Ways Of Word - creative writing encouragement - edu project on MineTest(Single-player clone).We did creative writing 1st

WaysOfWord
GitHub: WaysOfWord

Re: Ways Of Word - creative writing encouragement - edu project on MineTest(Single-player clone).We did creative writing

by WaysOfWord » Post

Thanks, and I really have done my best, really and truly. *All* the other contributors have used academic grade language and this bot malarkey is unfair fantasy. Check my details and check directly with your own webmaster, everything human is there, in the account. I'll leave it here and take the kind advice already given. You may also move on. But thanks again, some of the advice and pointers have been helpful. We can close it here folks, but take a tip from me - don't exclude poetry from MineTest, an environment which facilitates writing. Best! Mickey

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Ways Of Word - creative writing encouragement - edu project on MineTest(Single-player clone).We did creative writing

by firefox » Post

WaysOfWord wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 17:05
Thanks, and I really have done my best, really and truly. *All* the other contributors have used academic grade language and this bot malarkey is unfair fantasy. Check my details and check directly with your own webmaster, everything human is there, in the account.
as much human as a telemarketer advertising a ceramic frying pan, eloquently talking about how awesome it is for 2 hours but all he does is melt some butter and fry an egg.

most of your texts seem to advertise for minetest and it's possibilities, although it appears that only a few points are mentioned and reapeated over and over.
we already know that minetest is great, that's why we are here. what we want to know is what you did with it, and this is where it falls short.

all i have gathered from your posts is that Minecraft has released a new feature, which i don't know and you didn't explain, and that you claim to have implemented said feature in Minetest first.
but what exactly is it?

written signs have always been in Minecraft, and so we had them in Minetest too. not sure which one added the ability to write into books first, but i doubt that MC just added that now.
apparently the special thing here is the map that you created, but what for? and what did MC roll out that makes them comparable to say that you did it first? (also, who did it better?)

all you did to explain was to delegate us to look at your screenshots. i see little written signs with short poems on them, that's all. from an aesthetic viewpoint the structures are rather unappealing.

from the ongoing discussion i get that you somehow want to showcase and encourage creative writing within a virtual environment.
i find that very intriguing, but i'm turning in circles here.
guess i'm going to look up what this new MC update is about, and maybe i'll be smarter after that.

at this point i'm only following this topic out of frustration.

EDIT:
ok, so i read up and it turns out the update is totally not what i expected.
it's true that hanging signs and writable books and bookshelves have been implemented in MT prior (as well as bamboo and cherry blossom trees), but none of these appear to be related to this.
if all you did was write stuff on signs and books, then i'm sorry to tell you that other players have done so too.

now i feel like i've watched one of those "history" documentaries about pyramid aliens and werewolf nazis where they hype up a vague premise for about 90 mins (continuously interrupted by ad breaks) just to conclude that the answer might be somewhere out there.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

At this point I've gathered the project is about this:

A world to wander and gather ideas and inspiration for writing text works.

This in itself is a good idea and it's nice to have been implemented by someone.

However the overall presentation of the project is lacking, if I may say so.

The posts seem not to get to the point and are worded unusually.

Also, while it may be cool to have a drop-in MT installation with the map pre-installed,
this (justifiably) raises suspicion about the legitimacy of the project, as only a few files (most importantly: map.sqlite) are actually needed to distribute a map.
It creates the impression of something malicious being hidden within the MT installation.

That being said, I would recommend you release the map without any pre-built minetest installation.
You've told us yourself that you are not experienced in programming etc. so it's unlikely you've done something to the bundled MT installation that can't be replicated by the end user.
This is a cool signature. :)

WaysOfWord

by WaysOfWord » Post

Hi fella's. Thanks. Yes, I take your points, my presentational approach was wrong and simplistic and may have just been seen as marketing. Sorry. My excitement over MineTest is not diminished in the (obvious to us) fact that MineTest executes writing possibilities in a much more enhanced and lovely way that MineCraft and has done for a long time! My central focus is in the matter of creative writing, itself, and getting these bits of prose (from others, I may add) highlighted. Please note, my stuff is just to show what is possible. I am sorry if I have caused any offence, here, and this was not my intention in my enthusiasm for MineTest in Creative Mode. I have kept the link to this chat live elsewhere so that the wider community, out and about, can easily see the criticisms in black and white! Also, your take-down of the main weakness is correct. I, too, recognise the huge drawback (even though I have found it to function completely) of providing a comprehensive .zip file. I assure you that, most likely, my collaborators will be known to me directly and the project will be on a local computing basis. I will also attempt to find a online repository which permits antivirus approved certification of the file, rather than merely using Google Drive. My son is sitting right beside me, as I write this, and he states an observation that a strong reason why my comms in this thread are being misread as bot-talk, is because I am not showing any anger. Just a point, maybe(?) He may join this thread if it would be seen as useful - a person who generationally will be nearer to the mark. Sadly, it is true that my computing resources are too humble to professionally sort this out, yet honestly, I would be totally in agreement if an equipped person would volunteer to take the idea under their wing and manfully solve the issues which are beyond my abilities and which cause the trouble. Naturally and of course, all recognition of such decency would be made clear. I do not seek anything except for an account of my small wordy contributions within the large-build project even if they are not startling. I know that it may bore the pants off many, but I wish to inspire further use of MineTest in writing prose and small stories and a few talented teachers have voiced an interest in my idea - which they have never heard of before, elsewhere. I find it wrong that MineCraft can begin to make claims of creative writing potential, where MineTest has been doing it better for years! I know that you fella's would rather inspire coding - also very honourable - but my main manner (London English) is prose! I take your further points and will see what I can do. If someone may take an interest in the (oh, dear) file itself - check it thoroughly for viruses - and place it on a old system to see visually what my lowly concept is, I would be most grateful. If not lads, this is going to take some time to resolve. I am going to ask my son to get onboard, today. I wish you luck, THX and Slainte Mhath, Mickey McNeill in Vienna.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Someone please just hash the binary executable files inside the zip with something like sha256 and compare them to the official release. If there's a hash match you can post that here and tell people to stop worrying, or upload the hash list here so it can be compared.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

@Blockhead, with all due respect, I would not encourage anyone to download a prepackaged .zip file containing a binary of an open source project, when the creator of said .zip has enough skill to create a .zip of the entire Minetest folder, yet, seems to claim to be unable to create a .zip of the /world folder within.

As far as I know, github is pretty accessible to everyone. Maybe access is limited for those in countries currently under sanction by the USA. But, for the most part, this is not as important or relevant as recreating the .zip with only the world folder included, or posting a mod list, both so easily created by someone with enough skill to create and post a .zip file in the first place.

@WaysOfWord,

Please, recreate the .zip file, including ONLY the world folder for the generated world you wish to share. You can post a topic in the Maps forum section. Also, please post a list of the mods that you are using, since it is this key piece of information that will enable the rest of us to better help you achieve your goal.

Shad

WaysOfWord

by WaysOfWord » Post

Thanks fellas! I think it is now blazingly obvious that this matter is *not* one of heist, but rather skills less than novice! At least that is clear, now - hopefully. I will follow your instructions to the letter and .zip the world folder separately. As a novice, I know nothing of the benefit in excluding "a binary", but trust your judgement, nonetheless. Additionally, just for follow up info - in my attempts to figure out if I could host a large .zip file within a repository capable of actually certifying said .zip as virus free, I have read that very recently .zip files have become a hard core in malware distribution. Naturally, .zip compressed files have for a computing age (I am in my late 50s) held risks, but it seems from, what I read, that these risks have been upscaled, of late. Thus, my ,what now seems overly simplistic solution, is hamstrung in its original concept. Although, maybe now potentially sorted within this able tech community, within my own set of arty-farty people who know nothing of the technicalities of MineTest it will be a non-starter, you can be sure of that. Oje. They will have a list of mods to marry with a world (held somewhere) that they have then to find and without laboriously and individually downloading every mod, then within the map they will encounter loads of "unknown block". The teachers will go 'huh!?' and the kids will go 'yo!'. Hopefully the kids will be able to guide the teachers. Laters', I am sure that I will be back. BTW, do you have to suffer too many of these under-novice enquiries? Tiresome to you teachers, eh? :) Big ups, strength, a way will be found. Mickey

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

WaysOfWord wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 05:52
They will have a list of mods to marry with a world (held somewhere) that they have then to find and without laboriously and individually downloading every mod, then within the map they will encounter loads of "unknown block". The teachers will go 'huh!?' and the kids will go 'yo!'. Hopefully the kids will be able to guide the teachers. Laters', I am sure that I will be back. BTW, do you have to suffer too many of these under-novice enquiries? Tiresome to you teachers, eh? :) Big ups, strength, a way will be found. Mickey
As it happens, you can include mods with a world instead of requiring people to find mods or download and replace their mods directory with your own. This is usually known as "world mods". More info at the wiki. You could ship Ways of Word as a world with worldmods instead of the whole game directory.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

WaysOfWord

by WaysOfWord » Post

Thanks Blockhead for the heads-up on this and the link. I reckon this old word-smith is going to have to learn a new language, after all. I would, indeed, like to be on the customary norms side of things. So, I will make best attempts. Also, I have openly flagged up, on my side of this project that the map and its essentials are now under review and that merely providing the map - "as is" - per .zip needs being brought into acceptable conventions, here (and externally). I'll plod through and see if I can successfully compartmentalise the map. Ta for now, Mickey