to join. But I must warn you that it takes time because we need to do research to make it as realistic as possible, even if we use our imagination to enhance it. Please understand that I am currently alone in this project, and I don't know much about Minetest.

I believe that using mods is necessary, and personally, Minetest Game is more than enough for me. I would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Thank you.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Gorm wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:30
Hello!
Interesting project. I've build some historical sites like the pyramid of Kukulcan (Maya) and some minor villages from around the alps they are called lake dwellings or stilt house. (Pfahlbauten) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfahlbau.
Matrix link:
https://matrix.to/#/#M_B-T:matrix.org
I created it for the team.
And I'm admin

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Horka,

I think each respondent to this topic is interested, so more than 1.

As for game base, while Mineclone has decent graphics, I would encourage using Minetest Game as the base, because builds would be more portable.

There already exists MTSEdit, to convert between game nodes, but this isn't ideal.

Texture packs also need to be considered amongst builders. Some builds are designed with texture pack in mind, but don't always translate well when using default graphics, whether they be MCL or MTG.

Also, try to minimize extra mods, especially creating new mods just to add a couple new blocks. Try, as best you can, to use existing mods for this, or make sure you release your own custom mods, if you use them.

Either way, looks like you've found where to start.

Shad

Horka

by Horka » Post

Which mods are essential to host a server safely and be able to manage it, assign ranks, choose whether people can join the server... ?

Horka

by Horka » Post

The project is progressing, but I will need some help.
Do you think creating a roadmap to define tasks could be useful for the builds?
Also, do you know if it's possible to connect Discord and Matrix?
THANKS

bzt

by bzt » Post

Horka wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 19:01
Which mods are essential to host a server safely and be able to manage it, assign ranks, choose whether people can join the server... ?
I agree with Shad, MCL has way too much game logic to serve for a serious build-only game (but possible). Also it has its own naming convention, which makes MCL incompatible with most other mods.

Strictly speaking, no mods are essential per se. Ideally you would start from scratch, with no mods at all, and adding only the builder mods one-by-one as you go. That's a lot of work though. MTG is an easy way out, as it provides lots of useful blocks, but no mobs and minimal game logic by default.

Although they are not essential, but I believe you should consider installing these mods:
- WorldEdit (has lots of features making building easier, including scriptable commands)
- Handle Schematics (main selling point that it can import different formats, like Minecraft .schem files and handles different node mappings)
- Schematic Editor (nothing special, just the usual editing tools, but very very well written, nice UI and very easy to use. It makes creating schems fun)
- ...ideally not needed, but better to be safe than sorry, some sort of area ownership mod to protect creations.

Cheers,
bzt

Horka

by Horka » Post

A coder/creator would be interested in this project. I am able to create 3D blocks, but coding is a bit more challenging for me. Additionally, I'm having trouble applying textures designed for non-square blocks, resulting in unattractive automatic arrangement. Can I define the textures from Blender? Thank you.

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 17:55
A coder/creator would be interested in this project. I am able to create 3D blocks, but coding is a bit more challenging for me. Additionally, I'm having trouble applying textures designed for non-square blocks, resulting in unattractive automatic arrangement. Can I define the textures from Blender? Thank you.
When you create a node with the mesh drawtype, it will use the UV mapping information from the model's material information just like you have it in Blender. The usual workflow is set up your .blend file with a material that points to ../textures/whatever.png and uses "closest" sampling instead of linear interpolation. Read more over at the wiki page "Using Blender".

Tuxilio

by Tuxilio » Post

Hi,

there's a Matrix-Discord bridge: https://matrix.org/bridges/#discord

Yes, I'm interested to build greek things and do some (or much) research.
Can you give the link to your server? Thank you.

Regards,
Tuxilio

Horka

by Horka » Post

Tuxilio wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 15:29
Hi,

there's a Matrix-Discord bridge: https://matrix.org/bridges/#discord

Yes, I'm interested to build greek things and do some (or much) research.
Can you give the link to your server? Thank you.

Regards,
Tuxilio
Hi Tuxilio, I wanted to give you an update on the progress.
Currently, the map is ready and awaiting use.
However, I want to ensure that everything is in place before launching the server. The mode development is underway, and I'm making good progress. I'll keep you informed as soon as the server is ready.
Please keep an eye on Discord/Matrix as I'll be adding project-related information soon for those who want to contribute.
Thank you for your ongoing support.

Horka

by Horka » Post

Hi, I wanted to tell you that the project is moving forward. I had some problems with the mod I'm creating but it should be finished soon.
Just a question: what code should I use so that the half blocks have the same behavior as in minetest game, because paramtype does not work as I want.
THANKS

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Horka wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 18:28
Hi, I wanted to tell you that the project is moving forward. I had some problems with the mod I'm creating but it should be finished soon.
Just a question: what code should I use so that the half blocks have the same behavior as in minetest game, because paramtype does not work as I want.
THANKS
I think you are looking for paramtype2 = facedir, which has the standard 24 rotations which you can cycle through with the screwdriver or another tool like rhotator.